Stop Using Basketball as a Crutch on a Football Forum! | Syracusefan.com

Stop Using Basketball as a Crutch on a Football Forum!

chakka3421

All Conference
I'm am sick, as well as a few Tiger fans have pointed out, coming back with trash talk like "wait until we play you in basketball" - who the F cares if your Clemson, FSU, Miami, GT, VT...and many others - it is really embarrassing.

We have been in the BE far too long where while it was the best bball conference in the nation, nobody really cared in the rest of the nation either. We were not living in reality with the rest of the country.

We are finally back in a true Football conference again and this basketball talk is just embarrassing. Please stop using basketball as a Crutch when talking football. Reality check here please!

I truly apologize to the Clemson fans visiting this part of the forum - it will take us some years yet to get this stupid basketball talk out of our system and only talk football in the football forum.

By the way, I'm not against bball at all - just stupid to talk about it here. And I have always said, why the F not be great in both like we once were not so long ago!

I'm am sick, as well as a few Tiger fans have pointed out, coming back with trash talk like "wait until we play you in basketball" - who the F cares if your Clemson, FSU, Miami, GT, VT...and many others - it is really embarrassing.

We have been in the BE far too long where while it was the best bball conference in the nation, nobody really cared in the rest of the nation either. We were not living in reality with the rest of the country.

We are finally back in a true Football conference again and this basketball talk is just embarrassing. Please stop using basketball as a Crutch when talking football. Reality check here please!

I truly apologize to the Clemson fans visiting this part of the forum - it will take us some years yet to get this stupid basketball talk out of our system and only talk football in the football forum.

By the way, I'm not against bball at all - just stupid to talk about it here. And I have always said, why the F not be great in both like we once were not so long ago!
Eh. I see your point, but does it really matter? I mean, people are upset about the beat down and are just venting. Perfectly understandable imo. And it's not something new. Even when VT and Miami were in the Big East those things were said after one of those big losses. If you ask me, I'd rather not say those things because you never know when an upset is going to happen and then you really do look foolish. If anybody really remembers or cares. And not for nothing, but if the bball team does beat them down when we play them, you can bet their fans will point out they took us to the woodshed in football.

Last edited:
Eh. I see your point, but does it really matter? I mean, people are upset about the beat down and are just venting. Perfectly understandable imo. And it's not something new. Even when VT and Miami were in the Big East those things were said after one of those big losses. If you ask me, I'd rather not say those things because you never know when an upset is going to happen and then you really do look foolish. If anybody really remembers or cares.

It reminds me of getting beat up by a kid your own age and then getting your big brother to kick his butt. I agree with Chakka, it seems kind of silly. Let's just beat them where they live, in death valley in 2014.

It reminds me of getting beat up by a kid your own age and then getting your big brother to kick his butt. I agree with Chakka, it seems kind of silly. Let's just beat them where they live, in death valley in 2014.
I will sign on for that.

We already know we're going to lose in basketball. If you tell a Clemson fan this, he'll probably agree with you and not care a lick. I'm sure all three basketball fans that go to that game will be terribly upset, though.

Our best bet is to distract your bball team with our Clemson women. You guys are going to like what you see when you come down for the football game next year.

I think it says something really positive about Syracuse that sports matter to us from the last weekend of August until the last weekend in May. We're pretty unique in that respect. And it's kind of sad that Clemson fans don't care about their basketball program.

It upsets me that our football team isn't competitive with theirs, so it doesn't make any sense to me that Clemson fans don't care that their basketball program is a dumpster fire.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Honestly, NKR, your football fans don't care, either. You had to practically give your tickets away to pack a stadium of 49,000'ish. Not trying to flame, but don't feel sorry for us when you are in much the same boat :)

Honestly, NKR, your football fans don't care, either. You had to practically give your tickets away to pack a stadium of 49,000'ish. Not trying to flame, but don't feel sorry for us when you are in much the same boat :)

I wanted to be upset at your post...then I realized, sadly, you are right.

We still managed to pack it. Hopefully you guys will pack Littlejohn Coliseum when we come down there. Our Atlanta and Charlotte based alumni and fans will even help you do it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Maybe we will, maybe we won't. Not much reason for optimism this year. If you come in ranked top 15, we'll probably fill the arena, but if not it'll probably be the usual small crowd.

I hate this thread with heat of 1000 white hot suns. I mean who gives a crap. I don't care what fans say as long as they support the program. I want to like Clemson and root for them, but this fan in this thread and his thread he made up make it hard to root for Clemson and I want them to do well. Just and ignore the basketball first fans. The ACC is the 4th best football conference it is not the SEC and more schools are basketball first then football first and I am a football first fan. The Clemson fans would support Basketball if theyt had a good program that was consistently top 25 football first schools like Florida, Ohio State, Texas support both. I would tell our Clemson friends good luck but about basketball and don't go Clemsoning a game because I want you guys to play for a NC against Bama.

I'd rather see Clemson vs Louisville but I agree with the rest Alsacs.

The reason there are more basketball first schools is that our conference leadership went out and grabbed Syracuse and Pitt (no offense) instead of getting WVU (which Swofford turned away for STUPID reasons). This is a former football-first conference that has made a few bad moves, only to finally get it right with Louisville. Football is the money maker, so a lot of us were upset with the addition of Syracuse and Pitt. This is one of the reasons Maryland is leaving (good riddance).

And you're right, we do support the basketball team when it is ranked. When they are struggling, the fans hop off the bandwagon. Basketball isn't important down here, and we'll always value it way below football. Ditto for VT, GT, Miami, FSU, NC State, and even MD.

We crushed WV the last 3 times we played them and lead the all time series. Please tell me again how good they are?

They would have been a much better boost to football than Syracuse. Football is much more important in WV, and they are closer geographically.

It it what it is, though. I do hope Syracuse finds their stride in football again. Basketball is a great sport, but the future of this conference depends on football.

They would have been a much better boost to football than Syracuse. Football is much more important in WV, and they are closer geographically.

It it what it is, though. I do hope Syracuse finds their stride in football again. Basketball is a great sport, but the future of this conference depends on football.

They're a lesser program than Syracuse on the whole. I know they hung 70 on you in a bowl game a few years ago(we blew them out that same year), so maybe you have more respect for them than you should based on that distorted view.

Only difference between SU and WVU is their fanbase is huge, and that is because they live in WV and have no other teams to root for. Trust me you wouldn't want to go Morgantown the fans are rude and treat visitors poorly. They had success recently because they have gotten lucky with 2 QBs Pat White and Geno Smith. WVU hasn't gotten lucky this year and look at their team. If SU didn't hire the train wreck that is Greg Robinson our program would be better perceived nationally. WVU fans are locust they are loyal, but wouldn't want to deal with them every year. The Big XII island they are on now will slowly deteriorate their program unless they get lucky with a new QB. Stewart their old coach used contacts in Miami and recruited Geno Smith to WVU and Pat White was luck for Rich Rod's season he wasn't the starter or played well in 2005 in their turnaround season till week 3.

Agreed, WVU fans are trash. Luckily, years of dealing with Maryland has prepared us. They're probably in for a very rough time with their new conference, but I do think they would have been a profitable addition. We'd just have to deal with their hicks every two years, which I can live with for more football.

The reason there are more basketball first schools is that our conference leadership went out and grabbed Syracuse and Pitt (no offense) instead of getting WVU (which Swofford turned away for STUPID reasons). This is a former football-first conference that has made a few bad moves, only to finally get it right with Louisville. Football is the money maker, so a lot of us were upset with the addition of Syracuse and Pitt. This is one of the reasons Maryland is leaving (good riddance).

And you're right, we do support the basketball team when it is ranked. When they are struggling, the fans hop off the bandwagon. Basketball isn't important down here, and we'll always value it way below football. Ditto for VT, GT, Miami, FSU, NC State, and even MD.

I've stayed out of these type of threads, but this statement is bizarre. I've followed college sports since the late 70s and early 80s and at NO TIME was the ACC ever a football-first conference. It's why Clemson dominated the league until FSU arrived and then FSU dominated until VT arrived.

Cheers,
Neil

They were giving away tickets? Where was this?!

Seriously. Totally agree. We sound like a bunch of morons. Just accept the loss and move on, and FYI the rest of the country doesn't care about basketball, so don't even bother trying to use that as an insult. They could easily say back wait until we get you in baseball, which is more important down there then hoops.

I love some baseball. The boys are out there practicing today.

Oh, and I guess they're doing something basketball related this weekend, too. Meh.

Maybe we will, maybe we won't. Not much reason for optimism this year. If you come in ranked top 15, we'll probably fill the arena, but if not it'll probably be the usual small crowd.

If SU goes to Clemson only ranked 15th in basketball, there will be a lot of disappointed SU fans wondering why the program is sliding backwards.