SU football star reduced to panhandling in downtown Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU football star reduced to panhandling in downtown Syracuse

A very good friend of mine who spent some time at SU co-founded the Oxford Inn. This guy and his partner have sacrificed money (income) and time running the OI for over 3 decades. The sacrifices that some people make for others is incredible and worthy of praise.

The Oxford Inn is open to all..it is not in the business to do anything more than provide a safe place to sleep and get people off the streets at night. No attempt to convert anybody to anything.

The Oxford Inn does get some funding from Catholic Charities...any help for them would be put to good use and I'm sure would be appreciated.

I'm all for SU doing whatever it can to help him. I would imagine counselling and some type of job placement once he's through a program or drug treatment. But, the idea of a mentally unstable, possible drug addicted homeless man on the sideline during the bowl game...sometimes when people have hit bottom you need to start with baby steps.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Yeah. I was thinking fast and that popped in my head. Didn't think it through

I wonder if he suffered any concussion's during his career. This was a very disturbing story. He is still so young and to see him fall that far, that fast is very sad.

Yeah, concussions jumped out at me. Even if it is drug related, drug use can often be tied to depression and depression can result from repeated blows to the head. Who knows, but I know my kids won't play football. This stuff freaks me out. Truly tragic story.

Saw on Facebook some ex-players who played with him were not happy with the article. They didn't like the tone.

Not sure I agree with that but either way, sad story and I hope he recovers.

Did anyone read Cornelius Campell's comments?
And the fact that Former players Meldrum and meisel chime in without discrediting Campbell's comments also says a lot

I am not seeing the comments.

Cornelius Campbell · Subscribe · Syracuse University

This is the man I roomed with for three critical years of my life. The truth really hurts. This man was suspended from the university 1 semester shy of finishing his BA after 9 straight he completed while trying to help rebuild a storied athletic program, called "The CUSE" .. Ironically this same semester he received a hit that was kept under wraps that caused one of his eyes to turn in and vision loss. He loss his mom to death, and fiancé to stress. 3 weeks later we were both sent home do to academic misfortune. The difference in our situations is I was able to come back and finish my last year thanks to the help of a strong family support system. Luke returned to the same city, but with nothing. This was common knowledge to the staff. If I exposed details of his home life, it would be an award in his name for making half the accomplishments he has made. Luke is the 2001 National Gatorade Player of The Year in Washington DC. Luck was a 195lbs strong safety that SU coaches deemed to be the next Donovan Darius little did they know they were getting a under nourished, poverty stricken inner city rare talent that would gain 40 lbs and move to Linebacker after his first 5 months of consistent eating and rest that he never had. I will leave it at that. Luke had no chance when sent back home in the condition he was in and everyone knew, yet it was still allowed to happen. There was an effort made by a few of his teammates to help him after he was spotted walking the wrong way down the nations Capitol inner loop, yes at one point it was that bad. We have lost contact with him since. There were rumors a couple years ago that he was homeless on Marshall st. This was to hard to believe, the same street a couple years prior we had the best time of our lives on. I guess this article confirms the rumors. If there is anyone that can reach out to this great young man, who's life goal was always starting a non- profit organization to lift up inner city youth, please do. Luke needs medical help from anyone that can lend a helping hand. This man bleeds orange just like you, spread the word. GO CUSE
Reply · 46 · Like · Follow Post · 13 hours ago

This was the time that I was going to school at Syracuse. I grew close with a lot of players when I was trying to walk-on to the team. I spent some time with Luke on several occasions through a couple of those mutual friends. This is just a heartbreaking story to say the least. Whether it was an injury, drugs, or something else; Luke has lost his way and I pray that he gets the proper help, and accepts the help.

Cornelius Campbell · Subscribe · Syracuse University

This is the man I roomed with for three critical years of my life. The truth really hurts. This man was suspended from the university 1 semester shy of finishing his BA after 9 straight he completed while trying to help rebuild a storied athletic program, called "The CUSE" .. Ironically this same semester he received a hit that was kept under wraps that caused one of his eyes to turn in and vision loss. He loss his mom to death, and fiancé to stress. 3 weeks later we were both sent home do to academic misfortune. The difference in our situations is I was able to come back and finish my last year thanks to the help of a strong family support system. Luke returned to the same city, but with nothing. This was common knowledge to the staff. If I exposed details of his home life, it would be an award in his name for making half the accomplishments he has made. Luke is the 2001 National Gatorade Player of The Year in Washington DC. Luck was a 195lbs strong safety that SU coaches deemed to be the next Donovan Darius little did they know they were getting a under nourished, poverty stricken inner city rare talent that would gain 40 lbs and move to Linebacker after his first 5 months of consistent eating and rest that he never had. I will leave it at that. Luke had no chance when sent back home in the condition he was in and everyone knew, yet it was still allowed to happen. There was an effort made by a few of his teammates to help him after he was spotted walking the wrong way down the nations Capitol inner loop, yes at one point it was that bad. We have lost contact with him since. There were rumors a couple years ago that he was homeless on Marshall st. This was to hard to believe, the same street a couple years prior we had the best time of our lives on. I guess this article confirms the rumors. If there is anyone that can reach out to this great young man, who's life goal was always starting a non- profit organization to lift up inner city youth, please do. Luke needs medical help from anyone that can lend a helping hand. This man bleeds orange just like you, spread the word. GO CUSE
Reply · 46 · Like · Follow Post · 13 hours ago

I am absolutely pissed if these comments are true. Injuries like that shouldn't be kept under wraps. What man!?I am not blaming G-Rob entirely but it was under his watch.

Sad

For three years, Louis "Luke" Cain was a star linebacker for the Syracuse University football team, but he is now a panhandler in downtown Syracuse.

Cain told CNY Central's Jim Kenyon that he has been asking for handouts from passersby on the corner of Jefferson and Warren Streets for the past year and a half. He lives at the Oxford Inn shelter for homeless men.

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=835572#.UMZJoYN9KCx

That's where my parking garage is. I see him all the time. He's one of the few homeless people who I give money to every few days. He's always polite and respectful and has a "God Bless You" for everyone, whether you give or not. It's a shame that he's fallen on such hard times, but he's a young, fit man and can turn his life around with a positive attitude.

Edit: Now that I watch the video, I realize that it's a different guy who I am thinking of. But in any event, when you are confronted with pan handlers, if the person isn't too intrusive into your space, not too confrontational and is trying to be dignified, I try to help them out with a buck or some change.

I am absolutely pissed if these comments are true. Injuries like that shouldn't be kept under wraps. What man!?I am not blaming G-Rob entirely but it was under his watch.

I blame Grob for everything...

Bad football teams...Grob
Global warming...Grob
Fab Melo...Grob
Arinze's injury...Grob
the economy sucking...Grob

Its all Grobs fault...

That's where my parking garage is. I see him all the time. He's one of the few homeless people who I give money to every few days. He's always polite and respectful and has a "God Bless You" for everyone, whether you give or not. It's a shame that he's fallen on such hard times, but he's a young, fit man and can turn his life around with a positive attitude.

Edit: Now that I watch the video, I realize that it's a different guy who I am thinking of. But in any event, when you are confronted with pan handlers, if the person isn't too intrusive into your space, not too confrontational and is trying to be dignified, I try to help them out with a buck or some change.
I only give to pan handlers if they look like they really need it, especially after living in NYC for half a year. There was one guy on my train (the A) that always had on the same clothes, no shoes, and his hair was dreadlocked because he couldn't do anything. I always gave him a dollar or change, one time I gave him half a sandwich. He actually needed it.

I think it will take a little more than a positive attitude. He needs a doctor's care by the look of the video.