SU’s advantage is at QB and Rb | Syracusefan.com

SU’s advantage is at QB and Rb

GoSU96

Living Legend
It needs Shrader and Tucker to make impact plays and be the best players on the field.

The OL needs to break even with their DL. State is not a pressure defense, they bring three, and drop 8 in coverage and rely on holding the LOS and letting the back 8 make tackles in run support. SU does a lot more in trying to generate negative plays.

NCSt had a distinct advantage on the outside on offense the last couple of years, they don’t this year.

The only way that NCSt can win is to steam roll running the ball or SU to gift them points on TO’s or specials.

Our pass blocking is a concern against their defense. I’m sure Anae is more than aware of this, and is preparing accordingly. I predict a low scoring, grueling battle in the trenches type of game.

If they drop 8 and let 3 pin their ears back (335), it might make passing tough. But as you said in the OP we should be able to run against that scheme if we keep them guessing (i.e., don't run Tucker into the A/B gap on 1st down). Counters, RB/WR screens, QB-designed runs, draws, and power sweeps with zone blocking ... all those should work until they start loading the box, then we put Gadsden, Pena and Alford to work. This will be a rock fight and our special T's may be the difference.

Last edited:
Tucker has to be the back we saw play L'ville.
Anae has to have "something" put together that gets Syracuse a 2 score lead.
SHrader has to be smart, get the ball out quickly and not take any nasty hits.
Mikel and Marlowe got to have big nights.
The crowd gotta be "bananas".
We don't want a 13-10 game late with THEIR FG kicker.

Tucker has to be the back we saw play L'ville.
Anae has to have "something" put together that gets Syracuse a 2 score lead.
SHrader has to be smart, get the ball out quickly and not take any nasty hits.
Mikel and Marlowe got to have big nights.
The crowd gotta be "bananas".
We don't want a 13-10 game late with THEIR FG kicker.
It’s going to be low scoring and close I think, that’s going to be hard to avoid. But I agree they will have to scheme around Shrader not getting much time at all. He’ll probably be under siege the entire game with this leaky OL, so might as well plan for it.

Give me two weeks (three if you count Wagner as a pseudo-bye) with Anae to prepare for the NC State defense. I think he will have a plan to score enough to win the game. With a backup QB against our pressure D, I think we get some big plays (int/sack/fumbles) that make the difference.

Give me two weeks (three if you count Wagner as a pseudo-bye) with Anae to prepare for the NC State defense. I think he will have a plan to score enough to win the game. With a backup QB against our pressure D, I think we get some big plays (int/sack/fumbles) that make the difference.
Agree on Anae, I have a lot of faith in him gameplan wise.

As much as I dislike NCState, they are consistent. This fall, SU matches up against NCState's consistency very well and surpasses them in a few areas.

They run the same 3-3-5 defense, so we are told. TW's 3-3-5 is more aggressive, disruptive, and our athletes match up, if not surpass, theirs. The back 8 is filled with NFL talent and propects. The line is the weak spot as it is thin, but very aggressive and nut meat headed. Fast, smart, decisive, interrupting, with quick linebackers who hit hard following close behind. NCState's line is bigger, more traditional in size but not as quick. They are deeper, not dinged up, and this is a favorable spor for NCState. As a complete unit, they don't play the 3-3-5 the same way as TW coaches it, more like NCState plays 3-3-5v2.0 while SU under TW plays 3-3-5v3.7. Advantage: MOB

At QB, I think Shrader was already ahead, but with a back up, Shrader is by far a big advantage. TW does not need game film to prep his D. Anae will have a game plan for Shader and Beck will have Shrader's head in the game. Plus we have depth. CDRW can step in if NCState wishes to play Louisville dirty ball. Advatage: Shredder

Likewise, RB was already an SU advantage because Tucker is Tucker. Give him an inch, he will take a touchdown. With their top RB out, the point is moot. Plus, we have depth. Complain about Dino's record all you want but considering the status of the talent cupboard when he arrived in town compared to now, we are talking world's apart in a good way, and getting better. Advantage: as if you didn't know...Tucker by a long shot.

The wide receivers formerly was a NCState strength. Coming into this season, SU would still question this group. However, Gadsden has solidified the group, others are settling in to a more stable corps. Meanwhile, NCState has QB issues and must deal with elite level - and possibly the best tandem in the country of lock down corners - DBs. SU receivers will face NCState's solid DB corps. Advantage: Push

The O.L. is probably the one group that is clearly NCState's strong spot. This may be more by deferment, though. SU is deeper and has better pass block but is weak in the run blocking. NCState is more well rounded and can be expected to present a balanced attack, assuming the QB can pass. SU being small on the D-line will probably tempt NCState to run more, which may help a back up QB in the noisy Dome. SU's line has not opened lanes for Tucker like they did last year. To be sure, teams must game plan for Tucker, but Anae usually makes opposing defenses pay by using Tucker as a receiver. Advantage: NCState

Special Teams is tough. Both schools have decent special teams. I am partial to SU because it can't be said enough, Szmyt happens...to opposing teams. In fact, Szmyt is looking like he may add another Groza award to his trophy case. Pena appears ready to break a return to the house. NCState has equal talent. Advantage: Push

Home field: The Dome is always a good place to play. The weather will be good. The kickers don't worry about the crosswinds. The ground is dry and fast. The crowd is noisy. NCStae Ned's to jump out to a three TD lead and shut the crowd down, otherwise they are toast. I expect SU will attempt to push for the early aggressive lead and make NCState play catch up. Keeping the crowd in the game, noisy, so loud that NCState can't hear themselves think. Advantage: Syracuse

This is the year SU asserts its dominance and its rightful place in the football pecking order.

I think this game could play out similar to the UL game. We dominate their QB and LOS when they’re on offense. I’m not sure we’ll put up 31 but I 24-7 but a dominating performance is possible. I’m not discounting Ncstate at all. But the potential is there to manhandle their offense especially with backup QB, assuming we don’t let him run for 1st downs for 4 quarters. Tucker has the potential to have a big game and Wagner showed us Anae is capable of trying new things and tinkering during the season. We haven’t always seen that.

They were literally in Clemson at night two weeks ago...
Is it tough to play AT Clemson...at night? It's not like they have won 37 games in a row at home or anything.

NCST played at sold out (50k) ECU to start the season.

Maybe when the OP said "has never played anyplace close to what they are going to experience Saturday" he meant within the last 2 weeks?

In any case, The JMA will be rocking Saturday...

Smart post here realizing how tough that ECU crowd was. Largest crowd they’ve ever had and they were rowdy. At Clemson was ridiculously loud. It’s going to be loud Saturday but the team isn’t going to be taken a back by it.

Of course the same poster thinks Syracuse will gash State’s defense. Syracuse will execute a few big plays, State will give up some by being aggressive but as a whole the Orange will be earning most everything they get just like State will. Everyone needs to settle in for a low scoring ball game.

Advantage fans. NCS has never played anyplace close to what they are going to experience Saturday.
I will put our noise level up against any noise level playing under the dome… but they did just play at Clemson on a Saturday night with Gameday there so they will have some experience anyway

Yeah, but not the backup QB who never throws the ball so there!
He will throw some and he can throw but he won’t be winning this game with his arm. He’s also 25 and very mature. Doeren will do everything possible to not put this game on him. He’ll be able to handle the crowd noise I think and I know it’ll be loud but he’s been around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom