SU #15 for SI's Luke Winn | Syracusefan.com

SU #15 for SI's Luke Winn

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../college-basketball-power-rankings/index.html

"Syracuse Orange
I follow a set of statistical rules when selecting my Breakout Sophomore team every offseason: The players must have acted like go-to-guys, with above-average usage rates and decent efficiency ratings, while playing limited minutes as freshmen. Thus the five picks were VCU's Treveon Graham, Minnesota's Andre Hollins, La Salle's Jerrell Wright, Iowa's Aaron White, UC-Santa Barbara's Alan Williams and Cleveland State's Anton Grady -- not exactly a list of major prospects, but all guys whom I think will be deserving of attention in 2012-13.

The other method of selecting breakout players -- and the one that's far more mainstream -- is to ID guys who were once highly-rated recruits, but, usually due to roster logjams, were prevented from being showcased as freshmen. If you prefer this method, then your prime picks are Syracuse's Michael Carter-Williams, who'll be taking over the point now that Scoop Jardine and Dion Waiters are gone, and North Carolina's James Michael McAdoo, who'll be a featured frontcourt option now that John Henson and Tyler Zeller are gone. Carter-Williams' usage rate was low as a freshman (a very role-playerish 18.7 percent), but he was a smart playmaker (3.4-to-1 assist/turnover ratio) and has the length (at 6-5) to be a valuable top-of-the-zone defender. He doesn't fit my breakout-scorer formula, but that doesn't mean he isn't well-positioned for a breakout season."

Im ok with the placement. We have yo prove it. We clearly have the talent. Winn's stll a hacky doucher tho.

Wow not very many scary teams in front of us on that list. I feel that we are one of the top5 teams and will be all season. We have all the peices this season as well as key experienced players coming back. Nobody will want to play us in the tourney.

Notre Dame one spot ahead of SU? Give me a break. Cuse will roll ND, even with Cooley. I put them ahead of Missouri in that list too.

NC State at #3 and FL at #5? Wow.

Notre Dame one spot ahead of SU? Give me a break. Cuse will roll ND, even with Cooley. I put them ahead of Missouri in that list too.

NC State at #3 and FL at #5? Wow.

nc state is top 3-5 everywhere.

edit* i take that back... did they lose someone? i remember a few people telling me they would be preseason 1 or 2 with indiana?

speaking of that - Indiana is the worst preseason #1 i can ever remember. And it's not that close. Mark my words - they lose 7+ games this year.

"Thus the five picks were VCU's Treveon Graham, Minnesota's Andre Hollins, La Salle's Jerrell Wright, Iowa's Aaron White, UC-Santa Barbara's Alan Williams and Cleveland State's Anton Grady

Well Luke...that would actually be 6. Not 5.

44cuse

His method is flawed. James Macadoo for example was co mvp of either the mcdonalds or jordan game.

By his method Dion wouldn't make the nba last year.
Not saying his method is bad its a way just to guess and try to put things in perspective, but it can be extremely wrong.

Rak, MCW and Cooney is very likely our best group to make a sophmore leap in years. Primarily because MCW and Cooney didn't play while Rak is ready to really break out.

Compare his method to being like a court of law. If it decided who was allowed to breakout alot of good players would be screwed. His method could miss all top 5 breakout players.

Compare his method to being like a court of law. If it decided who was allowed to breakout alot of good players would be screwed.

But he's not allowed to decide who breaks out. He has a set of parameters he likes to use to pick his breakout players. It's obviously not perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom