SU Men at #3 Duke. Saturday Noon. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU Men at #3 Duke. Saturday Noon.

So why would Denver be seeded higher than Syracuse?

They were 8-6.
Based on the NCAA's guidance regarding minimizing travel in the first round, you can't really say that the team playing the 3 seed is actually the 14 seed. They try to move in that direction, but travel is considered a more important consideration.

SU is 6-1 vs Duke last 7 meeting. Not an upset.

To you and I it isn't. To people who look at the rankings and seedings, it is. And you know ESPN would tout it as such.

Let's get it done. HHH!!!

Not necessarily the name I wanted to see, but we made our bed. Hope that goalie isn't as hot as he was in the Meadowlands.
I'll take 10 Goals again

To you and I it isn't. To people who look at the rankings and seedings, it is. And you know ESPN would tout it as such.

Let's get it done. HHH!!!

It would be an upset. They have had a much better season and are ranked and seeded much higher. Doesn't matter what happened in previous years. Duke is favored to win, as they should be, so if SU were to win it is an upset. But it is an upset I think will happen also.

Based on the NCAA's guidance regarding minimizing travel in the first round, you can't really say that the team playing the 3 seed is actually the 14 seed. They try to move in that direction, but travel is considered a more important consideration.

Hard to say they considered travel much in our case by sending Syracuse to North Carolina.

A 600 mile plane ride is much easier than a 400 mile bus ride.

Yeah but to limit travel costs the NCAA was supposed to keep schools regional so they could take buses.

Yeah but to limit travel costs the NCAA was supposed to keep schools regional so they could take buses.

Anything over 400 miles requires a plane. Of the 8 non-seeded teams (Syracuse, Stony Brook, Colgate, Canisius, Yale, Princeton, Maryland, and Denver) ... nobody is within busing distance to UNC and Duke. Maryland can't play either school in the 1st round.

Throw in the fact that Denver has to fly, and someone has to fly into South Bend, and it's a bit of a logistical nightmare.

Maryland can't play either school in the 1st round.

Throw in the fact that Denver has to fly, and someone has to fly into South Bend, and it's a bit of a logistical nightmare.
Maryland's first round game last year was at North Carolina.

In fact, this may be one of the first times that the 4 ACC schools were bracketed with the possibility of all making the FF.

And yes, the Denver and ND situations make it likely that a 3rd flight would be required. One way out would be to have Denver open at ND.

Maryland's first round game last year was at North Carolina.

In fact, this may be one of the first times that the 4 ACC schools were bracketed with the possibility of all making the FF.

And yes, the Denver and ND situations make it likely that a 3rd flight would be required. One way out would be to have Denver open at ND.
Denver's travel to any team in this year's tournament would require a flight. Denver to South Bend is over 1000 miles.

Denver's travel to any team in this year's tournament would require a flight. Denver to South Bend is over 1000 miles.
The point is, you cover two "must fly" teams with one game.

Not necessarily the name I wanted to see, but we made our bed. Hope that goalie isn't as hot as he was in the Meadowlands.
I'm not sold on our goali yet. He seems to lose sight of the ball too easily on what should be simple stops,relatively speaking.

Actually they did, since Denver is at UNC.
UNC is not a "must fly". They would be in bus distance to: the other 3 ACC schools, JHU, Loyola. Any Denver game would require a flight. Perhaps the same is true of ND.

Why would UNC have to take a bus anywhere when they're a Top 8 seed and hosting a game?

Why would UNC have to take a bus anywhere when they're a Top 8 seed and hosting a game?
We're obviously not communicating very well.

How about, someone could take a bus to UNC?

The point is, depending upon how the committee seeded and matched, they could have done the tournament with fewer flights.

We're obviously not communicating very well.

How about, someone could take a bus to UNC?

The point is, depending upon how the committee seeded and matched, they could have done the tournament with fewer flights.

Other than Maryland, all the other unseeded teams were beyond 400 miles from UNC (Princeton was the closest at 461 miles). And the committee frowns upon matching up teams from the same conference in the 1st round.

Seeding this year was pretty straightforward ... the Top 8 teams all received seeds and home games. UNC finished the season ranked 5/6. Not sure how the committee could seed Colgate and leave UNC out for the sake of easier travel arrangements.

Somebody had to fly to Duke and UNC, and somebody had to fly to Notre Dame (Canisius was the closest school at 450 miles).

Other than Maryland, all the other unseeded teams were beyond 400 miles from UNC (Princeton was the closest at 461 miles). And the committee frowns upon matching up teams from the same conference in the 1st round.

Seeding this year was pretty straightforward ... the Top 8 teams all received seeds and home games. UNC finished the season ranked 5/6. Not sure how the committee could seed Colgate and leave UNC out for the sake of easier travel arrangements.

Somebody had to fly to Duke and UNC, and somebody had to fly to Notre Dame (Canisius was the closest school at 450 miles).
So, you fly Denver to either ND or UNC, killing two birds.

Anyone tailgating this Saturday? I am considering making the drive to go watch. Just figured I would ask.

Anyone tailgating this Saturday? I am considering making the drive to go watch. Just figured I would ask.

Yeah I'll be throwing a couple back before the opening face, but unsure how the parking scene is and what the atmosphere will be.

Parking and Traffic Alert – NCAA Lacrosse Championships

DURHAM, N.C. – On Saturday, May 12th and Sunday, May 13th, the NCAA will host 1st Round NCAA Tournament action live from Koskinen Stadium on the campus of Duke University. On Saturday, May 12th, the Duke Men’s Lacrosse team will host Syracuse at 12:00 PM and then on Sunday, May 13th the Duke Women’s Lacrosse team will host Virginia at 2:00 PM. For fans attending these NCAA matches parking will be free of charge and available on a first come, first serve basis on campus. Please see the information below as well as the linked directions and map for a detailed breakdown of general public parking locations for each day of the championship.

Please note that these NCAA Championships coincide with Duke’s Commencement Weekend activities, therefore traffic will be heavy around campus from Friday, May 11th until Sunday, May 13th. Guests attending the tournament should add extra time to their travels to ensure they arrive at the parking area and stadium at their desired time.

Men’s and Women’s Lacrosse General Public Parking for Persons with Disabilities - For both the men’s and women’s lacrosse games, parking for persons with disabilities will be available in the Whitford Drive Lot. To access Whitford Drive please follow the linked directions and map. In addition, an accessible drop-off and pick-up point is available on Bassett Drive or Whitford Drive outside of the Koskinen Stadium gates.

Men’s Lacrosse General Public Parking – For the men’s lacrosse game on Saturday, May 12th, general public parking will be available in the Bassett Drive Lot, Grounds Lot, and 751 Lot. No parking will be available for the general public in the Whitford Drive lot due to commencement activities and VIP parking for the championships.

Directions to Koskinen Stadium:

From RDU Airport (and Points East)

1. Exit the Airport on Westbound I-40
2. After 4 miles, merge on to NC-147N towards
Durham/Downtown. Exit No. 279B
3. After 8.5 miles, exit Chapel Hill Street. Exit No. 13
4. Chapel Hill Street becomes Duke University Road
5. Proceed to dead end, turn right on HW 751
6. At next stop light (Science Drive), turn right.
7. Turn right on Whitford Drive (Koskinen ahead on right).

From points north traveling on S I-85
1. Exit 15-501 Bypass South
2. On 15-501, Exit at HW 751, turn left at the light.
3. Proceed to third light (Science Dr.) and turn left.
4 . Turn right on Whitford Drive (Koskinen ahead on right).

From points south traveling on N I-85
1. Exit on HW 751, Exit No. 170
2. Turn right at first light.
3. Go three miles and at the fourth light, turn left on Science Drive.
4. Turn right on Whitford Drive (Koskinen ahead on right).

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=218133

Is the Duke lacrosse field the one that is less than a stone's throw from Cameron? If so, the field is in more pristine condition than the greens at the Masters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom