SU #25 in final coaches poll

rrlbees

2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
Staff member
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
86,517
Like
139,969
People can have it both ways when the HC has it both ways.

Spacing has been said ad nausem when certain guards had to play.
Defense doesn’t matter for them but playing Sidibe over one of the forward.
Sidibe helps the defense 100% and hurts our offense and spacing by playing.
One of Marek/Quincy/Alan has to
Sit.

what do the guards have to do with my post in response to Sidibe? And what you said about Sidibe and the forwards is the same as Jesse and the forwards. We’re you on them saying Jesse had to play more?
 

CuseFaninVT

Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner Hoops Leading RPG
Joined
Feb 27, 2012
Messages
33,564
Like
56,722
but that was part of my point. People wanted Jesse on the court and obviously some if not a lot of the time was going to be with marek. So your points above stand with Jesse too. And we saw how much people wanted Jesse out there.
True. And that was after we realized that JB didn't always feel the need to keep offensively limited Marek out there at the same time, all the time. I think Jesse will eventually be a better and more consistent scorer than Sid was or will be. But that's just a guess.
 

Alsacs

Internet Man, Internet Hero or Internet Scout!!
Joined
Aug 28, 2011
Messages
58,584
Like
78,610
what do the guards have to do with my post in response to Sidibe? And what you said about Sidibe and the forwards is the same as Jesse and the forwards. We’re you on them saying Jesse had to play more?
Guards matter because the defense up top matters just as much as the middle.

The top of the zone was poor defensively when we played a certain backcourt.
Neither could sit because of spacing. If we played Sidibe it would hurt spacing as well.

Can’t have it both ways.
I want Edwards playing but it would hurt the offensive spacing and he wasn’t ready is what we heard.
 

MikeSU02

All American
Joined
Aug 15, 2011
Messages
6,970
Like
15,122
Sid is turning into Bill Brasky, love it.

Just be happy we had the tourney run. The ranking in a nice bookend to the season.

The biggest change in our favor for wins without considering a rotation change would be:
> AG staying focused in games.
> Q not getting injured
 

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Messages
5,767
Like
8,822
This is such a false narrative. He wasn't a force. He was improving nicely.

Last game of the year against UNC - 35 minutes, 12 points, 13 boards, 4 fouls (excellent game all around)
Second last game of the year against Miami - 26 minutes, 2 points, 10 boards, 5 fouls (5 o-boards and only 3 shot attempts)
3rd last game, - ah heck with this here are the stats - Excellent rebounding to finish the year. But his offense was inconsistent. Definitely not a force.

View attachment 199515
9 straight games with 4+ fouls in 27 mins or less is a pretty impressive streak! Definitely started pounding the boards against GT and then never stopped. Likely started to increase his aggressiveness as well as 3 of his top 4 FTA games are in that stretch too. If he comes back as the late Feb/March guy we are in business. If he's the guy from before that then hopefully Jesse busts his ass this Summer and is ready to take the job.
 

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Messages
5,767
Like
8,822
Sid is turning into Bill Brasky, love it.

Just be happy we had the tourney run. The ranking in a nice bookend to the season.

The biggest change in our favor for wins without considering a rotation change would be:
> AG staying focused in games.
> Q not getting injured
Does anyone remember a player ever before with the ceiling and floor of AG? There were multiple ACC games where without question he was the best player on the floor. Then an equal or greater amount of games where he was the worst. Don't think I've ever seen anything like it. It's one thing for a shooter to have a real bad shooting night, but it was like his brain turned off for entire games.
 

rrlbees

2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
Staff member
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
86,517
Like
139,969
Guards matter because the defense up top matters just as much as the middle.

The top of the zone was poor defensively when we played a certain backcourt.
Neither could sit because of spacing. If we played Sidibe it would hurt spacing as well.

Can’t have it both ways.
I want Edwards playing but it would hurt the offensive spacing and he wasn’t ready is what we heard.

you’re trying to change your narrative now. Jesse good. Sidibe bad. That’s trying to have it both ways since either changes who else is on the court. How many times did you or others argue we needed Jesse on the court because we needed a “real” center out there? Well having a real center out there takes one of the forwards out.
 

CuseFaninVT

Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner Hoops Leading RPG
Joined
Feb 27, 2012
Messages
33,564
Like
56,722
Does anyone ever remember a player ever before as capable as the ceiling and floor of AG? There were multiple ACC games where without question he was the best player on the floor. Then an equal or greater amount of games where he was the worst. Don't think I've ever seen anything like it. It's one thing for a shooter to have a real bad shooting night, but it was like his brain turned off for entire games.
Nope. You're dead on with this one. I've seen guys have bad shooting nights but turn it up on the other end. There were games where you could tell he just wasn't there at all. Makes you think of all the possibilities that could have been distracting him. The pandemic affected so many of us in different ways, I wonder if it was related at all.
 

All4SU

Living Legend
Joined
Aug 26, 2011
Messages
10,859
Like
13,240
Everyone else besides SU fans view the final poll as how teams are ranked that week. We seem to always diminish our own success. Come tournament time, I do not believe there were 24 teams better than SU. Perhaps 15. I would buy that.
 

MikeSU02

All American
Joined
Aug 15, 2011
Messages
6,970
Like
15,122
Does anyone remember a player ever before with the ceiling and floor of AG? There were multiple ACC games where without question he was the best player on the floor. Then an equal or greater amount of games where he was the worst. Don't think I've ever seen anything like it. It's one thing for a shooter to have a real bad shooting night, but it was like his brain turned off for entire games.

He's essentially the college version of JR Smith.
 

rrlbees

2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
Staff member
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
86,517
Like
139,969
Sid is turning into Bill Brasky, love it.

Just be happy we had the tourney run. The ranking in a nice bookend to the season.

The biggest change in our favor for wins without considering a rotation change would be:
> AG staying focused in games.
> Q not getting injured

no, Sid isn’t turning into anyone. Just that our best center would have had an impact. And people who screamed for Jesse now say Sidibe would not have have had an impact. Ok.
 

Alsacs

Internet Man, Internet Hero or Internet Scout!!
Joined
Aug 28, 2011
Messages
58,584
Like
78,610
you’re trying to change your narrative now. Jesse good. Sidibe bad. That’s trying to have it both ways since either changes who else is on the court. How many times did you or others argue we needed Jesse on the court because we needed a “real” center out there? Well having a real center out there takes one of the forwards out.
I actually predicted verbatim this what you say. So well done.

No it’s not.
I asked Jim Boeheim the direct question and he said we couldn’t play Jesse because he wasn’t ready and it would hurt the offense/spacing by having to take out one of Marek/Alan/Quincy.
JB was said he was sacrificing defense for the offense.

Thus Sidibe playing would have helped the defense and hurt the offense.
Which goes to show his injury hurt the defense but if he played would have hurt the offense.
 

rrlbees

2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
Staff member
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
86,517
Like
139,969
I actually predicted verbatim this what you say. So well done.

No it’s not.
I asked Jim Boeheim the direct question and he said we couldn’t play Jesse because he wasn’t ready and it would hurt the offense/spacing by having to take out one of Marek/Alan/Quincy.
JB was said he was sacrificing defense for the offense.

Thus Sidibe playing would have helped the defense and hurt the offense.
Which goes to show his injury hurt the defense but if he played would have hurt the offense.

i actually predicted this is what you’d say. Lol. Structurally Sidibe and Jesse have the same impact. After a 1/2 season hearing you scream about Jesse needing to be on the court, you want to minimize Sidibe. Weird.
 

Alsacs

Internet Man, Internet Hero or Internet Scout!!
Joined
Aug 28, 2011
Messages
58,584
Like
78,610
Sure Sidibe may have helped last year, but Jesse showed more upside than Sidibe did at the end of last season and should be the guy going forward.
This isn’t even a question.
We literally got back into the Houston game because of Edwards.
Sidibe is a good rotation player and I am glad he wants to comeback. Edwards defense bothered those teams.

Edwards in the Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Houston games was a presence.

He should have played more after the Miami game. JB said he was sacrificing defense to play Marek/Alan/Quincy so arguing that Sidibe’s presence makes us this great team this year is saying JB would have sacrificed offense for his defense and how did we win games? For the most part it was by our offense making shots.
 

Alsacs

Internet Man, Internet Hero or Internet Scout!!
Joined
Aug 28, 2011
Messages
58,584
Like
78,610
i actually predicted this is what you’d say. Lol. Structurally Sidibe and Jesse have the same impact. After a 1/2 season hearing you scream about Jesse needing to be on the court, you want to minimize Sidibe. Weird.
I don’t want to minimize Sidibe I just don’t think he makes us a top 10 team which is the crux that started this debate and it wasn’t by you.

Sidibe helps the team. I just don’t think he makes us a top 25 team or off the bubble. That is my overarching point.
His presence makes us a game or two at most better.
 

Sgt Cuse

All Conference
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Messages
2,057
Like
1,815
This isn’t even a question.
We literally got back into the Houston game because of Edwards.
Sidibe is a good rotation player and I am glad he wants to comeback. Edwards defense bothered those teams.

Edwards in the Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Houston games was a presence.

He should have played more after the Miami game. JB said he was sacrificing defense to play Marek/Alan/Quincy so arguing that Sidibe’s presence makes us this great team this year is saying JB would have sacrificed offense for his defense and how did we win games? For the most part it was by our offense making shots.
It may not be a question, but I don't think you're going to like the answer. Sid is the presumptive starting center for next year. The idea of starting someone with potential over the better 5th year senior, who is coming back from rehab to help the team, is insane. Reeks of an igorish setup of irrational, pre-emptive criticism to JB's starting lineup.

Secondly, the idea that if Sid was healthy last year the team wouldn't have been better is patently ridiculous.

There seems to be an increased undertow of anger that is fueling ridiculous statements - "Seton Hall is on the same level as SU", "Sid wouldn't have helped last year", "no question Jesse is...", etc. What is going on? Looks like JB coaching fatigue has now got 2 more, as Alsacs and DW have now entered the dark side of criticism first, rational thought second.
 

syrBossHogg

All American
Joined
Mar 1, 2018
Messages
6,341
Like
12,547
With Sidibe we prolly win a couple more games against Pitt/Rutgers/maybe GT, but that's not even close to being a top 10 team. We'd prolly end up being an 8/9 seed and maybe don't even make the Sweet 16.
 

Ryand877

All Conference
Joined
Jan 27, 2012
Messages
2,611
Like
3,141
It may not be a question, but I don't think you're going to like the answer. Sid is the presumptive starting center for next year. The idea of starting someone with potential over the better 5th year senior, who is coming back from rehab to help the team, is insane. Reeks of an igorish setup of irrational, pre-emptive criticism to JB's starting lineup.

Secondly, the idea that if Sid was healthy last year the team wouldn't have been better is patently ridiculous.

There seems to be an increased undertow of anger that is fueling ridiculous statements - "Seton Hall is on the same level as SU", "Sid wouldn't have helped last year", "no question Jesse is...", etc. What is going on? Looks like JB coaching fatigue has now got 2 more, as Alsacs and DW have now entered the dark side of criticism first, rational thought second.
Sidibe's health may dictate a lot of this. I don't see where anyone said Sid wouldn't have helped us this year.
 

Alsacs

Internet Man, Internet Hero or Internet Scout!!
Joined
Aug 28, 2011
Messages
58,584
Like
78,610
It may not be a question, but I don't think you're going to like the answer. Sid is the presumptive starting center for next year. The idea of starting someone with potential over the better 5th year senior, who is coming back from rehab to help the team, is insane. Reeks of an igorish setup of irrational, pre-emptive criticism to JB's starting lineup.

Secondly, the idea that if Sid was healthy last year the team wouldn't have been better is patently ridiculous.

There seems to be an increased undertow of anger that is fueling ridiculous statements - "Seton Hall is on the same level as SU", "Sid wouldn't have helped last year", "no question Jesse is...", etc. What is going on? Looks like JB coaching fatigue has now got 2 more, as Alsacs and DW have now entered the dark side of criticism first, rational thought second.
You aren’t getting the point of the seton Hall discussion.
It’s not that they are on our level.
It’s that we have fallen from being elite to being medicore in the regular season.
Our last 5 years we have the same amount of wins.
Our postseason success is why.
Our fanbase wants to thumb its nose down at Seton Hall.
Which is fine because we are a better program historically.
If fans accept that the expectations aren’t old Syracuse then thumbing their noses at Seton Hall is for historical purposes.

I am not criticism first nor is DW. I won’t speak for him.
I accept we aren’t a national power anymore because this fanbase isn’t that upset the regular seasons are all bubble the last 7 years.

Old Syracuse was challenging for conference titles and top 4 NCAA tournament seeds.
Our fanbase acts like we are still old Syracuse we aren’t.
If they accept that then the frustration will go down.
 

GoSU96

Living Legend
Joined
Aug 17, 2011
Messages
15,288
Like
21,950
As much as a digression into the relative importance and quality of the centers it’s still notable that the usual suspects have yet to acknowledge this positive recognition.

wonder why?
 

Sgt Cuse

All Conference
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Messages
2,057
Like
1,815
You aren’t getting the point of the seton Hall discussion.
It’s not that they are on our level.
It’s that we have fallen from being elite to being medicore in the regular season.
Our last 5 years we have the same amount of wins.
Our postseason success is why.
Our fanbase wants to thumb its nose down at Seton Hall.
Which is fine because we are a better program historically.
If fans accept that the expectations aren’t old Syracuse then thumbing their noses at Seton Hall is for historical purposes.

I am not criticism first nor is DW. I won’t speak for him.
I accept we aren’t a national power anymore because this fanbase isn’t that upset the regular seasons are all bubble the last 7 years.

Old Syracuse was challenging for conference titles and top 4 NCAA tournament seeds.
Our fanbase acts like we are still old Syracuse we aren’t.
If they accept that then the frustration will go down.
I don't think you are getting the point. Lets review. People were dismayed at KR choosing Seton Hall. The shock was because Seton Hall is a clear step down from SU.

It seemed like some posters were unable to accept the tier of program that was taking KR because it ran counter to their thoughts on how valuable and good KR is/was. Then the nonsense about Seton Hall being on par with SU started.

The Old SU vs New SU, is all your own talk. Seems like you need to adjust your expectations.
 

Alsacs

Internet Man, Internet Hero or Internet Scout!!
Joined
Aug 28, 2011
Messages
58,584
Like
78,610
I don't think you are getting the point. Lets review. People were dismayed at KR choosing Seton Hall. The shock was because Seton Hall is a clear step down from SU.

It seemed like some posters were unable to accept the tier of program that was taking KR because it ran counter to their thoughts on how valuable and good KR is/was. Then the nonsense about Seton Hall being on par with SU started.

The Old SU vs New SU, is all your own talk. Seems like you need to adjust your expectations.
People were thumbing their nose KR chose Seton Hall.
That ignores the fact recently they have been solid.
He didn’t chose DePaul.
Thus the food fight.

I said I will adjust my expectations when the fanbase accepts the criticism is holding the program to the old standards.
 

Online statistics

Members online
242
Guests online
1,060
Total visitors
1,302

Top Bottom