SU opens as 6.5 point dog | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU opens as 6.5 point dog

As you much as you want to make it about me or the fans, that's a misconception. Sure I'd like them to stay, but the football program that chooses to award the scholarship and the dealers that hand out NIL - they are the ones whose bottom line is affected. They are the ones that should set requirements for participation. Without college football 99% of these kids do not have a platform to develop to reach their NFL potential. If this is essentially all business related, I don't see what's ridiculous about writing a job description that requires the employee to show up every day until the end of their contract. Or maybe it gets to the point where they have to include "paid games off". Maybe for every season they fulfill their requirements, they earn one paid game off. By senior year they can take up to 3 games off - backload it, frontload it, their choice. Everyone is looking out for themselves, sadly.

If this goes unchecked, eventually you'll see marquee players opting out in the middle of the season once they've "shown enough" to impress the scouts. It needs to be regulated. If they don't like it then don't go to college, find another platform.
Couldn’t agree more; lots of fans think it’s chic or savvy to openly advocate for star players not to play in their own team’s bowl game but I bet they’d have a fit if the same player just walked off the team 2/3 into the season in order to bubble wrap themselves.

Both are different degrees of the same action. At some point we have to admit that fans do matter, as does the football program.

I’d like to see scholarship $ revoked for any year in which a player opts out for any game in which they are medically cleared by staff. The player should have an obligation to the school and it sounds like it should become a business contract. I can’t believe so many support the idea of opt-outs. Bowls are not any more or less meaningless than a regular season game save for a small handful of schools that stay in playoff. If your team plays in a game, that game matters to the school.
The semester is typically done and paid for at the time of the bowl.

I’d like to see scholarship $ revoked for any year in which a player opts out for any game in which they are medically cleared by staff. The player should have an obligation to the school and it sounds like it should become a business contract. I can’t believe so many support the idea of opt-outs. Bowls are not any more or less meaningless than a regular season game save for a small handful of schools that stay in playoff. If your team plays in a game, that game matters to the school.
Bowl games aren't part of the current season. That's why our transfers that had to sit out in 2018 were able to participate in one. Also, most school semesters end before a lot of bowl games are played, so all obligations are fulfilled both ways anyway.

The semester is typically done and paid for at the time of the bowl.
That’s a fair point. I think moving forward we will see bowl participation attached to NIL deals. It will all probably work itself out. The landscape of college football is always changing.

As you much as you want to make it about me or the fans, that's a misconception. Sure I'd like them to stay, but the football program that chooses to award the scholarship and the dealers that hand out NIL - they are the ones whose bottom line is affected. They are the ones that should set requirements for participation. Without college football 99% of these kids do not have a platform to develop to reach their NFL potential. If this is essentially all business related, I don't see what's ridiculous about writing a job description that requires the employee to show up every day until the end of their contract. Or maybe it gets to the point where they have to include "paid games off". Maybe for every season they fulfill their requirements, they earn one paid game off. By senior year they can take up to 3 games off - backload it, frontload it, their choice. Everyone is looking out for themselves, sadly.

If this goes unchecked, eventually you'll see marquee players opting out in the middle of the season once they've "shown enough" to impress the scouts. It needs to be regulated. If they don't like it then don't go to college, find another platform.
Some valid points there. At this point, I think the schools are accepting of the current business situation even if they don't love it. Playoff games are viewed as the only ones that are relevant at this point, so as long as guys don't opt out of those, you won't hear schools complain. I don't think you'll here NIL providers say much either. If the players contribute during the season, non-playoff bowls are considered gravy.

Spot on.

Since these "young adults" (not kids) are getting what they wished for, and this relationship nowadays is predominantly a 'business' deal for many, it needs to be treated as such, especially with the platform (as you alluded to) they are generously afforded that they wouldn't have otherwise.

As in business, where one may go to capital investors, or the like, etc. pitching their idea and/or talents, but lack the coin/resources and or platform to launch it/them. You need to be prepared to give up something in return ($$$) per the particular agreement struck/attained that afforded you the initial opportunity.

Last edited:
That’s a fair point. I think moving forward we will see bowl participation attached to NIL deals. It will all probably work itself out. The landscape of college football is always changing.

There is absolutely no chance schools are going to push players to play in non-playoff bowls as an NIL condition. Zero percent. The impact on recruiting would be devastating, you’re creating a culture of “we don’t care about you ruining your nfl career getting injured in a bowl, deal with it”. That’s called “How to get negatively recruited against in one easy step”. Maybe something if you make the playoff, but that’s as far as any school might go - but I even doubt that.

Reality is the ONLY way it changes is if not playing negatively impacts where a guy gets drafted. And skipping a bowl won’t impact where a guy gets drafted. Skipping half the season could/probably would - so it’s less likely we’ll see a flood of end-of-September opt outs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom