SU middle of the pack on offense against BCS teams | Syracusefan.com

SU middle of the pack on offense against BCS teams

Millhouse

Living Legend
381 yards per game against BCS teams. considering how bad the passing attack is, that's not that bad.

Defense is 87th against BCS teams but clemson being one of the 4 games will do that to you.

FSU will get a couple thousand yards but by the end of the year, they'll be around the middle of the pack too.

if you look at all games they're middle of the pack in both (wagner offsets clemson)

i think that's OK considering we are getting nothing from the passing game.

381 yards per game against BCS teams. considering how bad the passing attack is, that's not that bad.

Defense is 87th against BCS teams but clemson being one of the 4 games will do that to you.

FSU will get a couple thousand yards but by the end of the year, they'll be around the middle of the pack too.

if you look at all games they're middle of the pack in both (wagner offsets clemson)

i think that's OK considering we are getting nothing from the passing game.

The problem going forward is that now there is a lot of tape out there showing that SU gets nothing from the passing game and has a very productive running game. All the teams left on the schedule are going to game plan accordingly. If we can still produce when teams scheme to take away the run, this team is going to win its share.

The problem going forward is that now there is a lot of tape out there showing that SU gets nothing from the passing game and has a very productive running game. All the teams left on the schedule are going to game plan accordingly. If we can still produce when teams scheme to take away the run, this team is going to win its share.
Teams are already trying to take away the run. Our O-Line is getting better every game.

Teams are already trying to take away the run. Our O-Line is getting better every game.

Oh, I agree. My point is more to the assumption that teams going forward are going to concentrate even more on trying to take the run away now that SU has shown that it doesn't have a productive passing game with Hunt. Wagner and Tulane
games were not indicative. Clemson was Clemson. NCST was the first real indication of the lack of a passing attack.

Oh, I agree. My point is more to the assumption that teams going forward are going to concentrate even more on trying to take the run away now that SU has shown that it doesn't have a productive passing game with Hunt. Wagner and Tulane
games were not indicative. Clemson was Clemson. NCST was the first real indication of the lack of a passing attack.

Yes an no. At least we had some passes avail vs NC State. Next step will be hitting them. LB's will be cheating up towards the line and safeties looking in the backfield so we need to run routes accordingly.

When teams have to over play the run, things will open up. They aren't going to keep playing man and let us rip off 45 yd runs. Teams want to keep pressing and turning their back to the LOS, we will just run off the corners and the safeties.

Yes an no. At least we had some passes avail vs NC State. Next step will be hitting them. LB's will be cheating up towards the line and safeties looking in the backfield so we need to run routes accordingly.

When teams have to over play the run, things will open up. They aren't going to keep playing man and let us rip off 45 yd runs. Teams want to keep pressing and turning their back to the LOS, we will just run off the corners and the safeties.

Agree with both of you. GTech will stack the box, HCSS and staff will anticipate that this is what is most likely to happen and will look to exploit the passing game as part of the game planning during the week. I think first and foremost, GTech will make SU prove that they can take advantage of GT playing 7-8 in the box.

The game will be determined, IMO, by SU's ability to make GT play "honest"

Right.

That fly route to Clark still bugs me.

Hunt was inches from a TD on that throw.

Right.

That fly route to Clark still bugs me.

Hunt was inches from a TD on that throw.

Hunt needs to add trajectory to his passes. That looked like a 2010 Nassib pass.

Hunt needs to add trajectory to his passes. That looked like a 2010 Nassib pass.

I didn't think the trajectory was all that bad - he just threw it a bit too far.

Having said that he does tend to throw with less air than many.

I think we come out slinging it on Bubble and tunnel screens, wheel routes to the RB's. It is kind of what you do when folks stack the box.

Actually works to what we were trying to do earlier in the season, get the ball to Ashton, Brisley, Kobena and clark in space.

The WR s need to block on bubble screens. They are turrible.

I can't help but agree here. I've yelled at my TV countless times after our WRs badly miss blocks.

And yet, going back several years now, other teams seem to rip us apart with the EXACT same play types.

How is it that, seemingly year after year, our DBs can't get off blocks???

SU seems to throw that bubble with 1 or no receivers blocking and the 1 has struggled to hit the guy period which is beyond frustrating. West and Broyld are the only good sized receivers that in theory be good blockers but the most effort I've seen from a blocker has been by Kobena and he has struggled with it. Hell...put Cleveland and Wales out there with a receiver on one side. I think that would open options. Pass to the WR. Fake it to the WR and hit Wales on an inside slant as they over play the bubble or just fad back and let the guys try to get open, qb draw...lots of way to attack that would be more effective than having a 160 pound Clark attempt to block 2 or 3 guys for Estime that one time he gets the ball.

SU seems to throw that bubble with 1 or no receivers blocking and the 1 has struggled to hit the guy period which is beyond frustrating. West and Broyld are the only good sized receivers that in theory be good blockers but the most effort I've seen from a blocker has been by Kobena and he has struggled with it. Hell...put Cleveland and Wales out there with a receiver on one side. I think that would open options. Pass to the WR. Fake it to the WR and hit Wales on an inside slant as they over play the bubble or just fad back and let the guys try to get open, qb draw...lots of way to attack that would be more effective than having a 160 pound Clark attempt to block 2 or 3 guys for Estime that one time he gets the ball.
this reminds me of 2009 all over again.

the bubble screen is not something you plan. it's something you simply take if it's there, a read. if clark will have to block 2 guys you don't throw it. the ball should never be going there in that scenario.

it's just like spence being terrified of paulus and thinking well, we want him to complete something so we'll give him a bubble screen here. it's all wrong and we're doing it all over again trying to give hunt worthless completions

if defenders are already prepared for the bubble screen, you should never need to throw it, just run the ball.

Paulus is a very good good guy to compare Hunt too. Both are point guards with imo, Hunt having a better arm and more athletic. SS should learn from that 2009 experience and learn from it.

Spence had to cover for Paulus's weaknesses and try to use his strengths and went too far with the bubbles.

OC-Mac has more to work with regarding Hunt. Curious to know how effective Paulus was with 10 to 20 yard throws, not gains but ball in the air 10-20 and then see how Hunt does with that, I'd guess a lot better through the season.

The WR s need to block on bubble screens. They are turrible.
Have we ever been able to run a screen? It seems like ever since I've watched SU football, when we run any type of screen there is one defender that knifes through the blockers (that aren't blocking anyone) and cuts down our guy just as he catches the ball. The only exception to this was a middle screen to Shelby Hill (Hall of Fame Bowl, I think) that went something like 50 yards for a touchdown.