Still bothers me to THIS day | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Still bothers me to THIS day

watched it at Day Hall in horror. Weeks earlier watched Lawrence show up very late night at Day Hall with two lovely students probably studying for a calculus test ;);)

I was 8 years old for 1991 Richmond so I kind of knew what was going on and that my family was depressed, but I wasn't really emotionally invested yet. That 1995 Arkansas game when I was 12 was the first SU basketball game that genuinely devastated me. Like it's one thing to lose if you just play crappy like 2005 Vermont, but to shoot yourself in the foot like that was soul-crushing.

The Arkansas game was extremely painful if you consider the fact that it was post probation, Boeheim was somewhat on the hot seat nationally as a guy who runs a loose program and cannot win the big one. UConn had passed Syracuse as the better team in the Big East.

It was a tough one to swallow especially when you considered the best player was leaving and no one knew how 96 would play out at that point.

I remembered thinking that Boeheim wasn't long for Syracuse because how many more of these games can the university take (or him) before they realize this isn't working.

1. I've never seen a timeout awarded so quickly. I mean it was instantaneous.
2. you cannot award a team a time out if they do not have complete possession of the ball. clearly Jackson never had full possession, second he catches the ball he's tied up.
3. EVEN if you come to the conclusion he had possession for a fraction of a second, 99% of other refs would have ignored it and called the jump ball. we've seen them ignore timeouts before..and after this game...SU had the possession arrow. any other ref just ignores the TO and calls a jump ball.
4. tim higgins is a pos.. he WANTED to be the star of the clip. he ignores the tie up going on right at his feet and instead focuses on a guy who isnt even in the play. No way this was an accident or luck. He wanted the fame.

Maybe a year or so before that St. John's called a timeout in a late game situation against us, they had none, it was ignored. And I think we lost. So, yeah, it definitely happens.

This was an era when a jump ball was really a held ball, though, they didn't make that ridiculous knee-jerk call like they do nowadays. So I don't think that was a real possibility.

We called the time out. Period. I don't blame others for my mistakes. It's your opinion that Jackson didn't have the ball. Obviously the ref thought otherwise. We called time out when we didn't have one. Our fault. No one else's. You are right about one thing, that loss haunts me. To this day. Another call that haunts me, and we won, was the out of bounds call on Cooney against the Zags. Made by a ref at half court. We won but it still rankles me. I also disagree about Higgins motivation. I don't think he knew that we had zero timeouts. not that it would have mattered. We called a time out when we didn't have one.

That Cooney BS call was infuriating.

Another one that sticks with me was that Duke player obviously punching Cooney near midcourt at the end of the OT game in 2014 with no call and minimal discussion.

watched it at Day Hall in horror. Weeks earlier watched Lawrence show up very late night at Day Hall with two lovely students probably studying for a calculus test ;);)
I read that too quickly and thought it said, "I watched it with Daryl Hall." I was momentarily impressed as Hall & Oates was still a thing back then, I believe. #ReadingIsFundamental

I read that too quickly and thought it said, "I watched it with Daryl Hall." I was momentarily impressed as Hall & Oates was still a thing back then, I believe. #ReadingIsFundamental
You dont watch Darryl’s house ?

You dont watch Darryl’s house ?
Steve, please. This thread is about one specific thing that bothers you to this day. It isn't an open call to talk about random things.

1649344123872.png

I was there. I always say, the best Syracuse crowd I ever experienced was the Texas fans rooting against Arkansas in that game. They HATED Arkansas back then, coming off the Razorbacks leaving the SWC to join the SEC. Pre-game the Arkansas players stomped on the Longhorn logo at center court. The crowd was on fire.

I suppose the ref could have swallowed his whistle, but Moten made the "T" sign right in front of him as Luke cradled the ball. It was hard to ignore in the heat of the moment.

Thing is, Arkansas bricked one of the foul shots, and we still had a shot to win in OT.

Thing is, Arkansas bricked one of the foul shots, and we still had a shot to win in OT.

That's almost as shocking as the timeout. If you gave Michael Lloyd and Lucious Jackson 100 opportunities to win a game with consecutive three-point attempts, I bet they'd convert 90-95 of them.

That night just happened to be one of the other 5 or so.

That's almost as shocking as the timeout. If you gave Michael Lloyd and Lucious Jackson 100 opportunities to win a game with consecutive three-point attempts, I bet they'd convert 90-95 of them.

That night just happened to be one of the other 5 or so.
Lloyd was a polarizing figure .. I thought he was pretty overrated and a bad fit ..

Lloyd was a polarizing figure .. I thought he was pretty overrated and a bad fit ..
It did seem like in most games when Lloyd exited and Sims entered in the middle of the first half the level of play picked up.

I wish it was with Darryl Hall! Day Hall was a terrible consolation prize for demoralizing NCAA losses.

That was a strange season more I think about it. My first Syracuse hoops game was at Manley Field House vs GW. I recall Rock Lloyd having a game. They beat Zona at home and were top 10 and then completely flamed out and almost didn't make the tourney but rebounded to almost beat the best team in the tourney. Had they beaten Arkansas the tourney was wideeee open for a long run

I remember this well and like others I was devastated. We played great and had the win. That was at a time when we had a stretch of painful losses in the tournament dating back to 88 and Rhode Island….89 Illinois…..90 Minnesota….91 Richmond….92 UMass….93 Probation….94 Missouri…..so yeah that Arkansas game was the cherry on top
86 Navy before those, that was my freshman year, boy was I indoctrinated into hellish losses with that one. In the freaking Dome. Rhode Island was brutal, this kid from RI was killing us and his dad was blind, so it made for the ultimate feelgood story for CBS, showing his parents in the stands while their kid was destroying us. Garrick was the kid, I believe. I woke up the day of the Richmond game with a really bad feeling about the game, the NCAA investigation info broke right before the BE tourney and we ended up losing the first round there, you could just see the team was not right mentally. I loved that 94 team, they gave Mizzou everything they had.

1. I've never seen a timeout awarded so quickly. I mean it was instantaneous.
2. you cannot award a team a time out if they do not have complete possession of the ball. clearly Jackson never had full possession, second he catches the ball he's tied up.
3. EVEN if you come to the conclusion he had possession for a fraction of a second, 99% of other refs would have ignored it and called the jump ball. we've seen them ignore timeouts before..and after this game...SU had the possession arrow. any other ref just ignores the TO and calls a jump ball.
4. tim higgins is a pos.. he WANTED to be the star of the clip. he ignores the tie up going on right at his feet and instead focuses on a guy who isnt even in the play. No way this was an accident or luck. He wanted the fame.
The GD refs totally gave this game to Arkansas. It was the biggest BS I’ve ever seen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom