SU Football Trivia Challenge of the Day | Syracusefan.com

SU Football Trivia Challenge of the Day

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
As everyone knows, Syracuse is known for being willing to play anyone in football, anyplace, any time.

Only two schools have played football in more states than the Orangemen, TCU and Temple. TCU has played in 39 and Temple in 38. SU and Kansas have played in 37. Cowardly Clemson has only played in 20 states, the least of any FCS program that has been around for at least 15 years.

Your mission, if you chose to accept it, is to name the 13 states the Syracuse football team has yet to play a game in.

Your time starts.......now.

Alaska, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, NDakota, SDakota, New Mexico,Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Delaware, Montana, Wyoming?

I think Jake got most of them but I would replace Oregon (I think we played OSU) with Colorado and replace Utah (we played BYU) with Arkansas.

I think I need to replace Utah with Rhode Island...and then Oregon with Colorado as you said.

I think Jake got most of them but I would replace Oregon (I think we played OSU) with Colorado and replace Utah (we played BYU) with Arkansas.
Well done Jake. You got 9 correct:

Alaska, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, NDakota, SDakota, New Mexico,Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Delaware, Montana, Wyoming​

72's 2 corrections were good calls. Both (Arkansas and Colorado) were right.

We have played OSU a couple of times in Oregon, the first time all the way back in 1915. We played in Montana on that same road trip, then played Occidental in LA as the third leg on a 3 week roadie by train. Must have been quite an experience in 1915.

SU had a great team that year that only lost 1 game, to Princeton, which prompted an invitation to the Rose Bowl. A second long road trip was judged too much though and Syracuse declined the offer.

SU played Dartmouth in NH a bunch of times. Played Brown in RI a bunch of times. Played Cornell and Columbia every year for a long time too...we were close to playing an Ivy League schedule back when the Ivys were still good in football.

That leaves 2 states still unaccounted for.

Nevada
Hawaii
Nevada is a winner. Hawaii...nope, we played in the Aloha Bowl while Mac was HC.

That leaves one state left.

I will provide a hint.

The 13th state is one we will surely play in before the other 12.

That was the one.

Well done Toga, 72 and Jake.

Here is a nice web site that provided the source material for the challenge:

Linkage

And let's not forget Japan.

And let's not forget Japan.
You know what I would like to see? A game against Notre Dame in Dublin. ND plays Navy there this season. It is a 'home' game for Navy.

That would be pretty special. The Catholics against the Orangemen, who would be adopted by the Protestants.

The crowd could be very fired up for the game. Might want to wear a flak jacket if you go.

The fact that I want to travel to Ireland to play golf has almost absolutely nothing to do with this suggestion.

You know what I would like to see? A game against Notre Dame in Dublin. ND plays Navy there this season. It is a 'home' game for Navy.

That would be pretty special. The Catholics against the Orangemen, who would be adopted by the Protestants.

The crowd could be very fired up for the game. Might want to wear a flak jacket if you go.

The fact that I want to travel to Ireland to play golf has almost absolutely nothing to do with this suggestion.

That's actually pretty funny. I could see that turning ugly. Even still, I'd want to go for certain.

I did alright, 11 of 13, missing Colorado and Vermont, going with Montana and Oregon, instead.

My cousins (ones a Navy grad, the other was a cheerleader at ND) are going to Ireland for that game. Should be pretty awesome, I'd love SU to do something like that. We have a big presence in Florence, maybe we can play Rutgers in a soccer stadium there. They can bring Snookie as an honorary captain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually Tom, we would want to play that game in Belfast or Londonderry (or Derry as the locals say). We would be the heavy favorites in those venues and the ND bus would be turned over by halftime.

The first time I ever went to Ireland I had my old Orangemen hat on for a total of about 15 minutes in Limerick before an old guy stopped me and asked me if I was a Yank. I said yes to which he said "I figured as much as no Irishman would ever been seen in a hat like that". Hat was stowed after that. I go back almost every year and never wear any SU gear.