Steve Spurrier's comments about Notre Dame | Syracusefan.com

Steve Spurrier's comments about Notre Dame

Btstimpy

Scout Team
I don't see this already posted here, but I'm sure it will rile up some Irish Fans. Spurrier is at the SEC media event this week, and apparently the SEC coaches met with the BCS Commissioner. The commissioner told the SEC coaches that he had meetings with the Conference Commissioners and Jack Swarbrick. Spurrier said that none of the 14 SEC coaches could figure out why Jack Swarbrick was at those meetings. Swarbrick is not a conference commisioner. And he said that the BCS Commissioner had no answer.

Then he said “For whatever reason, all 14 of our head coaches thought that Notre Dame should join the (Atlantic Coast Conference) and play football like the rest of us.”

I thought it was pretty funny.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/spo...cle_3f41e756-eec3-11e2-8c3b-001a4bcf6878.html

The SEC has done as much as any conference sanctioning ND's independent position by rejecting having to win one's conference's championship to get into the playoffs. Maybe next time the SEC will vote differently. I doubt they will though...

This is why I don't think ND will ever need to join fully.

The SEC has done as much as any conference sanctioning ND's independent position by rejecting having to win one's conference's championship to get into the playoffs. Maybe next time the SEC will vote differently. I doubt they will though...

Exactly. Those comments are totally disingenuous. If the SEC really felt that way, all they would have had to do was support champions only. If they did, Notre Dame would be in the SEC.

He can say that, but it was obviously much more important to the SEC that they have a chance to get multiple teams in the playoff than to do anything vis a vis Notre Dame.

Exactly. Those comments are totally disingenuous. If the SEC really felt that way, all they would have had to do was support champions only. If they did, Notre Dame would be in the SEC.

He can say that, but it was obviously much more important to the SEC that they have a chance to get multiple teams in the playoff than to do anything vis a vis Notre Dame.

Exactly right. They want two teams in the coming playoffs each year. And, if ND's continued refusal ever lead to the ACC's destabilisation, so be it. That'd mean Mike Slive could make another play at getting North Carolina and Virginia into the league.

The SEC will NEVER do anything that prevents them from getting multiple teams into the playoffs.

Notre Dame would never join the Big 10, SEC, or Big 12. That is why the conferences don't push them, they don't want Notre Dame to be forced to join a conference, they all know it would be the ACC.

Notre Dame was one of the biggest winners in the last round of realignment with Texas A&M and Rutgers. The B1G is the only conference that can stand up to the SEC sadly, and I hate the B1G more than the SEC. If playoffs eventually expand to 8 teams like I think it can then you could see a scenario where the ACC, Big XII, B1G,PAC-12, SEC would get automatic bids and then three at-larges would be selected. I don't think there will be any way to push ND into a conference without all the conferences outside of the SEC being for conference champions only in the 4 team playoffs and I doubt publicly the ACC would be for conference champions only because they wouldn't want to appear like they are forcing ND's hand and ticking them off.
Spurrier needs to and worry about North Carolina in their opener and hope he wins something finally before Clowney goes to the NFL.

The SEC will NEVER do anything that prevents them from getting multiple teams into the playoffs.

Agreed. Which is why I said that I doubt they would ever be in favor of a conference championship requirement.

Notre Dame was one of the biggest winners in the last round of realignment with Texas A&M and Rutgers. The B1G is the only conference that can stand up to the SEC sadly, and I hate the B1G more than the SEC. If playoffs eventually expand to 8 teams like I think it can then you could see a scenario where the ACC, Big XII, B1G,PAC-12, SEC would get automatic bids and then three at-larges would be selected. I don't think there will be any way to push ND into a conference without all the conferences outside of the SEC being for conference champions only in the 4 team playoffs and I doubt publicly the ACC would be for conference champions only because they wouldn't want to appear like they are forcing ND's hand and ticking them off.
Spurrier needs to and worry about North Carolina in their opener and hope he wins something finally before Clowney goes to the NFL.

I hope that Carolina can ruin the Ol' Ballcoach's season the first week. That'd be absolutely HUGE for Carolina, and, it'd be a major blow to SCar's season.

LOL. South Carolina hasn't been relevant in Southeastern Conference football since they've been in the SEC. Zero BCS Bowl appearances. Don't expect them to start now. Hopefully UNC will have a positive result in that game.

I'll root for NC no doubt, but SC doesn't annoy me. Maybe it's because I've enjoyed my time there so much.

Correct. But keeping the BCS meetings reserved for only conference commissioners and not for any individual school athetic directors won't keep the SEC from getting multiple teams into the playoffs. The bigger point he made was "What the hell is Jack Swarbrick doing at the meetings?" I can understand where he was coming from.