Women's Lacrosse - SU 16 vs Stonybrook 17: Mon Feb 10, 5 PM (ACCNX) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse SU 16 vs Stonybrook 17: Mon Feb 10, 5 PM (ACCNX)

That big run they gave up to SBU did them in.

It feels like the same theme every year for Gait’s teams. Potent offense, porous defense. He seriously needs to hire a better defensive coach.

Also, the ladies commit a lot of fouls.
Agree. Gait seems to think that if you have a great offense, it will overcome porous defense. Doesn't work in any sport.

I took away two positives from this game:
1. the ride, finally they are putting in the work between the 30's, and it showed when Stony Brook only had like 30 secs to get a shot off.
2. Grace Fahey. Man, did she guard Ally Kennedy well. 1v1 Ally Kennedy stood no chance, which surprised me.

Other than those two points I made, everything else was a mess.. in typical Gary Gait fashion.

Let me just rewind back a couple weeks to a little quote Gary said in the NCAA Lacrosse Preview: "We’re going to develop the ability to finish games and win the big ones." I just really have to have a laugh. Why am I not shocked at this result at all? lol. Year in and year out, after quarterfinal losses, after NCAA championship game losses, ACC Tourney losses, I've just accepted that the fact that thats all Gary knows how to do, is lose. I really do respect all that Gary has done for the women's game and I think he should be involved in the women's game to some capacity, but I think its getting a bit ridiculous now and may be time to hang it up as head coach.

You have how many seniors on this team? HOW MANY?! Stony Brook has how many freshman/sophomores on their team? And this is the product you put out? What on God's green earth even was that offense that we seen today? Trying to force and jam balls in the middle when girls are being marked or the area is heavily congested. Lost count of how many times Morgan Alexander turned the ball over. We're down like 4-5 goals, Gary calls a timeout and says (I can read lips) "relax, move the ball, move your feet, and do what we need to do"... like really Gary? Those are your words of wisdom? Boy, oh boy am I frustrated to no end. You can really tell this team has no confidence in themselves because when Ella Simkins drove the ball up the field and scored she said "I didn't think it would go in". SMH.

See what I told you all last season? Once again the defense was awful, especially in the second half. In reply to OrangeinBoston -- the defense has always been bad, and will continue to be bad; Defliese is not the answer to our defensive issues. Neither is Goldstock. #1 ranked incoming goalie in 2016 and boy has she under performed. Doesn't even help make important saves when our defense is lacking. I had high hopes for her but she is just not good. Should've been pulled way earlier than she did, too. Gary oughta give the starting spot to Van Middelem until Goldstock wants to get it together.

I took away two positives from this game:
1. the ride, finally they are putting in the work between the 30's, and it showed when Stony Brook only had like 30 secs to get a shot off.
2. Grace Fahey. Man, did she guard Ally Kennedy well. 1v1 Ally Kennedy stood no chance, which surprised me.

Other than those two points I made, everything else was a mess.. in typical Gary Gait fashion.

Let me just rewind back a couple weeks to a little quote Gary said in the NCAA Lacrosse Preview: "We’re going to develop the ability to finish games and win the big ones." I just really have to have a laugh. Why am I not shocked at this result at all? lol. Year in and year out, after quarterfinal losses, after NCAA championship game losses, ACC Tourney losses, I've just accepted that the fact that thats all Gary knows how to do, is lose. I really do respect all that Gary has done for the women's game and I think he should be involved in the women's game to some capacity, but I think its getting a bit ridiculous now and may be time to hang it up as head coach.

You have how many seniors on this team? HOW MANY?! Stony Brook has how many freshman/sophomores on their team? And this is the product you put out? What on God's green earth even was that offense that we seen today? Trying to force and jam balls in the middle when girls are being marked or the area is heavily congested. Lost count of how many times Morgan Alexander turned the ball over. We're down like 4-5 goals, Gary calls a timeout and says (I can read lips) "relax, move the ball, move your feet, and do what we need to do"... like really Gary? Those are your words of wisdom? Boy, oh boy am I frustrated to no end. You can really tell this team has no confidence in themselves because when Ella Simkins drove the ball up the field and scored she said "I didn't think it would go in". SMH.

See what I told you all last season? Once again the defense was awful, especially in the second half. In reply to OrangeinBoston -- the defense has always been bad, and will continue to be bad; Defliese is not the answer to our defensive issues. Neither is Goldstock. #1 ranked incoming goalie in 2016 and boy has she under performed. Doesn't even help make important saves when our defense is lacking. I had high hopes for her but she is just not good. Should've been pulled way earlier than she did, too. Gary oughta give the starting spot to Van Middelem until Goldstock wants to get it together.
Agree. Goldstock has never been able to adjust to this level of play on a consistent basis. But, there is a lot more to lousy defense than Goldstock.

BS interview by Gait. Still talking about offense when the problem was defense. Also, seems like they may have a locker room problem. Came out flat by their own admission while Stony Brook came out with their hair on fire.

BS interview by Gait. Still talking about offense when the problem was defense. Also, seems like they may have a locker room problem. Came out flat by their own admission while Stony Brook came out with their hair on fire.
I couldn't even make it through the full interview lol. The problem was both offense and defense though. Too many rushed possessions on offense, trying to force the ball into someone being guarded, only for them to drop the ball and Stony Brook pick it up. After, idk, maybe the 8th time you try and jam the ball in, only to turn the ball over do you say "okay, maybe we need to do something different/change it up"? Our free position opportunities are dreadful too. There's something wrong with the offense this year, its as if there is no chemistry on either of the lines.

I also believe it could be a locker room issue or something. I mean what does Gary say to them at halftime for them to come out lifeless/flat almost every time? I just dont understand. This was a recurring issue last year and what made us lose some games/almost lose some games. They can never just go out and completely dominate in these big games. I mean Stony Brook is good, but they are no Maryland or UNC or Northwestern. We should have went out there and completely dominated on our home field. This is embarrassing and leaves me worried for all of our games on the road this year because of the dome renovation.

I couldn't even make it through the full interview lol. The problem was both offense and defense though. Too many rushed possessions on offense, trying to force the ball into someone being guarded, only for them to drop the ball and Stony Brook pick it up. After, idk, maybe the 8th time you try and jam the ball in, only to turn the ball over do you say "okay, maybe we need to do something different/change it up"? Our free position opportunities are dreadful too. There's something wrong with the offense this year, its as if there is no chemistry on either of the lines.

I also believe it could be a locker room issue or something. I mean what does Gary say to them at halftime for them to come out lifeless/flat almost every time? I just dont understand. This was a recurring issue last year and what made us lose some games/almost lose some games. They can never just go out and completely dominate in these big games. I mean Stony Brook is good, but they are no Maryland or UNC or Northwestern. We should have went out there and completely dominated on our home field. This is embarrassing and leaves me worried for all of our games on the road this year because of the dome renovation.
If Gait doesn't correct these many issues, it's going to be a long and disappointing year.

If Gait doesn't correct these many issues, it's going to be a long and disappointing year.
Don't hold your breath lol. Its been how many years with the same issues and they haven't been corrected? I've lost count-- and if an issue gets corrected, theres always about 4-5 more issues lol. I'm just patiently waiting on Kathy Taylor or Kayla Treanor to come back and be our HC. I've had ENOUGH of being let down year after year. With Gait as our HC, Syracuse will forever be a place these kids go for their dreams to die. We are not winning a National Championship...

That big run they gave up to SBU did them in.

It feels like the same theme every year for Gait’s teams. Potent offense, porous defense. He seriously needs to hire a better defensive coach.

Also, the ladies commit a lot of fouls.
The man makes an extraordinary amount of money to keep having these issues ...

The man makes an extraordinary amount of money to keep having these issues ...
[/QUOTE}
Yup. Somebody lit a fire under Desko's butt and it seems to have worked (although he has to fix his defense too). Maybe Gait's butt has to feel the frying pan as well.

WLAX Stony Brook beats Syracuse at Dome? What ,does Gait get same heat as Desko

This is a small issue technically, but why in the name of the saints, apostles, and all that is holy, is there what appears to be a solid paper sized piece of metal with a Syracuse logo on it, actually inside the top of the net, that the ball bounces off when it hits in a way similar to the ball hitting the pipe?????????????? What kinda operation are we running here??? Look how it bounces off that thing!

This is a small issue technically, but why in the name of the saints, apostles, and all that is holy, is there what appears to be a solid paper sized piece of metal with a Syracuse logo on it, actually inside the top of the net, that the ball bounces off when it hits in a way similar to the ball hitting the pipe?????????????? What kinda operation are we running here??? Look how it bounces off that thing!
Meh..I’m looking at that behind the back goal which is sooo much harder to do with a woman’s stick.

WLAX Stony Brook beats Syracuse at Dome? What ,does Gait get same heat as Desko

TBH I wanted him gone in 2018 but stuck around and gave him the benefit of the doubt. Now, im all aboard the Fire Gait train and won't get off until he's gone. I still cant get over the way they played yesterday, I'm actually embarrassed for Gait. 11 seniors, #2 team in the country, home field advantage, yet still find a way to play like crap and lose; it's actually comical at this point! I'm sick of all the excuses in the post game pressers, too. At what point does he take accountability and be like, "you know what, this loss was on me. I didn't coach to the best of my ability and we will figure it out and move forward from this." etc. Instead, it "its only the second game of the season, we still have a long way to go, we didn't do this right, we didn't do that right" Well, when are you going to put all of the pieces together and finally get it right? (Sorry Ivory, wasn't finished venting my frustrations LOL)

200.gif

Gary's a very nice guy who has done a great deal for lacrosse in general and woman's lacrosse in particular. He is, however, involved in a number of other ventures in addition to coaching at SU and after over a decade and all the talent that has circulated through the program it seems likely that he just doesn't have the drive and single-minded focus it takes to get SU over that last hurdle. ...Maybe Emily and the girls can will themselves through Memorial Day this year? It would be great if Gary could leave the woman's program having just won a championship.

Gary's a very nice guy who has done a great deal for lacrosse in general and woman's lacrosse in particular. He is, however, involved in a number of other ventures in addition to coaching at SU and after over a decade and all the talent that has circulated through the program it seems likely that he just doesn't have the drive and single-minded focus it takes to get SU over that last hurdle. ...Maybe Emily and the girls can will themselves through Memorial Day this year? It would be great if Gary could leave the woman's program having just won a championship.
They will not sniff Memorial Day unless major changes are made to the defense.

I think that judgment is a bit premature. It was not a good game against Stony Brook but it was the second game in two days and I am not sure everyone was ready to play. Emily might be the best player in the woman's game this year and there is some talent on D. You might end up being right but I would like to see them play against more upper level teams before trying to assess whether they need major strategic changes or just need to play with more sustained intensity. ...I do agree that Gary's teams have generally been deficient on D and I think some of that has been a talent issue. Gary has been successful in attracting major offensive talent to SU but hasn't been able to match that on the defensive end.

They will not sniff Memorial Day unless major changes are made to the defense.

I think that judgment is a bit premature. It was not a good game against Stony Brook but it was the second game in two days and I am not sure everyone was ready to play. Emily might be the best player in the woman's game this year and there is some talent on D. You might end up being right but I would like to see them play against more upper level teams before trying to assess whether they need major strategic changes or just need to play with more sustained intensity. ...I do agree that Gary's teams have generally been deficient on D and I think some of that has been a talent issue. Gary has been successful in attracting major offensive talent to SU but hasn't been able to match that on the defensive end.

Second game in 2 days? Their first game wasn’t even a challenge in the slightest and the starters were benched after they started to pull away into the second half. You cant mean to tell me they weren’t rested. Weren’t ready to play? That’s exactly what happened, which is not surprising from a Gary Gait team. You have Northwestern (a much younger team) dropping 30 goals on Detroit mercy (a better team than Canisius), their starters were benched after the first half when it was 20-1. The next day they played duke and beat them 24-20. That’s 54 goals scored in 2 days. How is it that Northwestern is able to do it, but not Syracuse with 11 seniors? The coaching is the problem. Period.

Don’t even get me started on the talent issue; I am extremely worried for next year. We are going to be terrible. Another question— why is Gary not recruiting the Syracuse area? We have some talented players that are being passed up (particularly on the Bville and FM girls teams). Hannah Johnson from Bville and the Shanley twins from FM all headed to Northwestern next year. The Steigerwald twins from FM are freshman at Michigan this year. All of these players are extremely talented and I’ve been following them for a few years now. How are they not in a Syracuse uniform? Instead, we are left with players who will never see the field such as: molly carter, Riley fusco, lexi ledoyen, Mackenzie baker, jalyn jimerson, Georgia pesot, etc etc etc.

Second game in 2 days? Their first game wasn’t even a challenge in the slightest and the starters were benched after they started to pull away into the second half. You cant mean to tell me they weren’t rested. Weren’t ready to play? That’s exactly what happened, which is not surprising from a Gary Gait team. You have Northwestern (a much younger team) dropping 30 goals on Detroit mercy (a better team than Canisius), their starters were benched after the first half when it was 20-1. The next day they played duke and beat them 24-20. That’s 54 goals scored in 2 days. How is it that Northwestern is able to do it, but not Syracuse with 11 seniors? The coaching is the problem. Period.

Don’t even get me started on the talent issue; I am extremely worried for next year. We are going to be terrible. Another question— why is Gary not recruiting the Syracuse area? We have some talented players that are being passed up (particularly on the Bville and FM girls teams). Hannah Johnson from Bville and the Shanley twins from FM all headed to Northwestern next year. The Steigerwald twins from FM are freshman at Michigan this year. All of these players are extremely talented and I’ve been following them for a few years now. How are they not in a Syracuse uniform? Instead, we are left with players who will never see the field such as: molly carter, Riley fusco, lexi ledoyen, Mackenzie baker, jalyn jimerson, Georgia pesot, etc etc etc.
I agree with what you are saying about coaching but I'm not so sure local kids want to stick around & possibly get buried on a 60-70 player roster for what it will cost them tuition wise. I think Gary has his hands in too many side projects imo like teaming back up with his brother to relaunch Gait Lax, Gait lacrosse club etc...

I agree with what you are saying about coaching but I'm not so sure local kids want to stick around & possibly get buried on a 60-70 player roster for what it will cost them tuition wise. I think Gary has his hands in too many side projects imo like teaming back up with his brother to relaunch Gait Lax, Gait lacrosse club etc...

All the players I mentioned wouldn’t have been buried on a 60-70 player roster. They are talented enough to pass up any of the players we already have on the roster that I previously mentioned. They would be playing at home, parents don’t have to drive very far, or fly. If they were getting scholarship money they could have made the tuition feasible.

I do agree with you about Gait being involved in too many side projects though. That’s been mentioned a few times on this board already, yet he continues to add more and more on his plate which diverts his attention to involvement with player development/getting the right staff, etc etc etc, the list could go on and on.

All the players I mentioned wouldn’t have been buried on a 60-70 player roster. They are talented enough to pass up any of the players we already have on the roster that I previously mentioned. They would be playing at home, parents don’t have to drive very far, or fly. If they were getting scholarship money they could have made the tuition feasible.

I do agree with you about Gait being involved in too many side projects though. That’s been mentioned a few times on this board already, yet he continues to add more and more on his plate which diverts his attention to involvement with player development/getting the right staff, etc etc etc, the list could go on and on.
I'll just say the local kids I know don't want to go there...When they create their "Lists" Cuse isn't on them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom