still dont completely trust this team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

still dont completely trust this team

You're implying there's been a recent-vintage SU hoops team you could "trust"?

Which one(s) would that be?
We haven't had a season in eons (if ever) where the team didn't have inexplicable lulls and/or losses at some point.

I certainly trust THIS team a helluva lot more now, than I did about 2 weeks ago.

I certainly trust THIS team a helluva lot more now, than I did about 2 weeks ago.
My sentiments exactly. They are showing some grit and hussle now. Time will tell how far that will take us. I'm "hoping" for 4-2, but would be happy with 3-3. Anything less would be a disappointment.

My sentiments exactly. They are showing some grit and hussle now. Time will tell how far that will take us. I'm "hoping" for 4-2, but would be happy with 3-3. Anything less would be a disappointment.

You hope the team loses twice? (kidding, I know what you're saying)
But I bet the team is striving for 6-0 down the stretch.
So I will hope and root for 6-0 too.

We can easily lose tomorrow, no doubt. I do love the fact that this is not the kind of Pitt team that used to give us fits. Their defense is horrific, home or away. They always used to beat the hell out of us, now it's our turn. 3 losses to them last year? turn that sh** around with a sweep (2 or 3 games) this year, dammit!

i woudnt be surprised if they go 4-2 down the stretch, but i also wouldnt be surprised if they go 2-4 or even 1-5. the D, especially on the road, still really scares me and if we have an off shooting night it could get ugly again.

weird team (by cuse standards), weird season.

Don't disagree, but in this conference that type of scenario exists for a bunch of these teams. Maybe not 1-5 but 2-4 is possibility for most of the teams in the ACC.

My advice is to start drinking heavily

flounder.png

I see it as this team has finally developed the heart and will to pull out wins. Earlier this season, a lead by the other team meant a loss for us. Now, we can reliably say that they'll fight you till the end, and not just take 30 pt poundings.

Last edited:
I see it as this team has finally developed the heart and will to pull out wins. Earlier this season, a lead by the other team meant a loss for us. Now, we can reliably say that they'll fight you till the end, and not just take 30 or poundings.

This recent SU success has been all about "effort". And they have been able to apply enough effort to dig themselves out of holes and win.

But sometimes pure effort isn't enough. Effort has been masking flaws and flaws have a way of catching up with you. That's why SU fans ought To be grateful for the recent wins but not confident the run will continue.

Although I fully expect another Rumplestiltskin-like eruption of affixing of blame and general outrage after our next loss.

Hard to say what will happen moving forward. We need one vs UL or Duke, IMO in order to feel safe and not need a victory in the ACCT. Duke is looking really good now and UL, well...gulp.

. . . thinking we don't touch Louisville or Duke
I think we win at least 1 of those 3. I can't stress at least enough. I don't have any advanced metrics or X's and O's to back that up. The team has obviously turned it around and shown that it can compete with anybody. They are finding ways. It's been a great couple of weeks. I don't think it's over yet.

i woudnt be surprised if they go 4-2 down the stretch, but i also wouldnt be surprised if they go 2-4 or even 1-5. the D, especially on the road, still really scares me and if we have an off shooting night it could get ugly again.

weird team (by cuse standards), weird season.

Very reasonable...we are 8-4 but are two misses away from being 6-6...

Offense comes and goes so, if you have to rely on outscoring people to win, it gets problematic...

And, if you cannot get stops when your O is having an off night...

Reminds me of those Notre Dame teams or even Villanova teams that needed to be hot offensively to win...

Team has made tremendous strides but still has a lot of work to do to get better...

We played bad vs. Clemson and managed to find a way to win. We fought and clawed back despite not playing well. That's what winning teams do. Look at Clemson['s ACC home losses - they're all very close games.

NC State had a lottery pick record a tripble double and a guy who had a career high who seemingly couldn't miss. In order to win that game we needed 2 guys to match those guys and we got it. Again, we did what we had to do to win.

It's the ACC - you're not gonna win every game by 8+. But however a game goes, you HAVE to find a way to win, and that's what we're doing. You could argue besides FSU and the 2nd half of UVA, we haven't played that well in this streak besdies a couple of really, really good minutes. What has separated us from Wake and Clemson is we find a way to win when we aren't playing well, and they find a way to lose.

Our team has confidence that it can win these games close, even if we don't play well - and that's priceless.

I'd still like to see a complete 40 minutes (FSU was close) but until that happens, this team will battle and fight to get W's - and there's nothing wrong with that. Just get to March where everyone is 0-0

We played bad vs. Clemson and managed to find a way to win. We fought and clawed back despite not playing well. That's what winning teams do. Look at Clemson['s ACC home losses - they're all very close games.

NC State had a lottery pick record a tripble double and a guy who had a career high who seemingly couldn't miss. In order to win that game we needed 2 guys to match those guys and we got it. Again, we did what we had to do to win.

It's the ACC - you're not gonna win every game by 8+. But however a game goes, you HAVE to find a way to win, and that's what we're doing. You could argue besides FSU and the 2nd half of UVA, we haven't played that well in this streak besdies a couple of really, really good minutes. What has separated us from Wake and Clemson is we find a way to win when we aren't playing well, and they find a way to lose.

Our team has confidence that it can win these games close, even if we don't play well - and that's priceless.

I'd still like to see a complete 40 minutes (FSU was close) but until that happens, this team will battle and fight to get W's - and there's nothing wrong with that. Just get to March where everyone is 0-0

"Fighting and clawing" our way back is an apt description and it ties with what some of the players said after Clemson.

That's what make these last five games so extraordinary.

But as a regular approach it certainly has its limits as a modus operandi.

I can't ever remember doing it playing basketball. You can make some runs but you rarely can get over the hump. Three holes down on the 14th tee is not where you want to be.

The odds catch up to you eventually

They are who we thought they were. A couple lucky three point shots doesn't change that fact.

Said it a month ago, the road to the tournament was win out at home and steal a couple on the road and that's 11 acc wins. Well we stole the couple road wins, gotta win out at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom