Stop The Run, Control the Ball, Win the Turnover Battle | Syracusefan.com

Stop The Run, Control the Ball, Win the Turnover Battle

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
Watched the BC game from last year.

The Eagles won the game by controlling the ball and minimizing mistakes with a young QB.

The Orange has to hit, control the ball and create turnovers.

And we have to pack the Dome!

The Eagles won the game by controlling the ball and minimizing mistakes with a young QB.

they won that game because their offense sucked at moving the ball a little less than our offense sucked.

looked at box score, how did they get through a game with only 1 5 yard penalty.

such a shame that our defense held them to 315 yards and 16 pts. that should always be a win.

then there's the UConn game. how do you give up 254 yards and never be in the game?

offense offense offense.

they won that game because their offense sucked at moving the ball a little less than our offense sucked.

looked at box score, how did they get through a game with only 1 5 yard penalty.

such a shame that our defense held them to 315 yards and 16 pts. that should always be a win.

then there's the UConn game. how do you give up 254 yards and never be in the game?

offense offense offense.
yep - with a competent offense those could easily have been wins (as well as the Louisville game) - they could've been 9-3 or 10-2 if they had any semblance of offense down the stretch last year

offense offense offense.
As eloquent as always!

Yes, our offense did not play well - Nassib missed a wide open Chew(?) on a fly pattern to start the game.

So, yes, the Orange offense has to control the ball tonight.

And, the Orange defense has to make sure that what occurred against BC - the Eagles held the ball for nearly the entire first quarter - does not happen.

As eloquent as always!

Yes, our offense did not play well - Nassib missed a wide open Chew(?) on a fly pattern to start the game.

So, yes, the Orange offense has to control the ball tonight.

And, the Orange defense has to make sure that what occurred against BC - the Eagles held the ball for nearly the entire first quarter - does not happen.
i just want yards and points. i don't care whether it's slow or fast. when i think of ball control, i think of getting first downs, of course, but doing it slowly and having scoring drives be as long as possible to keep potent offenses off the field. i doubt BC was worried about giving our offense more chances

grobe will do several things to take advantage of the aggressive defense: staggered counts, multiple offensive motions etc to get su to commit. we need to be calm, steady and focussed not jump offsides minize the penalty stuff, no personal fouls(mental error)-- i am more concerned about the s/p team and punting than anything else.

I think this year's strategy will be very interesting to watch. We will have a lights out defense for three quarters, the question is, will our guys still be able to fly around or hold their ground after those first three quarters is up. To do so, the offense has to have a conservative approach of eating clock, moving the chains, and not giving the ball away. However, without Delone to beat up defenses and set us up for third-and-shorts, the playcalling will need to be more creative in order to successfully carry out a relatively conservative gameplan. The on-going search for that balance should make this a very exciting season.

i just want yards and points. i don't care whether it's slow or fast. when i think of ball control, i think of getting first downs, of course, but doing it slowly and having scoring drives be as long as possible to keep potent offenses off the field. i doubt BC was worried about giving our offense more chances
BC was playing with a frosh QB, a frosh RB and a frosh WR.

The Eagles played it close to the vest - no mistakes - ball control.

BC won the game by keeping the ball away from SU and not making any mistakes.

That is pretty much how Marrone tried to play it last year.

Do we have a dynamic offense right now to give you what you want to see?

I don't know. We'll see. It would be fun to score a lot of points.

I like hearing Marrone and his staff talk about rotating the front 4 defensively, especially the DT's. It's going to be warm in the Dome today and getting a little depth is always a good thing in my book.

The larger BC and UConn OL were able to control the LOS against us, allowing their RBs to consistently gain 4-5 yds/carry.

and score more points.
Glad you said it.

All those things in the OP are nice, but points are the only things that win football games.

I watched that SU vs. BC game from the first row in the upper deck of the Dome. Not the best seats, but good for giving a real picture of what is going on.

For the life of me I can't think of any lessons from that game except that we better recruit a lot of bigger, stronger guys than we had on the field that day.

BC manhandled Syracuse. It seemed to me their defensive and offensive lines overpowered the Orange.

I went back and tried to see if the game statistics would support the impression I had.

BC was 11 of 18 on third down conversions.

SU was 2 of 9 on third down conversions (22%) Yup, they manhandled us.

They did dominate possession as OrangePA points out, 71 plays to 51. Again, because we couldn't stop them.

They punted 3 times. That's not a lot. Syracuse punted 7 times.

What offense we had came from the passing game. But when we needed a first
down, we couldn't get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom