SU increases tuition, financial aid funding for 2024-25 academic year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU increases tuition, financial aid funding for 2024-25 academic year

If people are looking at ways to cut the costs of college, I would recommend two years at a community college.
100% agree. There is a stigma amongst some people that community college is "13th grade", etc. But it is a very smart/economical move for many to get your gen ed courses out of the way for a fraction of the price. You just have to make sure that the credits will transfer to wherever you want to go next.

I paid almost full price for an MPA at the Maxwell School 17 years ago and it was the best investment I could have ever made for my career. But overall, the overwhelming majority of students do not pay full price. This article explains it well.

Here's a good excerpt if you don't feel like reading the whole thing.

"Nobody in higher education wants to participate in the system of fake prices and fake scholarships anymore, but nobody can figure out how to escape from it. A tale of two colleges — Able and Baker — will show why honest pricing is nearly impossible to sustain in this environment.

Let's say Able College decides to stop publishing a false cost of attendance of $55,000, opting instead to advertise an honest price of $25,000, which is what most of its students actually pay. Nearby Baker College, meanwhile, keeps its sticker price at $55,000, though nobody pays more than $25,000 there, either.

Able's board may think it has done the right thing, and maybe it has. But board members are courting enrollment disaster. When Johnny is admitted to Able, he receives no scholarship; Able has already eliminated the fake $30,000 in tuition it was never able to charge, so it simply asks Johnny to pay $25,000 to attend the school. But when Johnny is admitted to Baker, he receives not only a letter of admission, but a $30,000-per-year "merit scholarship" on cream-colored cardstock with effusive language about his intellect and character (though nothing about his athletic abilities, since that would violate NCAA rules). Baker tells Johnny that his exceptional skill has earned him "$120,000 over four years." Johnny's parents and grandparents proudly tell their friends about "how much money Baker gave to Johnny," and Johnny chooses to attend Baker over Able.

To be clear, the offer is identical in both cases; it's just that Baker's actual annual cost of $25,000 is dressed up in an illusory $30,000 premium and an offsetting $30,000 scholarship. In most cases, Johnny is an unremarkable student, and the same "merit scholarship" letters go out to most of Baker College's admitted students. Johnny and his family might see that the "offer" from Able is the same as Baker's, but they invariably feel that Baker is the more prestigious option because of its (fake) high price, and that Baker "wants Johnny more" because of its generous scholarship offer. Able has unilaterally disarmed itself in the phantom-scholarship wars.

The cultural forces involved are so powerful that even the best institutions with the best of intentions must bend."

1716574836886.jpeg

Would it be any different if you went to Binghamton or Stoney Brook? That’s what I struggle with.
Considering it took my nephew about a year to get a good job at a school with less alumni resources I would say yes. Obviously If you’re a philosophy major you may struggle anywhere….

I live in the Boston area and it seems Syracuse is becoming more popular among HS students. Why? Syracuse is kind of the right size (not too big, not too small), has good academics, and a high level of school spirit. The price is too high, but paying for Syracuse (and most private schools) falls into 2 buckets: Wealthy families who can afford full price and the low income families who can get loads of financial aid. Unfortunately, middle to upper middle income families are squeezed.

Considering it took my nephew about a year to get a good job at a school with less alumni resources I would say yes. Obviously If you’re a philosophy major you may struggle anywhere….
It’s taking Cornell grads a long time to get jobs, the market is awful right now. The applicants to the open position on my team are insane. I feel for your nephew, there’s experienced people willing to take entry level jobs right now.

100% agree. There is a stigma amongst some people that community college is "13th grade", etc. But it is a very smart/economical move for many to get your gen ed courses out of the way for a fraction of the price. You just have to make sure that the credits will transfer to wherever you want to go next.
Agree. In hindsight, I almost wish I would have done that and I absolutely would do it if I was going to school in current times.

Trade school is looking better and better for my son. The ROI seems to be much higher

There is a stigma. I personally refused to go to community college where I could go free and went to four years of SU because I thought I was too good for community college. Of course in 1988 SU tuition was not close to what it is today. Fortunately my kids are not as arrogant as their dad was at their age.

There is a stigma. I personally refused to go to community college where I could go free and went to four years of SU because I thought I was too good for community college. Of course in 1988 SU tuition was not close to what it is today. Fortunately my kids are not as arrogant as their dad was at their age.
I felt the same way. Community college was for the kids who couldn't get in anywhere else.

It’s taking Cornell grads a long time to get jobs, the market is awful right now. The applicants to the open position on my team are insane. I feel for your nephew, there’s experienced people willing to take entry level jobs right now.
Thanks, but the economy was worse 15 years ago….Really not debatable.