Stock up Stock down | Syracusefan.com

Stock up Stock down

Dino-saur

Walk On
Let me know where you agree and disagree. Go Orange.

Stock up:

Ifeatu Melifonwu: Looked like a stud. He was sticky in coverage, physical, and his size is going to help us a lot this year against big WRs. The int was icing on the cake.

Andre Cisco: I had doubts he would get anywhere near his INT total last year but man is he a stud. He’s like a slightly bigger Earl Thomas.

Trill Williams: Continues to make big plays.

Pass rush: Robinson and Coleman we all know are studs. On top of that Ruff, Black, Berry, and Kingsley Jonathan got in on the action.

Linebackers: Considered a preseason weakness. Armstrong, Lakiem Williams, and Mikel Jones all looked pretty good. They are complimented with studs at both levels and are not the weakness of this team.

Curtis Harper & Ryan Alexander: Both looked solid when given their chances.

Stock Neutral:

Moe Neal mostly ineffective on the ground minus one late run. His work in the pass game was really good to see, but as an anticipated stud he holds value this week.

Andre Szmyt: He’s the best kicker in the nation it’s tough to move higher than that.

Sean Riley: He looked EXPLOSIVE all night. A limited passing attack and a fumble hurt his night, but he will be fine.

Stock down:

Trishton Jackson/Tommy DeVito connection:
Say what you will about DeVito’s first start but it was disappointing and maybe nothing was more disappointing than the connection between these two. On two different pages all night, but it’s too early to blame one or the other or write them off fully just yet, still stock down.

Syracuse OL: Scary when you don’t get a push against Liberty.

Last year’s starting corners: Scoop Bradshaw was relegated to mostly special teams and had a bone headed late hit penalty. He seems to be accepting his new role well and I still believe he will be one of our more important special teams players, but still a slight knock down. Christopher Frederick got burned a few times and looked really bad in the open field. With expectations that he would be one of the premiere corners in the ACC he looked a little over matched against Liberty. Hopefully he will revert back to his norm I have faith he will.

Too harsh, fair, any add ones? Let me know.

WR stock down. Harris is a twig and I didn’t really feel like anyone could get open. Hands were all iffy. Pains me that people think it’s ok to lose a a WR like Gowdy because we’re so stacked. Not a fan of what appeared to be Jackson complaining the whole game. Not a good look.

Definitely O-Line - Stock Down
Our guards look like they're carrying bad weight, like 30lb spare tires around the midsection...
YouTube video of Moe's td run shows Adams pulling to spring Moe, which was good; what was not so good is him getting pushed back on his butt by Liberty #14...

OL was piss poor and needs to improve rapidly or its going to be a very long year. Alexander needs to start.

Ifeatu and Cisco are money. I am not as sold on the rest of the secondary coverage abilities. Iffy created coverage sacks as they had one option. ACC teams will have more and we won't play a worse QB.

Ifeatu and Cisco are money. I am not as sold on the rest of the secondary coverage abilities. Iffy created coverage sacks as they had one option. ACC teams will have more and we won't play a worse QB.

Trill Williams is a stud. Frederick is very, very solid.

Move Trill to corner if needed.

Stock Up: SOS

SU's division is going to be tough as heck and Maryland is solid along with 2 true road games OOC which for some reason no one EVER talks about in college football but harp on in basketball.
Liberty and UMD aren't exactly Death Valley and South Bend.
I think in general, home court in hoops > home field in football. I'm sure there are some analytics out there that confirm or refute my opinion.

WR stock down. Harris is a twig and I didn’t really feel like anyone could get open. Hands were all iffy. Pains me that people think it’s ok to lose a a WR like Gowdy because we’re so stacked. Not a fan of what appeared to be Jackson complaining the whole game. Not a good look.
Harris does not catch the ball well in traffic and can not get open in press coverage. He needed to put on some weight in the off season and could not. Riley drops too many open passes and needs to catch the ball on punt returns and not let it hit the ground and roll to the Syracuse ten yard line. Also no fumbles for him too.

Liberty and UMD aren't exactly Death Valley and South Bend.
I think in general, home court in hoops > home field in football. I'm sure there are some analytics out there that confirm or refute my opinion.

I disagree db44. Weather, turf and other factors in football and in hoop you play on a hard court just like the others.

As for Liberty or UMD, no they are not Death Valley or South Bend but there is a reason why a lot of football schools never play @ "smaller" schools fields...ever. They can say money but as Steve Spurrier said "It was a mistake to go to Syracuse"...why would you ever risk a loss?

I disagree db44. Weather, turf and other factors in football and in hoop you play on a hard court just like the others.

As for Liberty or UMD, no they are not Death Valley or South Bend but there is a reason why a lot of football schools never play @ "smaller" schools fields...ever. They can say money but as Steve Spurrier said "It was a mistake to go to Syracuse"...why would you ever risk a loss?
I don't think Spurrier considered SU that way. Certainly not in 1991 when we were in the midst of a pretty good run. And money is a big part of it, from gate receipts, concessions, merch sales and no travel costs by staying at home.
On the flip side, small colleges can have intimidating gyms for hoops and upsets are more common. Manley was a very, very difficult gym for opposing teams.
We can disagree all we want, but there's got to be a real reason why road games are given more import in hoops. That's why I said there are probably stats out there that could settle this. I will try to find some.

You aren’t sold on Trill? WowZ

To me Trill Williams is a play maker. He appears to be solid in doing his assignments and when he has the opportunity, he usually makes a big play. Syracuse University Football getting him checked off two very important boxes, a NYS recruit and one heck of a football player. Go Orange!!!!!!!!!

Harris does not catch the ball well in traffic and can not get open in press coverage. He needed to put on some weight in the off season and could not. Riley drops too many open passes and needs to catch the ball on punt returns and not let it hit the ground and roll to the Syracuse ten yard line. Also no fumbles for him too.
I'm not the biggest Riley fan, but the comment on punt returns is exaggerated. He had the one fumble which is not something he normally does. I don't recall him letting anything else hit the ground and he attempted to return most of them, rarely caling for a fair catch and breaking a nice return shortly after the fumble.

Both harris and jackson look so skinny. They need to bulk up. Its even more noticeable when looking at liberty’s stud wr.

Early in his career, Riley didn’t catch anything. Now he catches some that he shouldn’t. I suppose he’s a little frustrating. But he’s very good at getting 20-15 yard returns. I’m hopeful he’ll break a few this year.

Move Trill to corner if needed.
Would love to see that.
Stock down - Chris Fredrick
Surprised that Cam Jonas didn't even travel; would love to see Iffy and Trill at corner, Cisco and maybe Jonas or Nunn at safety. Then scrap 5 db for 3 lbs and let Mikel Jones use his speed to cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom