Steven Clark on decision to stay with Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Steven Clark on decision to stay with Syracuse

Good for Clark if he can accomplish his plan. I would never advise that for any kid let alone an athlete. The class load for 3 years plus 2 Summer sessions is a lot, especially with football taking up so much time. I think every student should go on the 5 year plan. There is no rush to enter the real world and college is a great time. You can do the 4 years like normal and then do a semester or two abroad. Get the full experience of college. The only draw back is not graduating with all of your friends.
Another drawback is the co$t of another year of tuition, room & board. If you've got another $60k to burn then great. Most college students and their families don't have that luxury.

Am I the only one who thinks that is an odd plan?
Yep. Why in the world would you leave after 3 years and end up receiving your diploma from UAB instead of Syracuse? The schools aren't even close academically.

Yep. Why in the world would you leave after 3 years and end up receiving your diploma from UAB instead of Syracuse? The schools aren't even close academically.

Sigh.
He would GRADUATE from SU with a degree in 3 years.

Then - go to UAB for Grad school.

Hence the term "Graduate Transfer".

Given the terrible reading comprehension around here, I hope most of our posters aren't SU grads.

Another drawback is the co$t of another year of tuition, room & board. If you've got another $60k to burn then great. Most college students and their families don't have that luxury.

Well at a private school sure. But for a public in state school it would cost half that. And that is before student aid.

RU is $32k
UGA is $25k
Michigan $28k

There's really no reason to put that information out there. Really odd to see. Glad he's staying, but if he's projecting as a strong prospect for the NFL he's going to transfer to UAB?

It's good to have a plan but that's odd.

I think he is just telling a local rag what they want to hear, that he loves the place he came from, and wants to return. I think it is pretty harmless when you put it in those terms.

Yeah I think this is more of an academic thing than anything else. Taking pro football out of the equation, I would wager that UAB has a graduate program he is interested in. And if you can get a Masters (or a good portion of a Masters) paid for in a discipline that he would like to pursue for his future livelihood, then all the power to him. I certainly would have been A LOT better off if my Syracuse undergrad and Masters degree loans were paid off free and clear.

Sigh.
He would GRADUATE from SU with a degree in 3 years.

Then - go to UAB for Grad school.

Hence the term "Graduate Transfer".

Given the terrible reading comprehension around here, I hope most of our posters aren't SU grads.

Plus, UAB has a very good School of Medicine with many specialties highly ranked nationally. It's a city school with a beautiful campus. That's where my daughter is going next year (Not pre-med). I'm just glad they brought back the football program. That was a bunch of state school politics.

IMO, it's a crap thing to put out there. I have a pretty good feeling as to who put that stuff in his head too.

No player, family, or coach is ever bigger than the program. I pray that Babers gets SU football back on track. Frankly, attending Syracuse University and playing football here is a privilege, not a right.

IMO, it's a crap thing to put out there. I have a pretty good feeling as to who put that stuff in his head too.

No player, family, or coach is ever bigger than the program. I pray that Babers gets SU football back on track. Frankly, attending Syracuse University and playing football here is a privilege, not a right.
A privilege he earned, a life he has a right to determine. If he wants to graduate in 3 and spend a year closer to home, who is anybody but himself to tell him he's right or wrong?

I think to jump on him for putting this out there is wrong, he's a 19 yr. old whose reasoning for coming to Syracuse was at the very least partially skewed. Give him an adjustment period and his thoughts may change. He may not even wanna be a PT in a year.

Personally, I'm glad we have a kid on the team giving serious thought to his future.

Not trying to be confrontational, I just have no idea how this can be construed as him believing he's bigger than the program. If he graduates from Syracuse in 3, then bravo, he owes us nothing.

Hi Doug!

Glad he is giving the new staff a chance. Sounds like if spring ball doesn't go like well, he might depart during the summer. I know he loved Coach Shafer and Coach Daoust and that they played a big role getting him to come to Syracuse. I understand where he is coming from.

I hope he continues to show an open mind. I think it is very possible that if he does graduate early, he might end up leaving the program just as it is about to explode on the national scene. I really believe by the time he is a senior, this will be a top 25 program and will be playing for something substantial that season. It would be a shame to throw that away to play in empty stadiums against sub-standard teams when he is at the peak of his career.

It might cost him a chance to play on Sundays. It will at least cost him a lot of visibility and opportunities to showcase his game against top notch players in a national setting. A lot of $$ too early in his pro career. No doubt in my mind if he stays healthy, he will play on Sundays.

It's simple. He wants to be a PT, which requires a graduate degree. SU doesn't offer a graduate program in PT. So, when he graduates (probably in 2018, given the class load he's taken on), he will transfer to another school to begin post-graduate work. Nothing more, nothing less. The rest? Pure BS from those who have no clue.

It's simple. He wants to be a PT, which requires a graduate degree. SU doesn't offer a graduate program in PT. So, when he graduates (probably in 2018, given the class load he's taken on), he will transfer to another school to begin post-graduate work. Nothing more, nothing less. The rest? Pure BS from those who have no clue.

When the state and SU finally decide that SUNY Upstate should become SU's medical school, then they will offer that program. Of course, the likelihood of that happening before Steven graduates probably hovers around 0%.

When the state and SU finally decide that SUNY Upstate should become SU's medical school, then they will offer that program. Of course, the likelihood of that happening before Steven graduates probably hovers around 0%.
Exactly. It is at least 2 more years away and if he is playing well at Syracuse, he will not leave for another school. Players who are getting good productive playing time and getting noticed don't jump to other schools. It's when they lose their starting position that they decide to move.

Schools get the benefit of the bargain way greater than the students do. I appreciate the straightforwardness of this kid's plan.

It gives the coaching staff the truth and time to plan for the future. With how football players make as much revenue as they do for schools they should all get as much as they can. The degree is what they should be getting. if they can get an undergraduate degree in 3 years then get the master's while you can for free. With summer classes being available to these kids they can graduate in 3 years if they take 15 credits each semester and 9 credits in each of the 2 summer semesters.

It is smart. When all players get for the most part is an academic scholarship then they should use it to its fullest extent possible.

bcubs9497 said:

Was glad to hear he's giving the new staff a chance. Also beyond impressed with his plan. Took me 5 years up on the hill and I wasn't playing a sport. Lol.

Good luck and all the best to you and Steven and the fam.

Transparency can be a real bitch. Everyone wants it until they hear something that they don't like. I appreciate that he has a plan and is honest about it. Don't think he is trying to be bigger than the program just understands that if going pro int guaranteed he will have to plan for his future.

As it should be. He has a good head on his shoulders and he has a plan. Though, if the chance to play on Sundays comes along, I would enjoy watching him in a Giants uniform smashing the Cowboys before he goes the PT route, just saying...

"I’d like to play at Syracuse for three years and then be a a graduate transfer to a place like UAB, where I could work on my degree and maybe play there a year for coach (Bill) Clark and be closer to my family and friends, so they can see me play."

I don't know what to think about this.
Overthink by an 18-year old.