Steve Stanard to Kansas State | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Steve Stanard to Kansas State

and the crazy off season continues.....dare I say there could be more?!?!?!?!

and the crazy off season continues...dare I say there could be more?!?!?!?!
I'm not sure if you're just speculating or have some inside info but I will add this tidbit.

The hiring of Gilbert came as a big surprise/shock to the entire staff. No one on staff was consulted or briefed prior to the announcement.

Now, I'm not suggesting that a HC needs to consult with staff regarding hires, but historically, HCDB always did.

Maybe some feelings/egos were hurt or some may feel trust was violated. Hopefully Stanard's departure is the last for the foreseeable future.

Don’t think this is the best time to be making a hire. At least it’s the coach on the staff we’d most expect to leave tbh.

I wouldn’t be so shocked if Dino and Co knew that this was coming and already has a replacement inline and ready to hire

When there is an open casting call for a new DC with a new scheme, I would think every defensive assistant would be out interviewing. Maybe we’re not done. I still wouldnt be shocked to see Lynch leave; demoted coaches don’t tend to stick around.

I respectfully disagree. If they wanted to let Stanard go, they could and would have done so. Disappointed Stanard would do this to Dino so late in the game/close to Spring practice after Dino gave him a shot to audition for DC last year and kept him on after the new DC came in, when he could have dumped him for a 3-3-5 LB coach when he hired White.
There's a limited amount of guys with 3-3-5 experience and some might be hesitant to leave their job so late in the process. Will be interesting to see who they get and whether White looks back at his SDSU roots for the position.

We did let him go though. We didn’t fire him but, If we wanted to keep him we would have. We didnt get into a bidding war for a LB coach because well, we can upgrade.

very few coaches are hesitant to leave their job if they get a raise and it gets them another step closer to their end goal.

Im glad for Steve that he left. The bottom line is was passed over. With a new DC he was at best always going to remain a position coach working for someone who got his job and he doesn't know. This is a great decision by Steve and it is great for our new DC to add one of his guys. Last point it would have been hard on the players. As to Lynch if he stays this will be his last year as well for the same reasons.

Such a tough gig for the families. Just when the kids start to build some friendships, family starts to embed in community, everything get ripped up.

Such is life as a coach. I know it’s a choice they make but no way I could do it.

Yes, this.

We’ve moved twice in the past 3 years (after being in our first house for 18).

It SUCKED ROYAL both times.

And this last (and final - next time I “move” it’s gonna be toes up with a sheet over my head ;) ) was only 5 miles from the prior place.
And it still was really difficult.

Can’t imagine ripping up family roots every 2-3-4 years, packing up everything and moving hundreds or thousands of miles away each time.

Yes, this.

And this last (and final - next time I “move” it’s gonna be toes up with a sheet over my head ;) ) was only 5 miles from the prior place.

Can’t imagine ripping up family roots every 2-3-4 years, packing up everything and moving hundreds or thousands of miles away each time.
We were nomads in the first 12 years of marriage. Six moves across the country, plus two more within the same city. Thankfully there were no children involved and back then there was less to pack up.

Yes, this.

i dont want to be mean, but 5 miles?!

Such a tough gig for the families. Just when the kids start to build some friendships, family starts to embed in community, everything get ripped up.

Such is life as a coach. I know it’s a choice they make but no way I could do it.
Absolutely. Can’t imagine it. I lived in the same house my entire childhood and so thankful for it. With the friend thing, it’s a big deal for children, imo.

I'm not sure if you're just speculating or have some inside info but I will add this tidbit.

The hiring of Gilbert came as a big surprise/shock to the entire staff. No one on staff was consulted or briefed prior to the announcement.

Now, I'm not suggesting that a HC needs to consult with staff regarding hires, but historically, HCDB always did.

Maybe some feelings/egos were hurt or some may feel trust was violated. Hopefully Stanard's departure is the last for the foreseeable future.
How in the wide world of sports could a SU DC hire be a shock to anyone anywhere?

The entirety of the coaching universe knew that HDCB was looking for a DC with 3-3-5 Experience. Wasn't it nationally publicized that we hired one already, only to be rebuffed when he took another job?

Are you saying that the coaching staff outside of Dino was unaware there would be a hire after we already hired someone previously who left?

Seriously, if they didn't know there would be a hire, they need to read the news, outside of that I find it hrd to believe.

How in the wide world of sports could a SU DC hire be a shock to anyone anywhere?

The entirety of the coaching universe knew that HDCB was looking for a DC with 3-3-5 Experience. Wasn't it nationally publicized that we hired one already, only to be rebuffed when he took another job?

Are you saying that the coaching staff outside of Dino was unaware there would be a hire after we already hired someone previously who left?

Seriously, if they didn't know there would be a hire, they need to read the news, outside of that I find it hrd to believe.
Um, Gilbert is the OC, not the DC. His hire is suggested as being shocking, not White's.

Um, Gilbert is the OC, not the DC. His hire is suggested as being shocking, not White's.
LOL, I was totally thinking it was our DC hire...apologies wasn't paying attention...but isn't this a thread about Stanard who is/was on the defensive side of the ball?

i dont want to be mean, but 5 miles?!

Yeah. Seems silly, right?

We’d just spent the last 3 years fixing it up and were finally fully settled.
It just wasn’t working for us, so we found another one that does, in the same school district, and closer to everything.
Location, location, location, right?

We still had to pack up 100% of our belongings and move them.
It doesn’t matter if it’s next door, or across the country, that part still blows.

I don’t know how people do it repeatedly.
I know I couldn’t.

Gilbert is the OC...

Yeah. Seems silly, right?

We’d just spent the last 3 years fixing it up and were finally fully settled.
It just wasn’t working for us, so we found another one that does, in the same school district, and closer to everything.
Location, location, location, right?

We still had to pack up 100% of our belongings and move them.
It doesn’t matter if it’s next door, or across the country, that part still blows.

I don’t know how people do it repeatedly.
I know I couldn’t.
I've moved quite a lot (34 years military/DoD). The whole key is to limit your clutter. Before every move I would declutter and donate stuff. Occasionally I would sell something. If moving out of an area...I highly recommend having a SUV/truck with a hitch. Having the option to pack up some of your goods (must use/have right away stuff, valuables, fragile stuff, personal records, clothes, etc...) is really nice and comforting.

I'm assuming Coach Standard is going to get his family at the end of the school year. I've done that before.

Last edited:
I've moved quite a lot (34 years military/DoD). The whole key is to limit your clutter. Before every move I would declutter and donate stuff. Occasionally I would sell something. If moving out of an area...I highly recommend having a SUV/truck with a hitch. Having the option to pack up some of your goods (must use/have right away stuff, valuables, fragile stuff, personal records, clothes, etc...) is really nice and comforting.

I'm assuming Coach Standard is going to get his family at the end of the school year. I've done that before.
it would appear that way...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom