Men's Soccer - SU 2 vs Providence 0: Thurs Aug 24, 7 PM | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Men's Soccer SU 2 vs Providence 0: Thurs Aug 24, 7 PM

Syracuse substitution: Mikina,Gabriel for Leveque,Mateo. [68:36]
Syracuse substitution: Suski,Mike for Kaloukian,Nicholas. [72:06]

Yellow card on Providence Varley,Mitchel for Unsporting [72:19]

Yellow card on Providence Garcia,Luis for Unsporting [74:42]

Syracuse substitution: Oyegunle,Olu for Edwards,Nathaniel. [78:16]
Syracuse substitution: Leibold,Giona for Pedregosa,Pablo. [78:16]

Replay:

Looks like Smith has won the keeper job for now.

Good crowd. 80-85% full?

Kaloukian and Boselli started as the forwards.
Good crowd. Rain held off.

Scored early but I actually thought they played better in the second half.

Bypassed the midfield too much in first half. That worked last year because Johnson and Opoku were so dynamic.

Played much more through Kocevski in the second half. Kid is really good at keeping the ball moving and creating combinations. Lots of great interplay that created numerous chances but just not the final result.

My first time ever in SU soccer stadium. Great facility and field is beautiful.

I think I played against Kocevski’s father back in the day at Westvale, the indoor facility that Bob Escobar ran.

Cat, is Singlemann dressed? Or Rauch?
Dash, I sat behind the PC bench so I didn't get a good look at either. I think Singelmann sat out the first exhibition. He might have a minor leg with a leg he is nursing along.

I haven't seen Rauch play at all this year but I might have missed it. Expected he would get a lot of PT. Will try and see if he warms up and looks fine next game.

I only was there for the first half. Just some general comments...

Syracuse tested the outside fullbacks on PC early and it was quickly evident that their right full was very good. Fast and tough. Not someone to be trifled with. On the other hand, their left fullback was a step slow and not great at positioning himself. Looked inexperienced.
Jackpot.

So SU focused its attack on the right flank of PC. Looks like they like to run the offense mostly through the interior half backs. Last time I saw them, the left side was the weaker side and they ran the offense through Leveque a lot (with great success).

Georgio Kocevski was playing inside right half . He got a lot of touches and made a number of really good passes. He makes quick decisions and puts the ball where it needs to be.

SU likes to put burners on the outside at halfback, sneak them behind and wide and then hit them with a touch pass behind the defense. Saw it a lot last year and they are doing it a lot this year too, primarily with Edwards (new transfer) and Aiden Arber. Edwards was on the right and did a lot of damage overlapping.

Arber did the same type of damage in exhibition game 1. Both have really nice speed. But Arber didn't play in the first half. Hope he gets back soon, that kid can play. Not just fast. Can pass and finish and knows spacing too.

It is impressive to see the fullbacks all focusing to hit the right player when they start the attack. Coach Mac has the team playing with a lot of discipline. They hustle, they overplay and deny the ball really well and are going to be a handful for most of the teams they will play this season.

Smith made no saves in the first half. No idea if he can play given how dominant this team has been.

Wigg and Belluz looked good. They are big and athletic. Belluz was not as offensive minded last night but he is capable of making really nice passes to start the offense.

First time I have seen Sjoberg play. He looked a little tentative and perhaps rusty but he seemed physically fine and it looks like the staff is going to work him into the lineup over time and try not to rush him into full time duty immediately. The defense is big.

Belluz is 6'6, Sjoberg is 6'4, Oyegunle is 6'3 and Wigg is 6'3. Singelmann and Mikina are 6'1. Mikina was shaky early but played a lot better as the half continued. He will be good against big, physical players but might have issues against really quick guys.

Suski got some run filling in for Kaloukian up top. Very different players. Suski did not pressure the ball much. He played with his back to the goal, almost like a post player in basketball and tried to use his body to shield the defender. Very physical. Didn't see him do much except battle his defender with his body. My first impression is that his style of play is not as good of a fit at SU as Kaloukian's style. But let's give him some time and see what the kid can do.

Dash, I sat behind the PC bench so I didn't get a good look at either. I think Singelmann sat out the first exhibition. He might have a minor leg with a leg he is nursing along.

I haven't seen Rauch play at all this year but I might have missed it. Expected he would get a lot of PT. Will try and see if he warms up and looks fine next game.

I only was there for the first half. Just some general comments...

Syracuse tested the outside fullbacks on PC early and it was quickly evident that their right full was very good. Fast and tough. Not someone to be trifled with. On the other hand, their left fullback was a step slow and not great at positioning himself. Looked inexperienced.
Jackpot.

So SU focused its attack on the right flank of PC. Looks like they like to run the offense mostly through the interior half backs. Last time I saw them, the left side was the weaker side and they ran the offense through Leveque a lot (with great success).

Georgio Kocevski was playing inside right half . He got a lot of touches and made a number of really good passes. He makes quick decisions and puts the ball where it needs to be.

SU likes to put burners on the outside at halfback, sneak them behind and wide and then hit them with a touch pass behind the defense. Saw it a lot last year and they are doing it a lot this year too, primarily with Edwards (new transfer) and Aiden Arber. Edwards was on the right and did a lot of damage overlapping.

Arber did the same type of damage in exhibition game 1. Both have really nice speed. But Arber didn't play in the first half. Hope he gets back soon, that kid can play. Not just fast. Can pass and finish and knows spacing too.

It is impressive to see the fullbacks all focusing to hit the right player when they start the attack. Coach Mac has the team playing with a lot of discipline. They hustle, they overplay and deny the ball really well and are going to be a handful for most of the teams they will play this season.

Smith made no saves in the first half. No idea if he can play given how dominant this team has been.

Wigg and Belluz looked good. They are big and athletic. Belluz was not as offensive minded last night but he is capable of making really nice passes to start the offense.

First time I have seen Sjoberg play. He looked a little tentative and perhaps rusty but he seemed physically fine and it looks like the staff is going to work him into the lineup over time and try not to rush him into full time duty immediately. The defense is big.

Belluz is 6'6, Sjoberg is 6'4, Oyegunle is 6'3 and Wigg is 6'3. Singelmann and Mikina are 6'1. Mikina was shaky early but played a lot better as the half continued. He will be good against big, physical players but might have issues against really quick guys.

Suski got some run filling in for Kaloukian up top. Very different players. Suski did not pressure the ball much. He played with his back to the goal, almost like a post player in basketball and tried to use his body to shield the defender. Very physical. Didn't see him do much except battle his defender with his body. My first impression is that his style of play is not as good of a fit at SU as Kaloukian's style. But let's give him some time and see what the kid can do.
Great observations.

Wish I had known u were there. We sat behind SU bench.

Interesting that you and I saw things somewhat differently in first half. This is first time I have seen them play this year. Thinking back, even though opening goal came from SU’s left, I believe the original action came down the right ss did the action that lef to the corner. I did not notice tgat we were attacking one flank over the other so kudos to you for seeing that. I missed it.

Is Arber hurt?

Great observations by all.

I thought SU played more down the right side the first half, even though the first goal came on a ball in from the left, and played more down the left side in the second half.

Suski did not press as much as Kaloukian, but K is a beast in the press. Agree different players but a good change of pace.

Post-game coach mentioned getting Rauch on. He also mentioned some guys have a few knocks, maybe Rauch is one of them.

Great observations.

Wish I had known u were there. We sat behind SU bench.

Interesting that you and I saw things somewhat differently in first half. This is first time I have seen them play this year. Thinking back, even though opening goal came from SU’s left, I believe the original action came down the right ss did the action that lef to the corner. I did not notice tgat we were attacking one flank over the other so kudos to you for seeing that. I missed it.

Is Arber hurt?
Thanks, always enjoy reading what you saw/think. Sorry we missed
each other.

I assume Arber is banged up. Wish now I sat behind the SU bench so I could have checked out all the players for well being...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom