Steven Clark Story/Video | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Steven Clark Story/Video

I think it is also fair to say that:
1) there are (at least) two sides to every story
2) SU med staff were legally barred from telling their side of the story
3) Far too many people on this board treat parents as if they are unbiased truth tellers. Far too many people on this board hold strong opinions on law and medicine as if they were lawyers and doctors, when they in fact know very little about law and medicine.
You and Cusian both raise valid points. It would be nice if both sides of the conversation can acknowledge the validity of each other's perspective. I found myself nodding in agreement to what you both are saying and you both messaged w/o sounding like #$&ks. Good stuff and now I'm moving on!

So here's a serious question;

How does WMU, knowing Clark is DQ'd at Syracuse, accept him as a scholarship athlete and then DQ him for the same thing 8 months later?

Did they not test for the blood clotting issue? Did they not care? Did the Clark family not provide accurate info on why Steven was disqualifies at SU ? Is a school limited as to the medical history they can get from a potential recruit?

So here's a serious question;

How does WMU, knowing Clark is DQ'd at Syracuse, accept him as a scholarship athlete and then DQ him for the same thing 8 months later?

Did they not test for the blood clotting issue? Did they not care? Did the Clark family not provide accurate info on why Steven was disqualifies at SU ? Is a school limited as to the medical history they can get from a potential recruit?
The video implied he had another blood clot.

The video implied he had another blood clot.

Yes, but how did they justify the risk? Did they just accept a story that there wasn't any valid reason for the DQ from Syracuse and then allow a student to risk his life? Was there no testing prior to the transfer about the blood clotting issue that, while not front page news was pretty well established via Syracuse.com articles?

Yes, but how did they justify the risk? Did they just accept a story that there wasn't any valid reason for the DQ from Syracuse and then allow a student to risk his life? Was there no testing prior to the transfer about the blood clotting issue that, while not front page news was pretty well established via Syracuse.com articles?
Sorry, I guess I misread your intent. To your real question, predicting risk of recurrence in a situation like this is very hard. There is no paper called “risk of VTE recurrence amongst young football players with heterozygous pro-thrombotic gene mutations after a first provoked VTE.” It’s all about extrapolating data from other populations, and multiple physicians could come to very different conclusions on what that risk would be. In addition, different institutions could come to different conclusions as to what risks they find consistent with their athletic mission.

Calling it a conspiracy theory is misleading. Some of the anecdotes shared here were outright shameful if true. I'm an over the top fan. What do you expect me to think and feel when I hear some of that stuff.

I'll be the first to admit that as I've learned more about some of the things going on in the background at the AD it's given me a different point of view and softened my criticisms. But no one is doing anyone else a service by just dismissing things out of hand, letting everyone else run with bad info, and then turning around and making fun of people not in the know.
It was absolutely a conspiracy theory since everyone on this board suddenly knew more about medicine than actual doctors. It was absolutely shameful.

I completely understood the viewpoint of bcubs fighting for his son to play but it was ridiculous to see the mob mentality when it came to medical decisions. It's a good lesson in overreactions.

He was cleared by the WMU medical staff. There is an article somewhere on here that discusses that fact.

It was absolutely a conspiracy theory since everyone on this board suddenly knew more about medicine than actual doctors. It was absolutely shameful.

I completely understood the viewpoint of bcubs fighting for his son to play but it was ridiculous to see the mob mentality when it came to medical decisions. It's a good lesson in overreactions.
I respectfully disagree. But I also think we're focused on different aspects of the conversation. It's very difficult to parse out any nuance and instead we're divided into two camps.
I agree with the notion that the medical decisions ought to have been left to the doctors. But there was a wider array of related issues discussed that left the medicine alone.

Like what?
Like, everyone knows what's under a pony's tail. Like, when my dog duffs on a neighbor's lawn, sometimes I don't pick it up if the dude's a jerk. Like, when you take a leak, keep your back to wind.

Like, everyone knows what's under a pony's tail. Like, when my dog duffs on a neighbor's lawn, sometimes I don't pick it up if the dude's a jerk. Like, when you take a leak, keep your back to wind.
You're going to have to be more specific.

Agree 1000%. And by a parent who bashed other players and coaches during his journey here. I’ll never understand how he was credible to sway opinions. Or why people automatically put them on a throne.

Shameful is a good word.

I do wish the best for Steven. Hopefully this is the start of a rewarding and successful coaching career if that’s what he wants to do.

Agree 1000%. And by a parent who bashed other players and coaches during his journey here. I’ll never understand how he was credible to sway opinions. Or why people automatically put them on a throne.

Shameful is a good word.

I do wish the best for Steven. Hopefully this is the start of a rewarding and successful coaching career if that’s what he wants to do.
All parents get put on a throne here because they are "in the know". So people take anything that comes out of their mouths as gospel. When you're in a position like that you have to show a little more restraint.

Shameful is a good word.

No parent should post on the message board of their kid's team. It's lunacy on a dozen different fronts.

All parents get put on a throne here because they are "in the know". So people take anything that comes out of their mouths as gospel. When you're in a position like that you have to show a little more restraint.

What bothered me most in this situation was that for a group of fans, the parent was bigger than the program. That just shouldn't happen, especially when only getting one side.

Reminds me of that scene between Michael Douglas and Michael J Fox in The American President. "People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference."

Shameful is a good word.

like 1000x

Know why I like getting older? Less ego, more wisdom. So, I was wrong...again...and freely admit it. Another life lesson learned. I still wish there was more transparency from the university but HIPPA says no to that. Because of that, I did what those who are much wiser did not, I took the word of a family who clearly had a motive and axe to grind. Maybe the Doc really did basically blow them off after a while but what I didn't consider before...maybe they deserved it. I got on his case after Long was cleared by another school and when add Steven to the mix it it was fuel to the fire.

Soooooo, let's see here.

I was wrong about Shafer. Promised not to defend him anymore and have stuck by that.

I was wrong about Tucker. So I promise not to hop on or start anymore anti-Tucker conversations. I'm done with the Doc.

I've been wrong about plenty of other crap too.

So while I may be an idiot sometimes, nobody can deny my passion. When I think an injustice is being served then I'm quick, too quick maybe, to point it out. Hopefully someday I can find that balance point.

Oh and my family Doc still diagnosed me with arthritis in my knee when I had a torn meniscus so no Doc is infallible, but clearly still better qualified than me and an angry dad.

Know why I like getting older? Less ego, more wisdom. So, I was wrong...again...and freely admit it. Another life lesson learned. I still wish there was more transparency from the university but HIPPA says no to that. Because of that, I did what those who are much wiser did not, I took the word of a family who clearly had a motive and axe to grind. Maybe the Doc really did basically blow them off after a while but what I didn't consider before...maybe they deserved it. I got on his case after Long was cleared by another school and when add Steven to the mix it it was fuel to the fire.

Soooooo, let's see here.

I was wrong about Shafer. Promised not to defend him anymore and have stuck by that.

I was wrong about Tucker. So I promise not to hop on or start anymore anti-Tucker conversations. I'm done with the Doc.

I've been wrong about plenty of other crap too.

So while I may be an idiot sometimes, nobody can deny my passion. When I think an injustice is being served then I'm quick, too quick maybe, to point it out. Hopefully someday I can find that balance point.

Oh and my family Doc still diagnosed me with arthritis in my knee when I had a torn meniscus so no Doc is infallible, but clearly still better qualified than me and an angry dad.
You're just fishing for likes :rolleyes: :p

You're just fishing for likes :rolleyes::p
98850371.jpg

I got you a dollar!

You said there were other issues. What other issues do you think there are?
I don't know if there are any other issues. Let's get that out of the way.

I was refering to other issues besides the alleged conspiracy (to do what, I'm still unclear) that were discussed in the midst of the thread about Steve's disqualification.

What point are you trying to make by singling my comment out?

What point are you trying to make by singling my comment out?
My point for singling your comment was that you said (I'm paraphrasing), "I'm a passionate fan. I can't be expected to think rationally." Even if you were somehow joking, that rankles me on so many levels. There was never a time while the saga was unfolding that you asked yourself, "If I were a doctor, what logical reasons might I have to keep a player off the field?"

very uncomfortable listening to people badmouth Syracuse doctors with 0% information. Really dangerous too for the university long term if players see the doctors not doing what's best for the student athletes.