Women's Lacrosse - SU 12 vs Southern California 11 [NCAA Qtrs]: Sat May 21, 3:00 PM ESPN3 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse SU 12 vs Southern California 11 [NCAA Qtrs]: Sat May 21, 3:00 PM ESPN3

I love SU sports. Having said that, I understand the basics of lacrosse but I lived more than half my life in areas that were not hotbeds (to say the least). So I admit I do not understand all the nuances of the rules. So could somebody explain why her goal was disqualified and then penalized?

I love SU sports. Having said that, I understand the basics of lacrosse but I lived more than half my life in areas that were not hotbeds (to say the least). So I admit I do not understand all the nuances of the rules. So could somebody explain why her goal was disqualified and then penalized?
Because her follow-through on the shot hit an opposing player. Now it may have been the lax equivalent of a soccer dive, but no matter. The ref called it. There is no discretion if you call the dangerous play.

Remember, they have absolutely no padding except for goggles.

I didn't see it because my feed kept cutting in and out but it was probably because the refs called it a "dangerous" shot.

Because her follow-through on the shot hit an opposing player. Now it may have been the lax equivalent of a soccer dive, but no matter. The ref called it. There is no discretion if you call the dangerous play.

it was a flop and USC got the call. It was a Greg Paulus

Thank you for the explanation. But still don't understand it. As I saw it, she made a spin move to make a clean shot, but in doing her spin move she, off balance, with her back, bumped/collided with an opposing player. Just don't see that as intentional, or does intentional/not intentional count in lacrosse?

Confused.:crazy: Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for the explanation. But still don't understand it. As I saw it, she made a spin move to make a clean shot, but in doing her spin move she, off balance, with her back, bumped/collided with an opposing player. Just don't see that as intentional, or does intentional/not intentional count in lacrosse?

Not at all. WLAX rules are different and somewhat confusing. I know a bit because I coached/followed my daughter in her playing days.

It's really a matter of the stick hitting the player on the follow-through. It looked like it did, but could have been a dive. Intent doesn't matter.

Not at all. WLAX rules are different and somewhat confusing. I know a bit because I coached/followed my daughter in her playing days.

It's really a matter of the stick hitting the player on the follow-through. It looked like it did, but could have been a dive. Intent doesn't matter.

So the call I don't get is something like shot impediment or something to that effect. I saw it called a couple times on USC about 10-15 yards from the goal.

So the call I don't get is something like shot impediment or something to that effect. I saw it called a couple times on USC about 10-15 yards from the goal.
Hmm...from the rule book:

Offensive Fouls

Offensive players gain an unfair advantage when they force through, cradle in
the sphere, set illegal picks, shoot or propel dangerously, follow through in an uncontrolled or unsafe manner, and/or fail to control their bodies after a shot. Officials need to be particularly vigilant to see the attack player fouls and enforce all fouls equally and fairly.

Not exactly sure about "impediment," but maybe the above covers it.

Offensive Fouls

the sphere, set illegal picks, shoot or propel dangerously, follow through in an uncontrolled or unsafe manner, and/or fail to control their bodies after a shot. Officials need to be particularly vigilant to see the attack player fouls and enforce all fouls equally and fairly.

The fouls were called against USC who was on defense and we had the ball about 10-15 yards out from their goal.

With regard to a 'dangerous' shot, I don't think intentional/not intentional matters.

Offensive Fouls

That rule explains my question. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

OrangeinBoston said:
Hmm...from the rule book: Offensive Fouls Offensive players gain an unfair advantage when they force through, cradle in the sphere, set illegal picks, shoot or propel dangerously, follow through in an uncontrolled or unsafe manner, and/or fail to control their bodies after a shot. Officials need to be particularly vigilant to see the attack player fouls and enforce all fouls equally and fairly. Not exactly sure about "impediment," but maybe the above covers it.

Ok, I just found the rule I was referencing but had worded it completely wrong. It's called Obstruction of Free Space to Goal.

5 Final Fours for SU this year - field hockey, men's soccer, 2 x basketball & WLAX, correct?

Men's Cross Country won a Nat'l Championship, but they don't have a "Final Four".

Women's Rowing will be in the NCAA's next month.

Ok, I just found the rule I was referencing but had worded it completely wrong. It's called Obstruction of Free Space to Goal.
Sometimes I think they just took the rules for Field Hockey and applied them to Womens' Lax.

Fashion question:

We saw a number of young ladies wearing orange camouflage hooded parkas with the distinctive SU block S on the front. My wife really loved them and so I said I would try to find out where to purchase one. However, my online searches bore no fruit. Any clues from anybody out there?

OK, shooting space. If you watch Majorana's goal from the left side in the second half, you'll see that she really stings the upper right corner. Not as fast as a guy's shot, but still really humming. If a defender's face gets in the way of that, it's going to do some serious damage. That's why they call shooting space.

OK, shooting space. If you watch Majorana's goal from the left side in the second half, you'll see that she really stings the upper right corner. Not as fast as a guy's shot, but still really humming. If a defender's face gets in the way of that, it's going to do some serious damage. That's why they call shooting space.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom