SU increases tuition, financial aid funding for 2024-25 academic year | Syracusefan.com

SU increases tuition, financial aid funding for 2024-25 academic year

Eeks.

By screwing us, Syracuse ultimately did my son a great financial favor in the end. He's going to the history / museum studies program that even the head of Syracuse's own department said was the best in the nation for $30K a year all in.

Cuse would be a $350K undergraduate degree!!!

Serious question, is this actually real money? I mean I feel like no one ever actually pays the full amount anymore, right?

Because unless you’re going to Newhouse or one of the other top programs it seems like an extremely unnecessary amount of money to pay.

I always wanted to go to Syracuse growing up, but unfortunately they did not have my major when I was applying to colleges. Looking back now, I can’t believe the current prices and what school would have cost me if I went to SU.

I ended up at UB which is ranked just below Syracuse and it cost less than 60,000 for 4 years. I would have spent more than that in just 1 year at Syracuse.

Serious question, is this actually real money? I mean I feel like no one ever actually pays the full amount anymore, right?

Because unless you’re going to Newhouse or one of the other top programs it seems like an extremely unnecessary amount of money to pay.

I always wanted to go to Syracuse growing up, but unfortunately they did not have my major when I was applying to colleges. Looking back now, I can’t believe the current prices and what school would have cost me if I went to SU.

I ended up at UB which is ranked just below Syracuse and it cost less than 60,000 for 4 years. I would have spent more than that in just 1 year at Syracuse.
No, people pay the full amount. when I went I received zero dollars of aid. Some outsized income years from my parents screwed me. If it hadn’t have been for Newhouse I wouldn’t have even looked twice at syracuse. Unfortunately my kids will not be going, the value isn’t even close to the asking price.

Last edited:

Crazy to say but I was accepted to SU in 05 and got zero scholarships or grants. I went to bonaventure on a full ride (just had to pay room and board). Did it serve me better or worse? Eh I guess the jury is still out but I was not going to pay that full tuition even though SU was my #1 school and I has great grades in HS ‍♂️

No, people pay the full amount. when I went I received zero dollars of aid. Some outsized income years from my parents screwed me. If it hadn’t have been for Newhouse I wouldn’t have even looked twice at syracuse. Unfortunately my kids will not be going, the value isn’t even close to the asking price.
Well some people pay the full amount for sure. There are however a lot that don't. Not necessarily free but discounted. Still even if you get half...costs vs value is a needed conversation that parents need to have or else schools will keep ripping people off.

People pay the full amount.

People pay the full amount.
You sure? I worked at Le Moyne for years. It is well known that there is a 'discount rate' and it hovers around 50% meaning they get about 1/2 of what they actually charge. The rest is funny money and magic numbers given through various school aid packages. Many of these packages were not based on family financial status.

I am paying the full amount for my son, not the fake amount. It's a crippling amount of money that i'm happy to pay. College is worth it (imo).

Well some people pay the full amount for sure. There are however a lot that don't. Not necessarily free but discounted. Still even if you get half...costs vs value is a needed conversation that parents need to have or else schools will keep ripping people off.
A large portion of the student body doesn't pay the full freight. However, they need to have a high list price for those who can pay it. Every school is different in terms of who pays full vs. not. Have no idea what the breakdown at SU is. But its in the school's interest to have a good chunk paying full freight. That's why they aggressively court international students.

A large portion of the student body doesn't pay the full freight. However, they need to have a high list price for those who can pay it. Every school is different in terms of who pays full vs. not. Have no idea what the breakdown at SU is. But its in the school's interest to have a good chunk paying full freight. That's why they aggressively court international students.

144% THIS.

International students pretty much always pay 100%.

Meanwhile, everyone else “saves” by getting a fake reduction off of a wildly jacked up retail price.

You sure? I worked at Le Moyne for years. It is well known that there is a 'discount rate' and it hovers around 50% meaning they get about 1/2 of what they actually charge. The rest is funny money and magic numbers given through various school aid packages. Many of these packages were not based on family financial status.

Actually, yeah, I am... :)

I don't know what the percentage is at Cuse. Everyone is right on the international students, and any walk across the quad can show you the uptick over the years.

Otherwise look at the large NE / MidAtlantic suburban roster of students, that's the full freight or close to it crowd.

144% THIS.

International students pretty much always pay 100%.

Meanwhile, everyone else “saves” by getting a fake reduction off of a wildly jacked up retail price.

Yes the international students from certain parts of the world pay full freight. I think it's naieve to think if someone from the Ukraine wants to go to SU it's immediately full freight.

SU was always super generous with academic scholarships. I went to SU because of one. I come from a lower middle class town where it was impossible otherwise.

Many schools do it that way, but not Syracuse.

My guess could be wrong but i’d wager international students are far less likely to be into the college sports teams, go to games, etc and also unlikely to feel connected to the school/city once they leave.

Yes the international students from certain parts of the world pay full freight. I think it's naieve to think if someone from the Ukraine wants to go to SU it's immediately full freight.

SU was always super generous with academic scholarships. I went to SU because of one. I come from a lower middle class town where it was impossible otherwise.
When I was on campus, I heard there was a surcharge for international students. Never knew if it was true. However, looking at the website, there is a $2K additional pricing for international students. Not sure where that extra $2K is added, but it's there.

I can also confirm, many walk-ons were paying the FULL amount to attend SU. Not all but some.

Wife and I are alums, but decided Cornell was better option than Syracuse for our oldest in fall.

I am paying the full amount for my son, not the fake amount. It's a crippling amount of money that i'm happy to pay. College is worth it (imo).
The question is not whether college is worth it, it’s whether SYRACUSE is worth it. I think college is 100% a great investment (if not a needed one) but Syracuse is stupid expensive

The question is not whether college is worth it, it’s whether SYRACUSE is worth it. I think college is 100% a great investment (if not a needed one) but Syracuse is stupid expensive
Depends on what you want to do. It was and continues to be worth every penny I spent.

I paid almost full price for an MPA at the Maxwell School 17 years ago and it was the best investment I could have ever made for my career. But overall, the overwhelming majority of students do not pay full price. This article explains it well.

Here's a good excerpt if you don't feel like reading the whole thing.

"Nobody in higher education wants to participate in the system of fake prices and fake scholarships anymore, but nobody can figure out how to escape from it. A tale of two colleges — Able and Baker — will show why honest pricing is nearly impossible to sustain in this environment.

Let's say Able College decides to stop publishing a false cost of attendance of $55,000, opting instead to advertise an honest price of $25,000, which is what most of its students actually pay. Nearby Baker College, meanwhile, keeps its sticker price at $55,000, though nobody pays more than $25,000 there, either.

Able's board may think it has done the right thing, and maybe it has. But board members are courting enrollment disaster. When Johnny is admitted to Able, he receives no scholarship; Able has already eliminated the fake $30,000 in tuition it was never able to charge, so it simply asks Johnny to pay $25,000 to attend the school. But when Johnny is admitted to Baker, he receives not only a letter of admission, but a $30,000-per-year "merit scholarship" on cream-colored cardstock with effusive language about his intellect and character (though nothing about his athletic abilities, since that would violate NCAA rules). Baker tells Johnny that his exceptional skill has earned him "$120,000 over four years." Johnny's parents and grandparents proudly tell their friends about "how much money Baker gave to Johnny," and Johnny chooses to attend Baker over Able.

To be clear, the offer is identical in both cases; it's just that Baker's actual annual cost of $25,000 is dressed up in an illusory $30,000 premium and an offsetting $30,000 scholarship. In most cases, Johnny is an unremarkable student, and the same "merit scholarship" letters go out to most of Baker College's admitted students. Johnny and his family might see that the "offer" from Able is the same as Baker's, but they invariably feel that Baker is the more prestigious option because of its (fake) high price, and that Baker "wants Johnny more" because of its generous scholarship offer. Able has unilaterally disarmed itself in the phantom-scholarship wars.

The cultural forces involved are so powerful that even the best institutions with the best of intentions must bend."

My daughter did two years at OCC and then transferred to SU. SU gave her a great deal and she ended up only spending about 15K per year. She lived at home and commuted to save that money too.

My son spent did two years at OCC and then transferred to LeMoyne where he got a great deal as well and he commuted also.

If people are looking at ways to cut the costs of college, I would recommend two years at a community college. In most cases you end up with two years debt free and it opens your options for a transfer to a four year school.

Depends on what you want to do. It was and continues to be worth every penny I spent.
Would it be any different if you went to Binghamton or Stoney Brook? That’s what I struggle with.