Stupid work screwing up the NCAA tournament for me... | Syracusefan.com

Stupid work screwing up the NCAA tournament for me...

cpatrocks

Starter
OK - so I am a huge BBall dork and I love to take the first two days of the tourny off from work. I used to sneak a TV into work and try to squeeze in a few minutes of each game in the office - but that got old pretty quick...and now that I am a little more established (and have enough vacation time) I like to take both days off and just go into a NCAA Tourny induced coma for the whole weekened.

Now my boss', boss' boss just scheduele a mandatory meeting from 9-4 on the first day of the tourney. FUGG!

It's gonna be hard enough missing the games, but if the SU game is schedule early on Thursday I don't know what I am gonna do.

I'm already thinking of ways to get out of it:

--Grandma's funeral.
--Contract some sorta contagious disease.
--Get kidnapped by mexican warlords.

OK - so I am a huge BBall dork and I love to take the first two days of the tourny off from work. I used to sneak a TV into work and try to squeeze in a few minutes of each game in the office - but that got old pretty quick...and now that I am a little more established (and have enough vacation time) I like to take both days off and just go into a NCAA Tourny induced coma for the whole weekened.

Now my boss', boss' boss just scheduele a mandatory meeting from 9-4 on the first day of the tourney. FUGG!

It's gonna be hard enough missing the games, but if the SU game is schedule early on Thursday I don't know what I am gonna do.

I'm already thinking of ways to get out of it:

--Grandma's funeral.
--Contract some sorta contagious disease.
--Get kidnapped by mexican warlords.
I go with mexican warlords, seems most plausible.

Go into work -- get "sick" around 1:15 and you can't get accused of anything - you still get home for the end of the first games. You miss a bit of basketball, but if you were faking it, "surely" you would have left earlier or not come in at all.

Only problem is if Syracuse plays around 2:30, and its a little too convenient.

Good news - Dayton and Philly games are on Friday, so its unlikely you would miss a Syracuse game anyway,

I still use an old fashioned spiral calendar. Each January when I buy a new one, before I write in kid's birthdays, anniversaries,etc, I go right to the first 2 days of the tourney and draw a straight line through Thursday and Friday. Nothing is getting in the way of those 2 days.

Tell them you thought you were having a heart attack, but it was only indigestion. Could really happen if you don't watch the game.

sounds like your boss' boss' boss must be a UCONN grad......no conflict for him

521745_4858124928583_1047782813_n.jpg

I am an expert on this subject as my entire youth revolved around lies. Here are my thoughts.

Dont use the death in the family excuse. I worked for JC Penny in my late teen years and wanted to get out of work once and I told them my grandmother died. I felt kind of crappy about it but still went ahead with it. Well then I got a sympathy card that they sent out to my parents house which they found and that wasnt good. I had to then go back to them and say I lied (I also got paid for the day which was really bad).

If you are going to use the call in sick excuse you need to plant the seed days ahead. Monday make sure you cough a ton and complain to staff about how crappy you feel and it started over the weekend. Tuesday do the same thing but make sure your symptoms worsen. Stay up until 3 AM Wednesday and then get up at 6AM. Do not shower and go into work dressed down carrying kleenex in your hands. When people ask if you have called the doctor tell them that you are calling the doctor today to see if you can get in because you cant shake this thing you have. That afternoon make sure you leave early saying you have a doctors appointment. Then when you call in sick Thursday people will say ""well he was sick all week." Never just call in sick on a whim. That is the classic employee mistake. employers can sniff it out a mile away.

Have someone call your cell phone about noon during the meeting with an emergency. Purposely dont answer it the first two times they call. Then on he third time they call you excuse yourself and say you need to take this call. Excuse yourself from the room and when you go into the hall to talk in private make sure you come back into the room flustered. If you have kids use them as an excuse "Jimmy threw up at school and I need to pick him up." Or use the wife excuse "It was Suzie, she had a blow out on 81 near Pulaski and drove into a ditch and shes pretty shaken up and I need to go help her."

I have more if you are interested.

good suggestions Ferris

I am an expert on this subject as my entire youth revolved around lies. Here are my thoughts.

Dont use the death in the family excuse. I worked for JC Penny in my late teen years and wanted to get out of work once and I told them my grandmother died. I felt kind of crappy about it but still went ahead with it. Well then I got a sympathy card that they sent out to my parents house which they found and that wasnt good. I had to them go back to them and say I lied (I also got paid for the day which was really bad).

If you are going to use the call in sick excuse you need to plant the seed days ahead. Monday make sure you cough a ton and complain to staff about how crappy you feel and it started over the weekend. Tuesday do the same thing but make sure your symptoms worsen. Stay up until 3 AM Wednesday and then get up at 6AM. Do not shower and go into work dressed down carrying kleenex in your hands. Wen people ask if you have called the doctor tell them that you are calling the doctor today to see if you can get in because you cant shake this thing you have. That afternoon make sure you leave early saying you have a doctors appointment. Then when you call in sick Thursday people will say ""well he was sick all week." Never just call in sick on a whim. That is the classic employee mistake. employers can sniff it out a mile away.

Have someone call your cell phone about noon during the meeting with an emergency. Excuse yourself from the room and when you go into the hall to talk in private make sure you come back into the room flustered. If you have kids use them as an excuse "Jimmy threw up at school and I need to pick him up." Or use the wife excuse "It was Suzie, she had a blow out on 81 near Pulaski and drove into a ditch and shes pretty shaken up and I need to go help her."

Dont use the death in the family excuse. I worked for JC Penny in my late teen years and wanted to get out of work once and I told them my grandmother died. I felt kind of crappy about it but still went ahead with it. Well then I got a sympathy card that they sent out to my parents house which they found and that wasnt good. I had to them go back to them and say I lied (I also got paid for the day which was really bad).

If you are going to use the call in sick excuse you need to plant the seed days ahead. Monday make sure you cough a ton and complain to staff about how crappy you feel and it started over the weekend. Tuesday do the same thing but make sure your symptoms worsen. Stay up until 3 AM Wednesday and then get up at 6AM. Do not shower and go into work dressed down carrying kleenex in your hands. Wen people ask if you have called the doctor tell them that you are calling the doctor today to see if you can get in because you cant shake this thing you have. That afternoon make sure you leave early saying you have a doctors appointment. Then when you call in sick Thursday people will say ""well he was sick all week." Never just call in sick on a whim. That is the classic employee mistake. employers can sniff it out a mile away.

Have someone call your cell phone about noon during the meeting with an emergency. Purposely dont answer it the first two times they call. Then on he third time they call you excuse yourself and say you need to take this call. Excuse yourself from the room and when you go into the hall to talk in private make sure you come back into the room flustered. If you have kids use them as an excuse "Jimmy threw up at school and I need to pick him up." Or use the wife excuse "It was Suzie, she had a blow out on 81 near Pulaski and drove into a ditch and shes pretty shaken up and I need to go help her."

You know March is almost here when Marsh tells his fake death in a family to watch the NCAA tournament story... :)

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise is an unusual, but winning, gambit

I don't even have to come into the office - I can do this job from home.

Absolutely. I like to use the term "Lie on the fly". Only the great ones can lie at the snap of a finger and conjure up a story in 2 seconds. I unfortunately have that gift although it has lied dormant for many years.

You know March is almost here when Marsh tells his fake death in a family to watch the NCAA tournament story... :)

Thankfully I dont have to worry about that anymore but you sometimes have to do these things.

dont you have a cell phone? just watch it while acting like you are paying attention to the meeting.

My wife is due to give birth on 3/7. With my two-week paternity leave, I get the week of the BET off, as well as the first week of the NCAAs.

Only catch is that I have to raise an actual baby, which is probably a piece of cake.

just remember iommi, youre never gonna get ahead saying yes to The Man. i think sabbath should cover this

What's the song---I can't see youtubes at work.

Screw all this cloak and dagger BS.

You have the chance to make a real power play and be the people's champion. Don't waste that kind of golden opportunity.

Is there any chance this meeting was announced via email to everybody? If so, hit reply all and state something like "I'm sure this is a mistake - that's the first day of the tournament." or "Am I to assume a television will be provided during the meeting for the tournament?"

Punch upwards, friend.

Screw all this cloak and dagger BS.

You have the chance to make a real power play and be the people's champion. Don't waste that kind of golden opportunity.

Is there any chance this meeting was announced via email to everybody? If so, hit reply all and state something like "I'm sure this is a mistake - that's the first day of the tournament." or "Am I to assume a television will be provided during the meeting for the tournament?"

Punch upwards, friend.

I have to agree with 690 on this one. All of this could have been avoided if you just took off the days months in advance.