SU-Louisville Dec 3, 1989 Tokyo Dome | Syracusefan.com

SU-Louisville Dec 3, 1989 Tokyo Dome

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
$T2eC16F,!yEE9s5jDVpHBRUd4L65hw~~60_57.JPG

We handled Louisville in this strange country for SU football to be playing in.

The Orangemen took care of the Cards on this day to the tune of 24-13 as the pipe smoking Howard Schellenberger paced the sidelines.

Schellenberger has always been a bit of an enigma to me.

It seems he had the college football world by the tail when he took a left for dead Miami Hurricane program all the way to the national championship in 1983. He revolutionized recruiting by building his squad almost exclusivly from a 3 county area surrounding Miami. Schellenberger is the individual who was responsible for the rest of the country taking a closer look at the state of Florida for recruiting purposes.

In 1985 he took over a worse program, Louisville. They hadn't had a winning season in the preceeding six years and only two in the past twelve. They played in a minor league baseball stadium and had to give away tickets to get fans to come out. The powers that be had given serious thought to dropping down to 1-AA.

His first three years were dreadful, going 8-24-1. However, in the next three seasons the Cards went 24-9-1 and even walloped Alabama 34-7 in the 1991 Fieta Bowl

We handled Louisville in this strange country for SU football to be playing in.

The Orangemen took care of the Cards on this day to the tune of 24-13 as the pipe smoking Howard Schellenberger paced the sidelines.

Schellenberger has always been a bit of an enigma to me.

It seems he had the college football world by the tail when he took a left for dead Miami Hurricane program all the way to the national championship in 1983. He revolutionized recruiting by building his squad almost exclusivly from a 3 county area surrounding Miami. Schellenberger is the individual who was responsible for the rest of the country taking a closer look at the state of Florida for recruiting purposes.
Tat was the Wendal Lowery game. Our top 2 QBs got hurt and we ended up having to play Wendell, who was a HS AA QB from Dillard HS in Fort Lauderdale who had never played before. He threw 2 long TDs in the fourth quarter to steal the game from the Cardinals. He dropped out from school shortly afterwards, a shooting star whose career was over almost before it got started.

That was back in the day when the Florida Big 3 did not recruit black quarterbacks.

Linkage

Tat was the Wendal Lowery game. Our top 2 QBs got hurt and we ended up having to play Wendell, who was a HS AA QB from Dillard HS in Fort Lauderdale who had never played before. He threw 2 long TDs in the fourth quarter to steal the game from the Cardinals. He dropped out from school shortly afterwards, a shooting star whose career was over almost before it got started.

That was back in the day when the Florida Big 3 did not recruit black quarterbacks.

Linkage
I vaguely remembered trying to listen to this game through static on the radio in Georgia (WHAM Rochester) and staying up extremely late to do so.

I was there.

Great experience.

Wendall Lowery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors