SU/JAB: "Officially" King of the Comeback | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU/JAB: "Officially" King of the Comeback

We've had some impressive comebacks in the last 20 years, but I'd be interested to know how many 2nd half double digit leads we've given up during that same time period.

We've had some impressive comebacks in the last 20 years, but I'd be interested to know how many 2nd half double digit leads we've given up during that same time period.
Valid question. I really think there are precious few because JAB understands math, especially in the game’s final five minutes. Some here call it the slide rule.
There was the debacle loss against Pitt when Paul Harris did about three Paul Harris things in the last few minutes to steal defeat from the clutches of victory (love Paul, but that was an afternoon to forget).

Outside of the last few minutes of the game, we blew a big lead in the NIT to UMass. Johnny Flynn at the helm.

Furman at the Palestra. Down 19 I think. Dennis Duval led the comeback.

Did you mean comebacks against us? Because it seems like there were a lot of those, but maybe that's because those types of losses get multiplied in my memory.

No. If we are going to claim to be "King of the Comebacks", obviously we need to know how many comebacks other schools have made, (regardless of opponent), to see how it compares with our list.

I believe there was a game against Seton Hall and Luther Wright !

Glenn Sekunda had a crazy runner and we were down by double digits with seven minutes to go

No. If we are going to claim to be "King of the Comebacks", obviously we need to know how many comebacks other schools have made, (regardless of opponent), to see how it compares with our list.
I can guarantee, without proof :), that no one is close, especially against an amazing cross section of P-5 programs and coaches. We have a lot of CBB fans here. Name some large comebacks. I will start: Duke and Jason Williams beat Maryland on the road after tailing ~9 with under 1 minute left. Dean Smith and UNC had a famous one in the 1970s I think, that was similar to the Duke game I just referenced. And NC State had at least one huge comeback during their title run in 1983. And Princeton had an all-timer in 1999, as they fell behind Penn 29-3 late in the first half, 33-9 at halftime. But the Tigers rallied from a 40-13 second-half deficit and staged the fourth-biggest comeback in N.C.A.A. Division I history, defeating Penn, 50-49.

See, we have more than anyone combined! (I kid, I kid)

But think about it. You have to have a lot of talent mixed with a lot of flaws to fall WAY behind and comeback to win. I'd argue you have to have some distinct traits too, like a zone and a press that is less predicated on making steals in the backcourt and instead relies on speeding up the team with the lead (lot of coaches try to avoid embarrassing losses instead of trying to win). Our program has all that "proper mix." Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State don't fall behind like that too often (outside of 2020-21). And middling teams like, say, UConn, Illinois and UNLV don't have the heart/stomach or offensive talent to end of up on top in these type of games.

I really think that JAB, for all his flaws, has showcased gameplans B, C, and D to try to win EVERY NIGHT. Mike Brey had one game plan yesterday. And it worked remarkably well for ~25 minutes. After that, and ND's 98.7% win probability with 15 minutes left, he was spent. Nothing left to give. Meanwhile, JAB has the regular zone. And the regular zone with adjustments. And in the old days, he'd switch to man-to-man or a half-court trap (the Wake Forest victory in my original post). And in these modern times, the old man has the speed-'em-up press that's befuddled ND, Tony Bennett and a senior-laden team in '16 and many others.

Teams will have some or a few of these epic moments. No one (or no program) has at least 15 (and likely more).

Last edited:
2002 NIT against Butler we were down double figures and come back and won. Fantastic atmosphere at the Dome that night. Maybe the best crowd ever for an SU game in terms of quality vs. quantity.
Solid comeback, nothing too, too amazing. But in line with this thread for sure.

Syracuse rallied from a 13-point first-half deficit, its biggest
comeback of the season. Shumpert's baseline jumper tied the game
43-all with 11:41 left.

The Bulldogs threatened to run away with the game, going
7-for-15 on 3-pointers in the first half. Darnell Archey's
fastbreak 3-pointer with ½ minutes left in the half started Butler
on a 15-6 spurt. A 3-pointer by Mike Monserez and a pullup jumper
by Jackson gave the Bulldogs their biggest lead -- 35-22 with 3:29
left.

Syracuse closed the half with a 9-2 run keyed by Shumpert, who
almost singlehandedly kept the Orangemen in the game.

He began the surge with a layup, Warrick scored off a
give-and-go with Craig Forth, and Shumpert finished it with a
3-pointer to pull the Orangemen within 37-31 at halftime.

(AP)

2002 NIT against Butler we were down double figures and come back and won. Fantastic atmosphere at the Dome that night. Maybe the best crowd ever for an SU game in terms of quality vs. quantity.
was there. Still believe to this day that small NIT run helped Hak’s confidence so much out that it ultimately helped us win next year

As Charlie Murphy might've said "Trunk Monkey is a helluva drug!"

We've had a lot of great comebacks but so have other schools. Is there some database that would keep track of their comebacks?

I assumed you had them all written down in a notebook somewhere.

Of course you would.

Some bias here, but I don’t think there is a program out there with more big double-digit comeback wins over the years than SU.
The Bryant and Buffalo wins earlier this season were nice and necessary. But they don't compare to this list.
If I am missing any biggies, list them below.

• Today/Notre Dame (Down 20 with ~17 minutes left)
  • Virginia/2016 Elite 8 (The Gold Standard, down 16 near half)
  • Gonzaga/2016 Sweet 16 (Down 9 with 6:28 left, underrated comeback against heady squad)
  • Virginia Tech/2015 (Silent G buzzer beater, down 13 with 6:33 left)
  • Kansas/2008 (Trailed by 11 near half in Kansas City)
  • BYU/2004 (Trailed by 11 in 1st half, Gerry erupts for 43 1st round of NCAAs)
  • Oklahoma State/2003 (Trailed by 17 in 1st half)
  • Rutgers/2003 (Down 12 with 13+ minutes left in Carmelo’s last game in Dome)
  • Georgetown/2006 (BE Tourney, Down 15 at half)
  • Wake Forest at MSG (Down 10 with 10 minutes to play, win Pre-Season NIT)
For all the younglings, we rarely ever trailed like this in the 80s and 90s.
And this shows that JAB can coach at least a little bit. Those are some big-time programs (excluding Rutgers) and coaches in there.

The Virginia game full game has been removed by Verizon.
Michael Scott No GIF

No memory of this one. None. How did we go up by 20 and enetually trail by 11 to a winless Manhattan squad? In one half? Did everyone head to Varsity at the halftime? Crazy.
Was at that game. Gotta say I started out the doors at about the 4 minute time out. Made it back though

Shumpert was awesome that night IIRC. At least 30 points I think.

I can guarantee, without proof :), that no one is close, especially against an amazing cross section of P-5 programs and coaches. We have a lot of CBB fans here. Name some large comebacks. I will start: Duke and Jason Williams beat Maryland on the road after tailing ~9 with under 1 minute left. Dean Smith and UNC had a famous one in the 1970s I think, that was similar to the Duke game I just referenced. And NC State had at least one huge comeback during their title run in 1983. And Princeton had an all-timer in 1999, as they fell behind Penn 29-3 late in the first half, 33-9 at halftime. But the Tigers rallied from a 40-13 second-half deficit and staged the fourth-biggest comeback in N.C.A.A. Division I history, defeating Penn, 50-49.

See, we have more than anyone combined! (I kid, I kid)

But think about it. You have to have a lot of talent mixed with a lot of flaws to fall WAY behind and comeback to win. I'd argue you have to have some distinct traits too, like a zone and a press that is less predicated on making steals in the backcourt and instead relies on speeding up the team with the lead (lot of coaches try to avoid embarrassing losses instead of trying to win). Our program has all that "proper mix." Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State don't fall behind like that too often (outside of 2020-21). And middling teams like, say, UConn, Illinois and UNLV don't have the heart/stomach or offensive talent to end of up on top in these type of games.

I really think that JAB, for all his flaws, has showcased gameplans B, C, and D to try to win EVERY NIGHT. Mike Brey had one game plan yesterday. And it worked remarkably well for ~25 minutes. After that, and ND's 98.7% win probability with 15 minutes left, he was spent. Nothing left to give. Meanwhile, JAB has the regular zone. And the regular zone with adjustments. And in the old days, he'd switch to man-to-man or a half-court trap (the Wake Forest victory in my original post). And in these modern times, the old man has the speed-'em-up press that's befuddled ND, Tony Bennett and a senior-laden team in '16 and many others.

Teams will have some or a few of these epic moments. No one (or no program) has at least 15 (and likely more).
Pitino's UK team down 31 to LSU was the best comeback I ever witnessed.

Saying "we have the most" with zero research to back it up is worthless. Boeheim has certainly orchestrated a ton of amazing comebacks, but as a professional scientist, "belief" based reasoning is maddening to me. A hypothesis with no evidence is just a guess at best.

[Not saying this to take anything away from Boeheim, you need a ton of comebacks to win > 1000 games. That said, by sheer number of games coached he has a distinct advantage in total number of comeback wins vs other coaches. A better measure of a coach's ability to orchestrate comebacks would be percentage of games won by comeback.]

Saying "we have the most" with zero research to back it up is worthless. Boeheim has certainly orchestrated a ton of amazing comebacks, but as a professional scientist, "belief" based reasoning is maddening to me. A hypothesis with no evidence is just a guess at best.

[Not saying this to take anything away from Boeheim, you need a ton of comebacks to win > 1000 games. That said, by sheer number of games coached he has a distinct advantage in total number of comeback wins vs other coaches. A better measure of a coach's ability to orchestrate comebacks would be percentage of games won by comeback.]
And also better teams will have less chances for comebacks because they were not down to begin with.

Well, it is not worthless, as it started a discussion. And I am pretty sure that more than once I made it pretty obvious my “King of” declaration was in jest. I also have dug up plenty of evidence, albeit circumstantial.

That said, I do believe it to be true. So, it is a hypothesis, right? And yes, JAB had been around for a ~half century, but the lump sum of these comebacks have occurred this millennium, when the ingredients have been at peak: very good SU talent (not great, like the 80s and 90s), unique traits (zone/press), willingness to freelance or transition to new game plan, willingness to risk a huge or embarrassing loss to go for the long-shot win, shorter shot clock, lack of fundamentals the game, younger talent throughout the game.

Correct, Boeheim is going to have the most as he’s coached so long. But SU is gonna at or near the top of any program.

I might be able to track this down. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

They could be subtracted from our comeback total to get "Net Comebacks". :cool:

Correct, Boeheim is going to have the most as he’s coached so long. But SU is gonna at or near the top of any program.

I might be able to track this down. Fingers crossed.
Checked in with a friend at the Elias Sports Bureau and they don't have this granular detail, at least not as compared to pro sports. College sports data/statistics is like the Wild West. Some schools have it and are very organized, others are not. Plus, there is no centralization. That is not at all a commentary on SU's SID Office by the way, it is a truth that say ... UNC or Arizona might have "this much" data, but UTEP or Wofford does not. Just another reason that P5s need to break away.

The issue with your post is that we don’t see practice, we don’t have medical reports, etc.
Good point Capt and I agree we do not have all the information. I am not trying to nor want to extend the debate because I do think JB is an excellent coach. I was only questioning what appeared to be some very strange coaching decisions over the past few years, at least from my view point. I hear the argument about "bad practices" but here we are at the end of February and we are still having "bad practices" and all the players except five? Bad practices need to reflect on the coaches also! I need to stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom