SU high on ACC List | Syracusefan.com

SU high on ACC List

Madbiker

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
Saw this trolling the KU board. First time I've seen this from an ACC source:

David Glenn who owns the ACC Sports Journal and has a radio show said they he has talked with key representatives from all the ACC schools and they all characterize the prospect of Texas joining the ACC as "Extremely Unlikely". He believes the LHN is a major sticking point as the ACC is an equal share revenue league and they will also not budge same as the PAC 12.
He doesn't think the ACC will move first, but if things start to reshuffle he says the top two targets for the ACC are Syracuse and Pittsburgh. Syracuse was supposedly close to being taken the last time until Virginia got them to take V Tech instead.

Syracuse was supposedly close to being taken the last time until Virginia got them to take V Tech instead.
There's no "supposedly" about it. All due diligence was done... and then the VA governor called.

Well that's pretty freaking interesting. Can someone from ACC country chime in on how connected this guy generally is?

The ACC power brokers understand that SU is an excellent fit. Most of the hatred comes from ACC message board fan who simply cant stand SU as an institution.

The ACC power brokers understand that SU is an excellent fit. Most of the hatred comes from ACC message board fan who simply cant stand SU as an institution.

Hatred?? How so??
I'm in Carolina, the heart of ACC country, & I've never heard anything but admiration for all things SU.

Even on their message boards, the theme seems to be the "mistake" that was made in taking BC last time around, instead of Syracuse.
True enough VT's football has surpassed ours but "hatred" seems a bit harsh.

There is no hatred of SU in the ACC land they just don't want another mouth to feed if they don't have too because their ESPN TV deal calls for renegotiation with expansion. ACC message board fan doesn't hate SU as an institution personally they look down at the whole Big East as below them. You think SU as an institution really drives UNC fan or Clemson fan crazy? ACC fan just wants the status quo to remain in the conference or add Texas to get ESPN to pay them more than the undervalued 155 million per year they negotiated last year.

We've talked to the ACC constantly since the last time. We've maintained an open line of communications and are doing ll the right things.

Well that's pretty freaking interesting. Can someone from ACC country chime in on how connected this guy generally is?
Glenn is very connected. Been around the ACC for 20 years. Owns the ACC Sports Journal. I listen to his radio show every afternoon. He pulls in very heavyweight interviewees from the ACC all the time, i.e., coaches, ADs, players, conference officials. He's an attorney by schooling. Pretty level-headed.

There is no hatred of SU in the ACC land

I guess we didn't read the same boards because I saw a lot of negative things written about the city and JB and the BE.

There is nothing that doesn't make sense with Syracuse as a perfect fit, especially crossover in other sports. Now if we can only get a baseball team back.

SU, Pitt, WVa, ND

4 okay to good football teams, all have history, but obviously ND brings something else entirely

4 good to great hoops programs that bring stability

Add some juice with match ups like Pitt-WVa, VT-Wva, ND-BC, ND-FSU, ND-Miami, SU-BC

SU & ND bring lax

I know why it's not going to happen,
($$$$$$$, WVa academics, ND is a better travel fit in the BIG 10, but are there any rivals there besides Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue?)
but it would be fun.

I would MUCH rather stay put in the Big East and just have the Big East take in Missouri and Kansas etc. but the ACC is much better than being left out of everything.

And there is no way ND comes to the ACC. WVU could academically make it into the ACC, hell FreeShoeUniversity is in the ACC. Pitt is certainly plausible though. As someone who has grown up in ACC country (Richmond, VA), nobody in the ACC hates SU. Virginia Tech is probably the only one but even then, they have mostly forgotten about Syracuse. Now they have a deep hatred for WVU, though.

And there is no way ND comes to the ACC. WVU could academically make it into the ACC, hell FreeShoeUniversity is in the ACC. Pitt is certainly plausible though. As someone who has grown up in ACC country (Richmond, VA), nobody in the ACC hates SU. Virginia Tech is probably the only one but even then, they have mostly forgotten about Syracuse. Now they have a deep hatred for WVU, though.

Yeah, agree. ND is my ideal 4th team, and if they felt they had to go somewhere... ACC would be a snug fit.

Of course, never gonna happen, BIG 10 is where the money's at, but I think the fans who are just looking at match ups think ND already has rivalries with most of the B10. They don't.

RU or UConn as #4 is :noidea: for me.

Gimme UConn or L'ville over USF. The nearing end of the Calhoun era gives me pause though, not sure how well they move on, think he's a master who could have built a powerhouse anywhere.

Gimme UConn or L'ville over USF. The nearing end of the Calhoun era gives me pause though, not sure how well they move on, think he's a master who could have built a powerhouse anywhere.

The ACC guys in charge are going to make decisions based off of football, not basketball because a large majority of the revenue comes from football. Now I love college basketball as much as anybody but people don't make decisions on conferences based on basketball. If we still were stuck with that POS Greg Robinson, do you think the ACC would still be looking at us, I highly doubt it.

USF is on the upswing in football so I can see the ACC possibly trying to get them as the fourth before they reach their full potential. L'ville could happen though... I don't think they would add UCONN. Rutgers has a shot because of where they are located, that's about the only reason though because the house of cards is starting to crumble there.

I think it's almost redundant to say Syracuse is high on the ACC's list. I think they and Pitt are automatics if (read: when) the ACC expands. Really the only question is whether the Big Ten is interested in either and gets to them first. I think Pitt would be a higher target by the Big Ten if they resided even one state further to the East. Unfortunately for them, they don't. I do think Syracuse is still on the Big Ten's radar, though it might depend whether or not Texas joins the league, as the Big Ten might otherwise go largely West with Texas, Missouri and Notre Dame and only Maryland to the East.

When this is all finished, I anticipate the ACC losing Maryland, Florida St. and possibly Virginia Tech and/or Georgia Tech to the B1G and SEC. However, I think you'll also see the ACC lose 2-3 teams, but then swallow almost the entire Big East football conference up whole.

I think it's almost redundant to say Syracuse is high on the ACC's list. I think they and Pitt are automatics if (read: when) the ACC expands. Really the only question is whether the Big Ten is interested in either and gets to them first. I think Pitt would be a higher target by the Big Ten if they resided even one state further to the East. Unfortunately for them, they don't. I do think Syracuse is still on the Big Ten's radar, though it might depend whether or not Texas joins the league, as the Big Ten might otherwise go largely West with Texas, Missouri and Notre Dame and only Maryland to the East.

When this is all finished, I anticipate the ACC losing Maryland, Florida St. and possibly Virginia Tech and/or Georgia Tech to the B1G and SEC. However, I think you'll also see the ACC lose 2-3 teams, but then swallow almost the entire Big East football conference up whole.

I can understand FSU and VT, but what makes you believe that MD, as a founding member of the ACC, would leave? Money?

I can understand FSU and VT, but what makes you believe that MD, as a founding member of the ACC, would leave? Money?

That's pretty much the starting point for everything these days, yes?

In fairness, a friend of mine is a big donor in DC and he says that the CIC angle is a pretty big deal for folks in College Park. So I would amend my answer to say money and also academics. The Big Ten sees Maryland as a natural fit to develop into being a rival for Penn State, and it craves an East coast market. From everything I've heard, Maryland has been sending signals they are at very least interested.

That's pretty much the starting point for everything these days, yes?

In fairness, a friend of mine is a big donor in DC and he says that the CIC angle is a pretty big deal for folks in College Park. So I would amend my answer to say money and also academics. The Big Ten sees Maryland as a natural fit to develop into being a rival for Penn State, and it craves an East coast market. From everything I've heard, Maryland has been sending signals they are at very least interested.

Wait until Townie finds this board (if he hasn't already). He will attempt to blow your theory to pieces. Says the hoops games against Duke and UNC matter most, everything else is 2nd on Maryland's priority list.

Personally I can't see them saying no to the Big 10 because of two basketball rivals, but what do I know.

Wait until Townie finds this board (if he hasn't already). He will attempt to blow your theory to pieces. Says the hoops games against Duke and UNC matter most, everything else is 2nd on Maryland's priority list.

Personally I can't see them saying no to the Big 10 because of two basketball rivals, but what do I know.

I don't know what their final answer would be if asked, but they sure haven't told the Big Ten to kiss off thus far, and make no mistake, they've been in contact and had opportunities to do so.