SU #13 recruiting class in ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU #13 recruiting class in ACC

That's what im worried about. Our line being outclassed by FSU, miami, clemson, our QBs and running backs not able to do anything because they have no space. Our linebackers getting eaten up. Our wide receivers not being able to get open and our corners getting beaten bad.

I really hope that hard work and our coaches emphasis on fundamentals and scheme makes up for it.

We're at a really important juncture right now. Conference realignment is out of control. No one cares about our history right now. I dont know when the last time we were top 25 was. I care too much about this program to tolerate being able to be left behind. I really hope our athletes are tough enough to battle toe to toe with great competition week in and week out.

Im pretty scared about the FSU game this year. This will be the first time in a while we see a team that is on a whole different level in terms of "talent"
Stand-up an back away from the cliff...

That's what im worried about. Our line being outclassed by FSU, miami, clemson, our QBs and running backs not able to do anything because they have no space. Our linebackers getting eaten up. Our wide receivers not being able to get open and our corners getting beaten bad.

I really hope that hard work and our coaches emphasis on fundamentals and scheme makes up for it.

We're at a really important juncture right now. Conference realignment is out of control. No one cares about our history right now. I dont know when the last time we were top 25 was. I care too much about this program to tolerate being able to be left behind. I really hope our athletes are tough enough to battle toe to toe with great competition week in and week out.

Im pretty scared about the FSU game this year. This will be the first time in a while we see a team that is on a whole different level in terms of "talent"

We played freaking USC this year! We've seen teams on a "whole different level in terms of "star system rankings"" and with somewhat better talent, which I'm glad doesn't always equate to star rankings. Thank goodness our team didn't get "scared". We played them tough and it wasn't an embarrassment.

I expect more of the same this year. I think we'll play just fine against FSU and Clemson that have much better star system rankings and somewhat better talent. They'll be favored but I expect close games. Every other game is very winable despite the fact that we will have a lower ranked team by the star rating system over the last several years than any of our opponents except likely the to be added game.

When was the last time Syracuse had what would be considered a "good" recruiting class? I think we all knew there would be some disappointments in this class, one bad recruiting class is not going to tank this program. We filled some needs but next year is where we will see some serious improvement.

When was the last time Syracuse had what would be considered a "good" recruiting class? I think we all knew there would be some disappointments in this class, one bad recruiting class is not going to tank this program. We filled some needs but next year is where we will see some serious improvement.
News alert...this IS a good class.

When just about your entire coaching staff leaves a few weeks before signing day it destroys the class. Many of the top rated recruits bolt for other programs. We would have been higher without the staff changes. We'll see what this staff can do next year...but no question it sets the program back.

Destroys the class?

Oy vey

the yahoo site has UCant ahead of us because of some stupid point system they had 26 kids commit with 12 of those 3* for a 2.5 average. But because we only had 19 kids with 11 3* with a 2.58 average they had more kids over all they were ranked higher

Look at USC. I think they were ranked 12th or something, 12 kids, five 5*, seven 4*, but because they only have 12 schollys to give they fall out of the top 10. RANKINGS SUCK
Espn has us at 15 guys at 3 star and four at 2 star . Considering what we thought 1 month ago , i'm very content !

We don't have to think about hte entire ACC in FB just our division...

Also, here’s how the ACC’s Atlantic Division recruiting classes are ranked as of 5 p.m. on Wednesday.
R****s
FSU - No. 11
Clemson - No. 14
Maryland - No. 31
N.C. State - No. 46
Wake Forest - No. 58
Syracuse - No. 72
Boston College - No. 87

S***t
Clemson - No. 12
FSU - No. 15
Maryland - No. 48
N.C. State - No. 53
Wake Forest - No. 62
Syracuse - No. 74
Boston College - No. 91

247Sports
FSU - No. 9
Clemson - No. 15
Maryland - No. 31
N.C. State - No. 60
Syracuse - No. 69
Wake Forest - No. 82
Boston College - No. 94

The 1987 starting fullback for Syracuse didn't even get a division 1 offer except SU, but Moose went on to a pretty good NFL career. Emmitt even thanked him at his Hall Of Fame induction. Football especially is a sport where some kids plateau at an earlier age, and others don't reach full maturity until later.

We look quite a bit better IMO if you include Funderburke and Raymon.
Yeah there's something to be said for that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. The rankings are meaningless beyond the can't miss guys. In basketball you can pretty much roll the dice after the top 10 as to who will pan out and who won't. In football, it's probably the top 50. Beyond that it's about physical gifts, work ethic, fit to the system, teaching, and the ability to learn. You can turn a #150 into a top draft pick. It's been done many times. I think this staff can succeed with "hard nosed" players.

Remember Virginia, people. Remember all those years they were raking in highly touted talent, even stealing players from us at the 11th hour? Where did that get them? Al Groh did squat with it.

We will be fine next year. We won't win the ACC, but we certainly won't embarrass ourselves either.

David Oku was a "can't miss" guy and what happened to him? Thud.

David Oku was a "can't miss" guy and what happened to him? Thud.
You haven't been following Oku I take it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I don't care what the rankings say. We can compete against these schools any day of the week with any kid.

N.C. State - No. 46
Wake Forest - No. 58
Syracuse - No. 72
Boston College - No. 87
Georgia Tech
Louisville

I don't care what the rankings say. We can compete against these schools any day of the week with any kid.

N.C. State - No. 46
Wake Forest - No. 58
Syracuse - No. 72
Boston College - No. 87
Georgia Tech
Louisville

I'm still convinced are JC guys aren't graded properly accept by 247. It also doesn't factor in that our JC guys are ready to come in and compete immediately .

N.C. State - No. 46
Wake Forest - No. 58
Syracuse - No. 72
Boston College - No. 87
Georgia Tech
Louisville
That is the impression I have as well. FSU and Clemson get much more highly ranked recruits, but the rest of this division is pretty much the same. The difference will come down to how well these kids are coached up and how well the coaches identify talent beyond the "can't miss" athletes.

N.C. State - No. 46
Wake Forest - No. 58
Syracuse - No. 72
Boston College - No. 87
Georgia Tech
Louisville

I agree with that. A single class only makes up 1/4-1/5 of a team. And IMO, talent is 50% of the equation with coaching being the other 50%.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

The 1987 starting fullback for Syracuse didn't even get a division 1 offer except SU, but Moose went on to a pretty good NFL career. Emmitt even thanked him at his Hall Of Fame induction. Football especially is a sport where some kids plateau at an earlier age, and others don't reach full maturity until later.
That is pretty much what Doug has been saying since his first day on the job. I disagreed then but said nothing out of courtesy when he visited LAWe met on the dayb the Greg Paulus'announcement was made.

I agree with that. A single class only makes up 1/4-1/5 of a team. And IMO, talent is 50% of the equation with coaching being the other 50%.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3
I think it's more of a 33% talent, 33% attitude and work ethic, 33% coaching

Could be that too. I was just speaking generally, not exact absolutes. But those are all a factor, meaqning success isn't 100% talent.

Louisville ended up #13 and Cinci ended up #22 in espn/usa today polls ... SU zero votes ... the rest of the nation doesn't agree with you
I wish we played Louisville last year. I think we could have given them a good game. Oh wait...

I once asked Jim Boeheim whether this was true: If a player at age 25 is an NBA starter, he was 20% of what he was going to be coming out of high school and 80% coming out of college. the star ratings are snapshots of what a player is at a particular point in time. Some are incorrectly evaluated. Some are correctly evaluated but have or haven't peaked yet. Some will get injured. Some will have academic or disciplinary problems. Some won't have the work ethic or will have a "superstar attitude". Others do and don't.

Is it better to have a highly rated class than not? Sure, especially if you get a series of them. But that doesn't guarantee success and not getting high ratings doesn't guarantee failure. Every major power in the country has had season or stretches when they weren't that good: Alabama, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame, Miami, Florida State, etc. etc. Schools like Boise State, Oregon, Stanford, TCU and Wisconsin that weren't big powers have become powers. Supposedly dormant programs like Kansas State and Baylor have gotten good. The whole thing isn't rigged.

I wonder where our class would be ranked if we'd just won the ACC?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom