SU #6 program | Syracusefan.com

SU #6 program

SBU72

All Conference
I haven't seen referrence to this so ...yesterday Cowherd had a his list of the top 15 b-ball programs. He took into account 1) consistent dominence of it's conference 2) advancement in the NCAA 3) ability to be the "sexy" program that top recruits want to go to. Having his criteria and how he often puts SU down, I was expecting the worse but surprise he had SU as his #6 behhind Duke (who else) Kansas, Kentucky, UConn, ? not sure who. Louisville was also in the top 10. I was cruising along ok with this but then he got into a discussin about where to put UCLA and more or less insisted they belong in the top 15 and at one point even top 10. UCLA? Are they relevant any more? How do you all feel about that. #6, pretty damn good.

I bring this up because of people who are discussing about JB stepping down. The current team has spent most of the season top 10 and was #1 for a game. I find it very hard to believe that they will drop out of top 25 by seasons end. And this team has serious flaws as repeatedly pointed out by some. I see no worse than a 4 seed and a good shot to get to the Sweet 16. And people are bit**ing about that. I really can't see any other coach doing much better with the guys on the roster and the problems they have had.

His list was

1. Duke
2. Kansas
3. Kentucky
4. North Carolina
5. UCONN
6. Syracuse
7. Michigan State
8. Lville
9. Florida
10. Ohio State
11. UCLA
12. Butler

No Indiana?

He had a list of 15 I think. I forget where he put Indiana, but it wasent in the top 12. I was shocked that he didnt have them higher

UCLA reached three consecutive final 4's just 5 years ago. They have also had some good recruiting classes since then that just crashed. A really good freshman class this year. The fanbase is poor, but they still maintain strong recruiting power.

So I absolutely think they are relevant (top 10). is a total headscratcher at #4. Have they been relevant and successful the last 15 years? Absolutely. But shouldn't this list have more of a forward looking basis to it. And for there is nothing positive to look forward to in the future. You can't be relevant if your only equipped to live in the past.

UConn is somewhere in the 40-60 range in terms of program relevancy.

UCLA reached three consecutive final 4's just 5 years ago. They have also had some good recruiting classes since then that just crashed. A really good freshman class this year. The fanbase is poor, but they still maintain strong recruiting power.

So I absolutely think they are relevant (top 10). is a total headscratcher at #4. Have they been relevant and successful the last 15 years? Absolutely. But shouldn't this list have more of a forward looking basis to it. And for there is nothing positive to look forward to in the future. You can't be relevant if your only equipped to live in the past.

his thing for is the 3 titles, and any time they have been to the final 4 they have won. Even tho the butler game shouldnt count because my dogs could have beat that butler team

His list was

1. Duke
2. Kansas
3. Kentucky
4. North Carolina
5. UCONN
6. Syracuse
7. Michigan State
8. Lville
9. Florida
10. Ohio State
11. UCLA
12. Butler
Thanks. Did it from (poor) memory!

his thing for is the 3 titles, and any time they have been to the final 4 they have won. Even tho the butler game shouldnt count because my dogs could have beat that butler team

Makes no difference on the program's relevancy today and going forward.

I guess it just depends on how much you want this measure to "look back" vs the now and going forward. They have been an absolute monster for a sustained period (since 1993), but it not only will end -- it has already ended.

UCLA has been to 3 FFs since our last one. They just got two top 10 recruits this season, one from the east coast that SU wanted. I think they are relevant. Also think Ben H is a great coach - not sure why he has stumbled lately.

And for there is nothing positive to look forward to in the future. You can't be relevant if your only equipped to live in the past.

I think the fact we have the same number NC as SU has sweet 16 wins in the last 20 years must be making him biased. And the number of guys in the NBA.

You might want to wait until you bury UCONN. Right now, Ollie and JB have the same number of BE losses and I think most people on this board thought SU was clearly better than UCONN back in November.

If Ollie is the real deal, UCONN isn't going anywhere. The number 1 team isn't from a power conference.

Remember these are his argurements not necessarily mine. I think his arguement was that was the only time they progressed far in the past 10 years. (something like that) plus except last year their recruiting has fallen off. Also the PAC 10 is almost becoming irrelevant saying their #2 team last year couldn't even get in the tourny, so what does it matter if you dominate a nobody conference. He had Gonzaga in also but I think they ended up out because their conference is not relevant.

I think the fact we have the same number NC as SU has sweet 16 wins in the last 20 years must be making him biased. And the number of guys in the NBA.

You might want to wait until you bury UCONN. Right now, Ollie and JB have the same number of BE losses and I think most people on this board thought SU was clearly better than UCONN back in November.

If Ollie is the real deal, UCONN isn't going anywhere. The number 1 team isn't from a power conference.

Living in the past.

Really? I thought the comments about this season were relevant.

Really? You have missed the tournament twice in the last 4 years, and your team last year was the biggest underachieving joke in the country. You then got whacked in the first round. You made one lucky run as a 3 seed to the title.

So we have a program who has been a 1 seed, 3 seed, 1 seed, and a 3-5 seed the past 4 years, vs a program who has missed the tourney, 3 seed, 9 seed, missed the tourney the past 4 years.

A school that is 54-15 in conference the past 4 years vs a school that is 30-31 in conference the past 4 years.

Sure UConn fans can say have "fun" with Georgia Tech and Wake Forest. Well have fun with Tulane, East Carolina and SMU.

A school that is playing in a power conference vs a school that is not.

A school that has a great recruiting class next year (and the year after) vs one that has and will not.

A school that has a large fanbase vs a school with an average and declining fanbase.

But hey, in your mind if having the same 5 losses this year, is the only measure that is relevant in assessing recent success and future success, have at it hoss. It will put you in the same class of moron as your fellow UConn brethren,

Makes no difference on the program's relevancy today and going forward.

I guess it just depends on how much you want this measure to "look back" vs the now and going forward. They have been an absolute monster for a sustained period (since 1993), but it not only will end -- it has already ended.
it is far too soon to bury UConn

even if they are forced to stay in the glorified CUSA, there is no reason that they cannot continue to be a dominant program there . . . I don't think they will reach the heights that Calhoun took them, but you can fall well short of that bar and still be plenty good. A conference with UConn, Memphis, Cincy and Temple at the top should be good to very good most years, and there is no reason to think you can't build a program equal to or better than Butler or Xavier out of it

Really? You have missed the tournament twice in the last 4 years, and your team last year was the biggest underachieving joke in the country. You then got whacked in the first round. You made one lucky run as a 3 seed to the title.

So we have a program who has been a 1 seed, 3 seed, 1 seed, and a 3-5 seed the past 4 years, vs a program who has missed the tourney, 3 seed, 9 seed, missed the tourney the past 4 years.

A school that is 54-15 in conference the past 4 years vs a school that is 30-31 in conference the past 4 years.

Sure UConn fans can say have "fun" with Georgia Tech and Wake Forest. Well have fun with Tulane, East Carolina and SMU.

A school that is playing in a power conference vs a school that is not.

A school that has a great recruiting class next year (and the year after) vs one that has and will not.

But hey, in your mind if having the same 5 losses this year, is the only measure that is relevant in assessing recent success and future success, have at it hoss. It will put you in the same class of moron as your fellow UConn brethren,

You are right. SU has had more success than UCONN over the last four years.

In almost every category.

Except National Championships. And BET Championships. Which is nice.

That Butler game set the sport back 75 years. Congrats. Sadly even Butler will be in a better conference than you next year.

#begharder

So your saying that is the best indicator of where your program is at and going forward?

As I said to your initial post. Living in the past - focusing on a 6 game run, that has no relevance now or going forward.. You just proved my point.

So your saying that is the best indicator of where your program is at and going forward?

As I said to your initial post. Living in the past - focusing on a 6 game run, that has no relevance now or going forward.. You just proved my point.

So, we can't use 3 years ago. And we can't use the current season when it seems Ollie is doing a great job coaching and recruiting.

All we can use is the hard proof of your future predictions.

No Indiana?

they haven't been really relevant for like 20 years.

if we are talking historical programs (which i assume you are thinking), no way ucla wouldn't be in the top 3.

So, we can't use 3 years ago. And we can't use the current season when it seems Ollie is doing a great job coaching and recruiting.

All we can use is the hard proof of your future predictions.

You want to use 3 years ago? Fine you missed the tournament with a 7-11 record. You want add 2009... OK.

I gave you hard proof. But here it is again, and I will even add 2009 for you.

65-22 vs 45-34.

3, 1,3,1, 3-5 seed
1, DNQ, 3, 9, DNQ

But sure my only fact is the future.

I gotta say, I agree with those who think we're burying UConn too early here. I know it's UConn and and all that, but I don't think they're going to go away

U
I gotta say, I agree with those who think we're burying UConn too early here. I know it's UConn and and all that, but I don't think they're going to go away

I know. People complaining about them in the that Top 5 or 10 list are crazy. Titles, stud players, major dominance, and we also missed the Tournament twice within the past 10 yrs.