Men's Soccer - SU 0 (1), Clemson 0 (4): Fri Dec 11, 6:00 PM / ESPNU [NCAA Final Four] | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Men's Soccer SU 0 (1), Clemson 0 (4): Fri Dec 11, 6:00 PM / ESPNU [NCAA Final Four]

As for the whole concept of shootouts they are really the best option because if you don't want them you can avoid them. You can prove you are the better team by scoring in the preceding 110 minutes.

As for the whole concept of shootouts they are really the best option because if you don't want them you can avoid them. You can prove you are the better team by scoring in the preceding 110 minutes.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement. "If you don't want them, you can avoid them." How does that make them the best option?

How about this: borrow an idea from the NHL with a little improvisation: For each 5 minute overtime period, you remove one player form each side. That will open things up more for the offense and increase the possibliity of a "Golden Goal" with each period.

I think there are too many defenders on the field in soccer anyway. That's why it's so low-scoring. The goal is guarding a goal as big as my living room and yet games end up 0-0.

Last edited:
SWC75 said:
Not exactly a ringing endorsement. "If you don't want them, you can avoid them." How does that make them the best option? How about this: borrow an idea from the NHL with a little improvisation: For each 5 minute overtime period, you remove one player form each side. That will open things up more for the offense and increase the possibliity of a "Golden Goal" with each period. I think there are too many defenders on the field in soccer anyway. That's why it's so low-scoring. The goal is guarding a goal as big as my living room and yet games end up 0-0.

A lot of indoor leagues do that. At least at the youth level.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement. "If you don't want them, you can avoid them." How does that make them the best option?

How about this: borrow an idea from the NHL with a little improvisation: For each 5 minute overtime period, you remove one player form each side. That will open things up more for the offense and increase the possibliity of a "Golden Goal" with each period.

I think there are too many defenders on the field in soccer anyway. That's why it's so low-scoring. The goal is guarding a goal as big as my living room and yet games end up 0-0.

Okay fair point, but I think shootouts also make for compelling drama. I like them when they aren't too frequent, and they aren't. I'll never forget the shootout that won the Champions League for Chelsea. Chelsea was on the brink of losing and a couple of kicks later, Drogba seals it. And who can forget Beckham or Baggio improbably sailing one over the bar?

Admittedly, sometimes they can be anticlimactic, and the one at the end of SU/Clemson certainly was. So it goes.

I'm not a fan of what the NHL does. Entertainment wise it's great but the game is played 5v5. We're not trying to figure out which team is the best at 4v4 or 3v3.

I believe you guys would have fared a lot better then we did yesterday...

I believe you guys would have fared a lot better then we did yesterday...

I think our game took enough out of both teams that either would have had a rough go of the finals. Congrats on a great season.

I think our game took enough out of both teams that either would have had a rough go of the finals. Congrats on a great season.
Thanks. Hopefully both of us will be back in the College Cup next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom