SU #6 program | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU #6 program

I gotta say, I agree with those who think we're burying UConn too early here. I know it's UConn and and all that, but I don't think they're going to go away

Let's remember the initial premise - UConn #4 isn't holding going forward. They may not be totally going away. But they are not staying at it either, a nowhere close.

I am not disputing that they may be top 4 in the modern era -- i.e Last 20 years. I think the only program clearly above them in that regard is Duke.

Let's remember the initial premise - UConn #4. It doesn't hold going forward. They will be going away from that level.

They may not be going away. But they are not staying at 4 either, and nowhere close.

Yeah, I wasn't referring as much to the Cowherd ranking as much as the general perception around here that the UConn program is about to fall into the abyss.

bottom line, every syracuse fan would trade our last 4 years for uconn's last 4 years. their 1 title destroys anything else we've done.

Let's remember the initial premise - UConn #4. It doesn't hold going forward. They will be going away from that level.

They may not be going away. But they are not staying at 4 either, and nowhere close.
and how sure are you that SU will stay where we are? We are moving to a conference with 3 of the top 10 teams (Duke, UNC, and Louisville) plus a Pitt program that has our number. It's not unreasonable to think that UConn will win 14 to 17 conference games a year for the next 5, while Syracuse wins 10 to 12. The NCAA seeds would likely be distributed accordingly, meaning the Huskies have the easier path to deeper post season runs as well.

Trust me, I am much happier to be in the ACC than in the Big Limbo, but it's no guarantee that we are on an upward trajectory and they on a downward one.

bottom line, every syracuse fan would trade our last 4 years for uconn's last 4 years. their 1 title destroys anything else we've done.

I would trade it too. Absolutely.

But its not the best indicator of where the programs are currently at or how they are positioned moving forward.

Yeah, I wasn't referring as much to the Cowherd ranking as much as the general perception around here that the UConn program is about to fall into the abyss.

It comes down to Ollie.

If he is the real deal, he will get recruits and he will win.

Right now, I'm feeling pretty good about him.

and how sure are you that SU will stay where we are? We are moving to a conference with 3 of the top 10 teams (Duke, UNC, and Louisville) plus a Pitt program that has our number. It's not unreasonable to think that UConn will win 14 to 17 conference games a year for the next 5, while Syracuse wins 10 to 12. The NCAA seeds would likel be distributed accordingly, meaning the Huskies have the easier path to deeper post season runs as well.

Trust me, I am much happier to be in the ACC than in the Big Limbo, but it's no guarantee that we are on an upward trajectory and they on a downward one.

There is no guarantee. Should we just call it a 348 way tie for first then? Put Syracuse, UConn, New Jersey Institute of Technology, and Houston Baptist in the same class in terms of expected future success?

And since when have seeds been heavily based on total wins? It is always adjusted for schedule difficulty. Hell we had a team that went 9-9, and got a 3 seed 3 years ago, based on strength of schedule.

There is no guarantee. Should we just call it a 348 way tie for first then? Put Syracuse, UConn, New Jersey Institute of Technology, and Houston Baptist in the same class in terms of expected future success?

And since when have seeds been heavily based on total wins? It is always adjusted for schedule difficulty. Hell we had a team that went 9-9, and got a 3 seed 3 years ago, based on strength of schedule.
what on earth are you talking about? the last time SU went 9-9 in conference play, it went to the NIT

are you talking about the Flynn/Devo team that got a 3 seed with an 11-7 record? that was 4 years ago

as for UConn, think back to the Memphis squads that earned 1 or 2 seeds for four or five years in a row despite playing in a very weak CUSA after the exodus to the BE.

I gotta say, I agree with those who think we're burying UConn too early here. I know it's UConn and and all that, but I don't think they're going to go away

It also ignores the fact that we will be facing very much the same problem they currently have in trying to replace a once in a lifetime coach.

6 is a bit high for us. Not enough deep runs in the tourney. I would put us closer to 10. And anybody who has us ahead of Uconn clearly has the Orange shades in full effect. I was in the camp until title #3, but now its not even arguable.

That said, I think we are in a much, much better position than Uconn going forward (MUCH better support and better conference affiliation). I think some people are shoveling dirt on them a bit prematurely, but I also wouldn't consider them nearly the threat they have been unless they end up in the ACC (which is entirely possible in the next few years). If not, I see them being very Villanova-ish.