SU a favorite of Sczepniak | Syracusefan.com

SU a favorite of Sczepniak

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
According to Rivals

Catch him in action: Seton Catholic plays @ Bainbridge-Guilford at 7pm on Friday for the first round of the Section 4 Class D playoffs

I don't think a lot of people will go watch a high school game over SU VS WV.. Just don't see it happening

I don't think a lot of people will go watch a high school game over SU VS WV.. Just don't see it happening
Yeah, I know, just throwing what info I have out there, that's all.

Not for nothing but Rosie Bouie went to a class d school. Different sport though.

Not for nothing but Rosie Bouie went to a class d school. Different sport though.
Go Kendall! I was thinking the other day, how different our present might be if Rosie had chosen the Bonnies over SU back in the day. He was down to SU and St. Bona and the scuttlebutt was that if JB hadn't been made HC, he would have headed to Olean. Shudder

Yeah, I was going to Brockport at time and he and his cousin Nate were pretty unstoppable. The run to the Final Four in '75 probably sealed the deal because it gave Danforth the national exposure he needed to head to Tulane and opened the door for JB.

According to Rivals

Catch him in action: Seton Catholic plays @ Bainbridge-Guilford at 7pm on Friday for the first round of the Section 4 Class D playoffs
Good to see we are up there right now. Something tells me he will be getting one of those patented 12 am visits by ND though.

Good to see we are up there right now. Something tells me he will be getting one of those patented 12 am visits by ND though.

This kid couldn't start at Hartwick.

Seems to be a slight disparity in rating this kid's potential. I guess it's safe to say he's somewhere between a Colgate/Hartwick and a Penn State/Notre Dame caliber recruit. I guess that really narrows it down.

I'm starting to think the same things about Caleb. He isn't standing out in a league that rarely has D2 players. I don't think he's going to be the high-major prospect people were hoping for.

The league/division he plays in has seen players rated in the Rivals 150 who ended up playing D2 ball. Kids who were much more dominant at the same position who struggled for playing time at low-level D3 schools. Sometimes a kid can get hype based on "potential", i.e., raw size/measurables and a persistent person, usually Daddy, who inundates the recruiting services with film, etc.

Class D in Section 4 is some good football, has produced BE and NFL caliber players. They were without exception DOMINANT at the high school level. There are no such players at that level this year. None. This kid has had numbers of like 6/13 for 60 or 70 yards. Not quite what colleges are looking for.

I don't know this kid, don't really care, but I think I'd caution anyone about getting excited about some kid just because a recruiting site has him listed with some offers. It's an awful long haul from small school upstate football to BCS level Division 1. Or Morrisville State for that matter.

The league/division he plays in has seen players rated in the Rivals 150 who ended up playing D2 ball. Kids who were much more dominant at the same position who struggled for playing time at low-level D3 schools. Sometimes a kid can get hype based on "potential", i.e., raw size/measurables and a persistent person, usually Daddy, who inundates the recruiting services with film, etc.

Class D in Section 4 is some good football, has produced BE and NFL caliber players. They were without exception DOMINANT at the high school level. There are no such players at that level this year. None. This kid has had numbers of like 6/13 for 60 or 70 yards. Not quite what colleges are looking for.

I don't know this kid, don't really care, but I think I'd caution anyone about getting excited about some kid just because a recruiting site has him listed with some offers. It's an awful long haul from small school upstate football to BCS level Division 1. Or Morrisville State for that matter.

I wouldn't go that far, saying there have been BE or NFL caliber players. Very rarely will S4 Class D produce any of those players, plus there is a lack of true skill players at a class D level. S4 Class A or AA will give you some D1 skill guys, but the D schools just never have those guys. Maybe he's a victim of that? He should be lucky that he isn't still at Vestal, throwing twice a game. Will be interesting to see how he scores in some of the camps coming up.

According to Rivals

Mmmm wow TX HS FB still has 2 weeks to go then the playoffs. I think they play a 10 game regular season after two preseason games.

This kid will need to prove himself at the camps

I wouldn't go that far, saying there have been BE or NFL caliber players. Very rarely will S4 Class D produce any of those players, plus there is a lack of true skill players at a class D level. S4 Class A or AA will give you some D1 skill guys, but the D schools just never have those guys. Maybe he's a victim of that? He should be lucky that he isn't still at Vestal, throwing twice a game. Will be interesting to see how he scores in some of the camps coming up.

I would. Here's why- Jeff Oliver (BC/Raiders) played at D level Delhi- OK, they might have been Class C back in the old Sus league days. I am fairly certain his brother played for BC and briefly in the NFL too but could be wrong. It has been 25 or so years. ;) And Lawson from 9 man New Berlin played at HVCC and Cincinnati, back when Cincinatti was losing to the likes of Hudson Valley.

Seth Stanton from Walton played at Rutgers. (OK, maybe not quite BCS). Jared Kimmel of Harpursville played at SU. I know for a FACT that Jim Tressel personally recruited a lineman 0from the 2008 or 9 Walton team. Michigan State offered the WR from Sidney that ended up a star at Colgate. Mike Chrystie from Oxford had BCS offers, including SU as a kicker but played WR at Colgate.

Indeed, S4 Class D (or any Class C/D school in NYS) very rarely produces BE caliber players, but it has been done before

Could the numbers be a product of the league though? What I mean is if the QB is surrounded by kids who are never going to sniff a D3 football field then the numbers might reflect that.

If this kid goes to D1 camps, has legit size with a big arm and chucks the ball all over the place that is going to be what colleges are looking for. just sayin.

I remember WIll Fiachi from Marcellus was a "Penn St and ND" recruit at one point and although a good player he wound up at Albany, I am with JC here, I don't think this kid will be Syracuse material, if he is we will be the high end for him, not the lower end. Like I said, we have a guy in the office whose son played against Seton and he came away unimpressed by his potential more than anything..

Tim Green's son is the best qb I have seen this year, FWIW... Great offense as well... I wonder where they got it

Phatty O, I am sure that's a part of it. Moving from Vestal to Seton was probably a poor move in terms of level of competition, although the upper classes in the area have a fair amount of suck- Hello there, Ithaca, Horseheads and Vestal!

Another issue is that rarely do teams in this area even attempt to develop a passing offense, so the quality of blocking and receiver play is fairly low. So you have a point.

I've seen a ton of kids with all sorts of potential and good numbers pass through this region at all levels. Very few are D-2 level players, let alone BCS. I think the speculation around this kid is based on uniformed assumptions. If this kid had SCC on his back and was dominating 25 man squads, that would be one thing. The fact that he's not even the best passer in terms of completions or yardage in Section 4 Class D is more telling to me than anything else.

Watching my kid play QB on the JV's this year, first year ever playing the position and starting QB.. BUT.. I think I throw more in one back yard session with him than he does in all the practices combined.. They throw 4-5 times a game.. Talking with the coaches Im sure it is the same issue at most schools.

the coach wants to throw more. The #1 offense in practice gets no help at all working against the number #1 Defense as almost all the better players start on both sides. The best rcvrs on the team are the my kid playing QB and the starting RB so you end up throwing to your 3-4-5 best players. Blocking is also an issue.. Much easier at our small schools to get a the oline to block on running plays than to teach them how to block for 4-5 seconds on a passing play. we just dont have the size to really block well so we end up with option offenses..

I would. Here's why- Jeff Oliver (BC/Raiders) played at D level Delhi- OK, they might have been Class C back in the old Sus league days. I am fairly certain his brother played for BC and briefly in the NFL too but could be wrong. It has been 25 or so years. ;) And Lawson from 9 man New Berlin played at HVCC and Cincinnati, back when Cincinatti was losing to the likes of Hudson Valley.

Seth Stanton from Walton played at Rutgers. (OK, maybe not quite BCS). Jared Kimmel of Harpursville played at SU. I know for a FACT that Jim Tressel personally recruited a lineman 0from the 2008 or 9 Walton team. Michigan State offered the WR from Sidney that ended up a star at Colgate. Mike Chrystie from Oxford had BCS offers, including SU as a kicker but played WR at Colgate.

Indeed, S4 Class D (or any Class C/D school in NYS) very rarely produces BE caliber players, but it has been done before

You're right, I have forgotten a few, but it isn't necessarily often that these kids come about. My basic point was that it isn't a real hotbed for impactful college players. I mean, I watched Kimmel play against Walton (my alma mater) and he didn't stand out at all (other than in basketball). A few more to add to the list, Sean Kelly, an '05 Walton grad was supposedly visited by Paterno.

Another Walton grad, Kirk Fletcher, was (according to the local gossip) offered by SU his sophomore year after being named Defensive POTG in the 2003 State championship game vs. Matt Berstein (Edgemont), who went on to play FB at Wisconsin. Fletcher didn't play his senior year - and just wanted to work on the farm. It was Kirk, the best LB in all of Section 4, vs. Mike Hart in the first round out of the section...or atleast, it would have been had Walton gotten past a Lansing team they had beaten by 40 earlier in the year. :bang:

Ultimately you're right- the kids at this level are few and far between. Walton had another stud waay back in the late 80s who made Binghamton Press all-metro, could have played anywhere, but opted to enlist in the Navy with the goal of becoming a SEAL. I remember the story in the paper.

Always good to converse with another Chenango-Delaware region small school fan.

Ultimately you're right- the kids at this level are few and far between. Walton had another stud waay back in the late 80s who made Binghamton Press all-metro, could have played anywhere, but opted to enlist in the Navy with the goal of becoming a SEAL. I remember the story in the paper.

Always good to converse with another Chenango-Delaware region small school fan.

Agreed! There's a lot of competitive football in the area. Easy to get behind these schools with great traditions and an old-school style of play most teams enact

Wonder if you're thinking of one of the Harby boys? They were a bit before my time, but my father talks about how great they were. That was about the time Walton really turned it around and became the power that it is today.