Student Section Impressions, SU v. RU | Syracusefan.com

Student Section Impressions, SU v. RU

I thought the students represented well at the game.

Additional note: I think the SUMB is as good as I have ever heard them. No offense to former "Bandies." But I think they sound great. I've been critical of them from time to time, so good for them.

I was very happy with the student section. We did well, and no one left early.

Yes, they looked good. Nice to se ethe university smarten up and offer free tickets to a half empty stadium for students who pay $50k in tuition. The unfortunate reality is there seem to be enough regular ticket holders throughout the stadium who don't show up as we all saw plenty of silver at the stadium. It happened years sago but are we still paying for Buzz Shaw's "get a life" comment? Sure the noon start doesn't help but I'm afraid we may have lost a decent chunk of the local base.

Yes, they looked good. Nice to se ethe university smarten up and offer free tickets to a half empty stadium for students who pay $50k in tuition. The unfortunate reality is there seem to be enough regular ticket holders throughout the stadium who don't show up as we all saw plenty of silver at the stadium. It happened years sago but are we still paying for Buzz Shaw's "get a life" comment? Sure the noon start doesn't help but I'm afraid we may have lost a decent chunk of the local base.

There aren't as many no shows as you think. Those are unsold tix.

The crowd looked pretty good on tv. A little sparse in the upper reaches, but no wide swaths of aluminum like I'm used to seeing of late. I was hoping they'd show a little more of the student section. There were several closeups of screaming kids, but I don't remember any wide-angle shots. Was it a big turnout?

The crowd looked pretty good on tv. A little sparse in the upper reaches, but no wide swaths of aluminum like I'm used to seeing of late. I was hoping they'd show a little more of the student section. There were several closeups of screaming kids, but I don't remember any wide-angle shots. Was it a big turnout?

I don't know if we had as many kids sent to the upper deck as the Wake Forest game, but our whole section was completely filled.

Whatever is done to improve game attendance/dome atmosphere, it absolutely HAS to start with the student section. You will not find an exciting college stadium without a large, involved student section, these days dressed in whatever 'color-out.'.

Whatever is done to improve game attendance/dome atmosphere, it absolutely HAS to start with the student section. You will not find an exciting college stadium without a large, involved student section, these days dressed in whatever 'color-out.'.

Could not agree with this any more. From a dollars and cents POV, the students on their best day are a fraction of the attendance (ie $$$). However, college arenas, as we see with our home bball games, are fueled by the student energy. On a smaller scale, I see it with my father-in-law. Guy doesn't say more than 10 words all day, but when we go to or watch games together and he sees me getting animated (still act like part mascot/part 19 year-old hopped up on Bartons vodka and OJ), watch the out.

The key to the students as a customer segment is that you have them, not even in your back yard, but in your living room seven days a week. Athletics needs to find a way to capivate the student base, which will help build buzz, create a better experience, bring in more fans, help sell recruits...and so on.

The key to the students as a customer segment is that you have them, not even in your back yard, but in your living room seven days a week. Athletics needs to find a way to capivate the student base, which will help build buzz, create a better experience, bring in more fans, help sell recruits...and so on.

Have the football team go to the students' dorms and frats and threaten to kick their A##es if they don't attend the games.

Have the football team go to the students' dorms and frats and threaten to kick their A##es if they don't attend the games.[/quote

They way they have played this year, not sure how many of those fights this team would win.