String of interesting random seat mates ... continues... | Syracusefan.com

String of interesting random seat mates ... continues...

cto

Administrator
I seem to get interesting random seat mates. Last season, on separate flights to Syracuse, I sat next to Sean McDonough and Gary Parrish. Yesterday, on a Metro North train into NYC I sat next to Steve Keating.

Okay, you ask: "Who is Steve Keating?" Actually, I did not know that either... until the young man sitting next to me says: "Aren't you Joyce who is Mike Hopkins' friend?

Anyhow, it turned out Steve Keating was an SU walk-on in early 1990's when he was a team mate of Mike's... and still a close friend. So we spent the entire trip to NYC reminiscing about those good old days of probation, having to play UMass at Worcester, the joys of being a walk-on and all that other fun stuff. (Steve is now a very successful businessman who owns his own company.. and who, it turns out, lives about three blocks from me).

Last edited:
I seem to get interesting random seat mates. Last season, on separate flights to Syracuse, I sat next to Sean McDonough and Gary Parrish. Yesterday, on a Metro North train into NYC I sat next to Steve Keating.

Okay, you ask: "Who is Steve Keating?" Actually, I did not know that either... until the young man sitting next to me says: "Aren't you Joyce who is Mike Hopkins' friend?

Anyhow, it turned out Steve Keating was an SU walk-on in early 1990's when he was a team mate of Mike's... and still a close friend. So we spent the entire trip to NYC reminiscing about those good old days of probation, having to play UMass at Worcester, the joys of being a walk-on and all that other fun stuff. (Steve is now a very successful businessman who owns his own company.. and who, it turns out, lives about three blocks from me).

You are the most interesting woman alive!

1991-92%20Teamweb%281%29.jpg

First Row (Sitting L-R): Jim Boeheim (Head Coach), Adrian Autry, Anthony Harris, Michael Edwards, Dave Johnson, Mike Hopkins, Vinnie Cohen, Lazarus Sims, Scott Hicks (Asst. Coach)
Second Row (Standing L-R): Bernie Fine (Asst. Coach), Wayne Morgan (Asst. Coach), Lawrence Moten, Todd Barlok, Scott McCorkle, Dave Siock, J.B. Reafsnyder, Conrad McRae, Glenn Sekunda, Luke Jackson, Steve Keating, Tim O'Toole (Grad Asst.), Josh Osborne (Manager)

I was headed home from Rochester to Huntsville, AL, one Christmas vacation (1971, as I recall) only to find out my flight connection from Baltimore had been overbooked. United flew me to Baltimore, but booked me on a special flight to Atlanta that turned out to be a charter flight of the Baltimore Bullets and Atlanta Hawks. Sat next to Pete Maravich, by chance, and of course the plane was filled with lots of very tall guys (I remember Walt Bellamy distinctly, for one). I sort of remember outhustling Pete for the stewardess' attention, but that could be fantasy hardened into fact over time. Got into Atlanta ~1 a.m. and had to bench-sleep until the first Piedmont connection to Huntsville the next morning. No, I didn't ask The Pistol for a cast-off pair of floppy socks; you'll just have to take my word for it. Stay thirsty, Joyce.-VBOF