SU 62 vs Virginia Tech 75: Sun Jan 28, 12 PM | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

SU 62 vs Virginia Tech 75: Sun Jan 28, 12 PM

Way too many times our players are getting hard fouls with no calls by the refs. We were fortunate to have no serious injuries!
It was similar to the men's NC State game in that respect. Good learning lesson, bc that is how you get to the final 4, apparently.

Little surprise by a few comments here after this game. Like every fan I want my team to win every game but that doesn't happen. First this team was picked to finish 9th at the start of the season, my initial thought then was we should be higher than year before may 7th as I was not sold on Miami or Duke.

Love our team but think we may be overachieving a bit. For those that think we are top 10, you must not be watching enough games outside of SU. I can think of at least 8 schools that on paper if that we played them 10 times, we would struggle to win 1 or more against each. But since paper doesn't count and David does beat Goliath, we play the games. If we won yesterday I could see max rank of 15 on writers poll. They give to much credit to pedigree schools like UConn and ND ranked ahead of us.

That we are 17-3 is amazing. That we only had 1 loss in non-conference and only 2 so far in ACC is fantastic. I expected a loss to NC and a split with ND and we came away we a sweep of ND. Thought a loss to VT, split with LVille, loss NCState and a bad loss to someone we should beat like Duke or Va. So I would have predict 6-7 ACC losses at the start of the season.

As for the game yesterday, we managed to distrupt Kitterly who had a bad day shooting but she did have 9 boards to have a impact. We lost the rebounding battle yesterday. We had no answer or defensive stopper to guard Amoore.

Would be great to see some off ball screen picks and guards not just try to use dribble/drive screen. Fair does get to off to some slow starts going scoreless in the 1st qtr like yesterday but her numbers are slightly better than last year so can't fault her play. Biggest take away from yesterday as it was the 4th game that Latham has not been a factor at all. 16 pts 13 bds total for the 4 games. Woolley already has 62 TO this year compare to 71 total last year.

Not getting NYS players reruited to SU, can we say Breanna Stewart. The player out of Hamburg was on FLJ and Coaches radar but they were at Buffalo then. FLJ became our Coach end of Mar 2022 and was scrambling to get a coaching staff and seeing what she had here, trying to put a team together. Hamburg player committed to the VTech July 2022. We still didn't have a full squad yet for 2022-23 season. She got Latham a month or so later, and happy we got her.

Wooley has been a hard watch this season, her shots off (hand injury) but her defense in a set defense has been horrendous whether its her losing her opponent, leaving them wide open. Or just letting them drive on her... Its been bad. The forced passes that have led to turnovers are also hard to watch, she's averaging almost Double the amount of turnovers then the anyone else on the team.

Being at the game yesterday, Latham just looked frazzled and rushed. She's a great player, if she just plays calm and confident she's elite... That was a hard matchup for her, Kitley and those Forwards where in constant movement so staying focused had to be hard as a True Fresh.

Little surprise by a few comments here after this game. Like every fan I want my team to win every game but that doesn't happen. First this team was picked to finish 9th at the start of the season, my initial thought then was we should be higher than year before may 7th as I was not sold on Miami or Duke.

Love our team but think we may be overachieving a bit. For those that think we are top 10, you must not be watching enough games outside of SU. I can think of at least 8 schools that on paper if that we played them 10 times, we would struggle to win 1 or more against each. But since paper doesn't count and David does beat Goliath, we play the games. If we won yesterday I could see max rank of 15 on writers poll. They give to much credit to pedigree schools like UConn and ND ranked ahead of us.

That we are 17-3 is amazing. That we only had 1 loss in non-conference and only 2 so far in ACC is fantastic. I expected a loss to NC and a split with ND and we came away we a sweep of ND. Thought a loss to VT, split with LVille, loss NCState and a bad loss to someone we should beat like Duke or Va. So I would have predict 6-7 ACC losses at the start of the season.

As for the game yesterday, we managed to distrupt Kitterly who had a bad day shooting but she did have 9 boards to have a impact. We lost the rebounding battle yesterday. We had no answer or defensive stopper to guard Amoore.

Would be great to see some off ball screen picks and guards not just try to use dribble/drive screen. Fair does get to off to some slow starts going scoreless in the 1st qtr like yesterday but her numbers are slightly better than last year so can't fault her play. Biggest take away from yesterday as it was the 4th game that Latham has not been a factor at all. 16 pts 13 bds total for the 4 games. Woolley already has 62 TO this year compare to 71 total last year.

Not getting NYS players reruited to SU, can we say Breanna Stewart. The player out of Hamburg was on FLJ and Coaches radar but they were at Buffalo then. FLJ became our Coach end of Mar 2022 and was scrambling to get a coaching staff and seeing what she had here, trying to put a team together. Hamburg player committed to the VTech July 2022. We still didn't have a full squad yet for 2022-23 season. She got Latham a month or so later, and happy we got her.
I would argue that you aren't seeing this team for what they are...which is very good. You can say we are overachieving but you are basing that on what so called, self proclaimed " experts" decided we were at the start of the season. What we have is a head coach and staff that is getting these terrific young ladies to play to their potential. I am delighted at what these kids have achieved so far and believe they can move forward this year and finish with something special. I've been to every game but one this year and you're not going to tell me that they shouldn't be winning these games that they have. That is selling them short.

I would argue that you aren't seeing this team for what they are...which is very good. You can say we are overachieving but you are basing that on what so called, self proclaimed " experts" decided we were at the start of the season. What we have is a head coach and staff that is getting these terrific young ladies to play to their potential. I am delighted at what these kids have achieved so far and believe they can move forward this year and finish with something special. I've been to every game but one this year and you're not going to tell me that they shouldn't be winning these games that they have. That is selling them short.
I not at all selling them short or basing on so call experts. So you don't need to agree with my accessments. I don't think saying overachieving is insult to team's performance I never said they shouldn't win games that have as their play has shown a warrior's heart like their coach. You always hope your team improves each year but I would not say I expected them at the very top.
my opinion is what I saw at the start of the season and looking at the entire league. I also consider NCstate as a team playing better than expect and Duke while having winning record under Lawson's tenure, her teams have under perform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom