Women's Lacrosse - SU 12 vs Stony Brook 13 (OT): Tues Mar 5, 6 PM | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse SU 12 vs Stony Brook 13 (OT): Tues Mar 5, 6 PM

Maybe if Treanor would stop the malpractice by playing S. Sweitzer, the result would've went a little different today. I don't care about the 2 goals she scored either. She chokes the everlasting life out of the ball/offense and she's taking up precious time that other capable young guns could be using to create chemistry for later on in the year.

The way KT managed the game against ND by sitting Sweitzer and playing more of Britton, Rode, Caramelli, and Muchnick was perfect. Had S. Sweitzer played against ND, we lose that game easily. Until Treanor learns this, we will continue to lose against top teams. Period.

Swietzer who had 2 goals tonight sitting doesn’t make alot of sense long season ahead with lots of opportunities you can panic if you wish i just enjoy good lacrosse

Just finished watching the game and boy was this eye opening. Two biggest take aways were that SB was the tougher team that wanted the win and Syracuse doesn’t have an elite player. From what I saw, Cuse expected to win and SB fought to win. Syracuse has a bunch of nice players that have done well at times but today that all stood around and waited for goals to magically appear. There is no Ellie Masera on this team. She grinded her team to victory.

Our best players are shells of their former selves. Games like tonight’s show us how special Meag Tyrell was for the Orange over the past few season.

Do tell as thay would be HUGE
No inside information. Alexa Spallina is a 2025. Kayla has not hired a fourth assistant this year. Spallina's contract with Stony Brook ends in 2026. Maybe Kayla is saving the coaching spot for Spallina who might leave his contract with Stony Brook a year or two early? I don't know if women's coaches typically have buy-outs, which of course could be a factor in this. Again, no inside information here- just trying to read some tea leaves and hoping the future might unfold this way.

No inside information. Alexa Spallina is a 2025. Kayla has not hired a fourth assistant this year. Spallina's contract with Stony Brook ends in 2026. Maybe Kayla is saving the coaching spot for Spallina who might leave his contract with Stony Brook a year or two early? I don't know if women's coaches typically have buy-outs, which of course could be a factor in this. Again, no inside information here- just trying to read some tea leaves and hoping the future might unfold this way.
Understand but I am not sure how Kayla and Joe could work together. Seems like they would probably butt heads and have to many cooks in the kitchen type of thing. Kayla was clearly a phenomenal player but is young and still learning the coaching game. When she was hired, I was hoping she could recruit well enough to overcome some of the coaching learning curve. Joe has been doing this for decades and is one of the best women’s coaches out there.

Understand but I am not sure how Kayla and Joe could work together. Seems like they would probably butt heads and have to many cooks in the kitchen type of thing. Kayla was clearly a phenomenal player but is young and still learning the coaching game. When she was hired, I was hoping she could recruit well enough to overcome some of the coaching learning curve. Joe has been doing this for decades and is one of the best women’s coaches out there.
Understand the popularity of hiring Kayla, but she was not the best coach out there.

We don't play smart.

Penalties, and the inability to score in man-up situations.

We'll figure it out.
We're 6 games into the season and the record is 3W 3L We're waiting...

There is no evidence that Treanor can "figure it out" during a game situation which you have to be able to do. Remember the tournament game last year vs BC? They had a lead, BC came back, the offense went stale. SU desperately needed a time out to call plays to counter BC's adjustment. Treanor never called a time out. Why? Probably because she had no idea what to do.

Yesterday, the most glaring examples of being clueless are the two situations when SU was two women up. They couldn't even get a shot off. For gawd's sake, call a time out and draw up a play! As chess master Garry Kasparov said, "It's better to have a bad plan than no plan at all."

Came out flat as could be. Instead of seriousness, lots of yucking it up on the sideline when you're in the middle of a really tough game.

There is no evidence that Treanor can "figure it out" during a game situation which you have to be able to do. Remember the tournament game last year vs BC? They had a lead, BC came back, the offense went stale. SU desperately needed a time out to call plays to counter BC's adjustment. Treanor never called a time out. Why? Probably because she had no idea what to do.

Yesterday, the most glaring examples of being clueless are the two situations when SU was two women up. They couldn't even get a shot off. For gawd's sake, call a time out and draw up a play! As chess master Garry Kasparov said, "It's better to have a bad plan than no plan at all."

Came out flat as could be. Instead of seriousness, lots of yucking it up on the sideline when you're in the middle of a really tough game.
Sometimes it’s not the Xs and Os, it’s the Jimmy’s and Joe’s. I think the biggest issue with the power-play unit is that Emma ward is the only feeder. None of the other six players that go out there are passers. Last year on man up we had Meag T and Sierra C, who were outstanding passers to go along with Emma Ward. That said, you cannot go 1-6 with an advantage.

This isn’t happening for a thousand reasons,
many of which I won’t share here. But the simplest one is that Spallina is never going to be anyone’s number two. Not happening.

Some of you are acting like we were winning National Titles before Kayla too. We were killed by injuries last year. That should have been a title winning team.

This year is partially a talent issue that she needs to address with recruiting. Based on the incoming talent it seems like she has but the portal will help too. She needs to be more aggressive there.

Kayla is incredibly well respected across the lacrosse world and wants to win more than anyone. Moving on from her already is ridic. We’ve lost two games in OT. I’d rather clean that up and be prepared to win later in the year in playoffs.

many of which I won’t share here. But the simplest one is that Spallina is never going to be anyone’s number two. Not happening.

Some of you are acting like we were winning National Titles before Kayla too. We were killed by injuries last year. That should have been a title winning team.

This year is partially a talent issue that she needs to address with recruiting. Based on the incoming talent it seems like she has but the portal will help too. She needs to be more aggressive there.

Kayla is incredibly well respected across the lacrosse world and wants to win more than anyone. Moving on from her already is ridic. We’ve lost two games in OT. I’d rather clean that up and be prepared to win later in the year in playoffs.
Agree with you on all counts. She is definitely addressing the talent issue with recruiting. This seasons 4th & 5th year class, that has been here their whole career, some talented players (ward, Tyrell, Bianca, goodale, smith). They are the last strong class Gary brought in. Gaits last two recruiting classes were not good, the current sophomores and juniors. Name three players in those two classes that have done anything. It’s Adamson, VanDiver, and ???

I was hopeful that by bringing in an experienced coach like Rehfuss, Syracuse could clean up their undisciplined play but that had killed them in two of the three losses. Both OT losses came off green cards that were 100% unavoidable with some discipline. But just like the 2022 championship game, undisciplined play with cost wins against good teams.

Feel KT will eventually become a very good coach. There is a learning curve. The one thing that seems to be a concern is that she interacts with the players as a friend or teammate not a head coach. I think that is where the lack of discipline play occurs.
A coach can love and respect their players but still define the rolls for accountability. Look at Coach Jack. She clearly loves all her players but does require disciplined play.

Watching the replay and the thing that I feel is standing out is not coaching or an individual player, but the amount of balls that were intercepted on forced passes by all the girls.. they can definitely clean that up and definitely need to play less sloppy
I also agree that we are missing the “it” player.. I think we do have at least one if not 2 that are out for the season(Vogleman and Volpe) who on a positive note, get to redshirt this year.And a couple more top players coming in next year.. and of course the ‘25 Class.. this team looks to be dangerous very very soon.. as far as this year, we have a bunch of talented girls that need to play together in order to get the wins

Understand the popularity of hiring Kayla, but she was not the best coach out there.

The eternal solution: "Fire the coach!"

It's baffling that such a great offensive player as Kayla can put such an uninspiring product on the field. Endless passing around the perimeter with time elapsing, seemingly looking for somebody to do something and, all too often, ending with nothing.

The good teams, and Stony Brook is a very good one, attack from the start. Crisp passing, cutters and quick stick goals.

The passivity is a killer. There were stretches that I missed as I tried to watch the men's BB game, but did they employ the weave at all? That at least seems to supply the energy and attacking that's missing. There is talent. It's a question of finding a better way to utilize it

Worried but hoping for the best going forward.

Well, you can't fire the players. Firing the AD probably won't help. The equipment manager? Who else are you going to fire? :)

I never said to fire the coach, just that she was not the best coach available. If you think she was, oh well.

Hopefully she matures into the job.

Feel KT will eventually become a very good coach. There is a learning curve. The one thing that seems to be a concern is that she interacts with the players as a friend or teammate not a head coach. I think that is where the lack of discipline play occurs.
A coach can love and respect their players but still define the rolls for accountability. Look at Coach Jack. She clearly loves all her players but does require disciplined play.
With all do respect Kayla took her team further then Coach Jack ever has in her first season then went to a final four in her second season and isn’t even half way through her 3rd season and the lunatics on this board are crying for her to be fired because they lost 3 top 10 games 2 of them in OT When people start posting something rational I’ll start reading again

With all do respect Kayla took her team further then Coach Jack ever has in her first season then went to a final four in her second season and isn’t even half way through her 3rd season and the lunatics on this board are crying for her to be fired because they lost 3 top 10 games 2 of them in OT When people start posting something rational I’ll start reading again
The comments here are not just knee-jerk reactions to losing a couple of games in OT. If you read carefully, you will see that there are many good reasons for questioning her coaching ability. Maybe she'll grow into the role, and maybe not. Time will tell. This is a chat board where criticism is allowed, not just a place for unfettered cheerleading.

I should refer you to the men's lax board where Gait has taken his share of grilling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom