SU Orange golf outing in Seneca falls | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU Orange golf outing in Seneca falls

so they would drive 20-25 min from Cicero to like Drumlins but not 45-50 min to seneca falls? so 20 min more?

it starts at noon. you would have to leave most anywhere in syracuse/work by 11 to get to someplace to play.

If this was being played in Buff/Albany thats one thing.. But also in seneca falls they get people from Roch as well. I drive an hr to play.

One of these things is a lot of work. You would need someone to do the grunt work and its not the school doing any of this now.
Checking Apple Maps right now it is a 19 min drive to drumlins from Cicero. Its 55 mins to Seneca falls CC. 36 mins is not a small difference. Obviously it’d probably be slightly different if I checked late tomorrow morning and early evening. They all said that if it was closer they’d consider. Or if it was on the weekend instead of a workday.

But it doesn’t matter I was just wondering why Seneca Falls and I get it now. I hope you guys had fun and drank a few for the rest of us

Checking Apple Maps right now it is a 19 min drive to drumlins from Cicero. Its 55 mins to Seneca falls CC. 36 mins is not a small difference. Obviously it’d probably be slightly different if I checked late tomorrow morning and early evening. They all said that if it was closer they’d consider. Or if it was on the weekend instead of a workday.

But it doesn’t matter I was just wondering why Seneca Falls and I get it now. I hope you guys had fun and drank a few for the rest of us
I wish I could join. Timing at end of year makes this hard for me. As does the four hour drive.

Have they ever done a similar event closer to city? I bet they could fundraise well off of it. But I get they’re annoying to run.

I wish I could join. Timing at end of year makes this hard for me. As does the four hour drive.

Have they ever done a similar event closer to city? I bet they could fundraise well off of it. But I get they’re annoying to run.
The thing that is strange to me is that SU owns the Drumlins golf course.

The private side is really nice and a lot of SU football fans would love to have a chance to play on it and also support the football program.

To make matters even more confusing, I know SU is trying to make Drumlins more visible and more heavily used by the general public.

It seems to me it would be a no brainer to have a summer golf tournament to support SU sports. Football, basketball, maybe all sports. I know they do one to support the engineering school. I have played in that a number of times. Why not help SU athletics as well?

One possible answer: I know SU has a relationship with Turning Stone and I know there is at least one golf tournament held there that benefits SU basketball. It targets high rollers though and I don't think 'normal' fans are who they want playing in it.

There was a golf tournament at Links at Erie Village for SU athletics maybe 15 years ago and maybe one at Pompey a few years before. But Drumlins should be the host.

That said, major props to the people at Seneca Falls Country Club for putting on their tournament every year. I think they do a great job and do not advocate moving it from there.

It just seems to me that SU Athletics is missing a major opportunity to make a lot of money and showcase Drumlins. I know the athletics department is short staffed and setting up an event like this is time consuming.

Perhaps someday they will find some time to do it. I think a couple of interns could do most of the leg work without a problem. If I can set up a golf tournament from scratch, anyone can...

Back to the Q&A session after the golf. One thing I forgot: someone asked Dino about the running back situation. How are the freshmen RBs looking?

Dino said Muwaffaq was doing really well. He also said Ike got hurt and for a while it was thought his injury was a lot more serious than it turned out to be. He just returned to workouts and in back in action after getting shut down for a while.

The private side is really nice and a lot of SU football fans would love to have a chance to play on it and also support the football program.

To make matters even more confusing, I know SU is trying to make Drumlins more visible and more heavily used by the general public.

It seems to me it would be a no brainer to have a summer golf tournament to support SU sports. Football, basketball, maybe all sports. I know they do one to support the engineering school. I have played in that a number of times. Why not help SU athletics as well?

One possible answer: I know SU has a relationship with Turning Stone and I know there is at least one golf tournament held there that benefits SU basketball. It targets high rollers though and I don't think 'normal' fans are who they want playing in it.

There was a golf tournament at Links at Erie Village for SU athletics maybe 15 years ago and maybe one at Pompey a few years before. But Drumlins should be the host.

That said, major props to the people at Seneca Falls Country Club for putting on their tournament every year. I think they do a great job and do not advocate moving it from there.

It just seems to me that SU Athletics is missing a major opportunity to make a lot of money and showcase Drumlins. I know the athletics department is short staffed and setting up an event like this is time consuming.

Perhaps someday they will find some time to do it. I think a couple of interns could do most of the leg work without a problem. If I can set up a golf tournament from scratch, anyone can...

Back to the Q&A session after the golf. One thing I forgot: someone asked Dino about the running back situation. How are the freshmen RBs looking?

Dino said Muwaffaq was doing really well. He also said Ike got hurt and for a while it was thought his injury was a lot more serious than it turned out to be. He just returned to workouts and in back in action after getting shut down for a while.
Someone? I was sitting right next you.

Someone? I was sitting right next you.
ha.

Dino's ability to talk without giving details is pretty fun to listen too. He takes over the room every time. It would be fascinating to be able to talk with him in a non open setting where you could really ask questions. Most of the time 3/4 of the room isnt really comfortable just asking stuff in public.

Last edited:
Late to the party here, but I’m assuming the wrinkle is a form of option. It helps the line by slowing the penetration of bigger D lines, and forces them to move laterally rather than just bursting forward. It also gets our smaller shifty speedsters in the RB room to the outside on the run. My only concern is that it may not reduce the wear and tear on the QB, although it might save his arm some. That said, it also forces some stubborn looking HB dives up the gut to keep them honest, so we will have to be patient with the play calling.

Late to the party here, but I’m assuming the wrinkle is a form of option. It helps the line by slowing the penetration of bigger D lines, and forces them to move laterally rather than just bursting forward. It also gets our smaller shifty speedsters in the RB room to the outside on the run. My only concern is that it may not reduce the wear and tear on the QB, although it might save his arm some. That said, it also forces some stubborn looking HB dives up the gut to keep them honest, so we will have to be patient with the play calling.
With the freeze option becoming the new hot thing in football, I tend to agree with you.

Maybe Donovan McNabb can stop by practice and give Garrett some pointers during preseason camp.

With the freeze option becoming the new hot thing in football, I tend to agree with you.

Maybe Donovan McNabb can stop by practice and give Garrett some pointers during preseason camp.
With his daughter on the WBB team I would wager it's likely Donovan will make an appearance at practice sometime.

With his daughter on the WBB team I would wager it's likely Donovan will make an appearance at practice sometime.
Yes, I bet he makes a lot of home games this season.

It will be good to have him back and maybe it will help bring some of the other guys from his era closer to the program as well.

Any word on this golf tournament this year or how to register? Seneca falls has it listed on their list of events for June 10.
Cool I might be able to make this one.

Any word on this golf tournament this year or how to register? Seneca falls has it listed on their list of events for June 10.
Looks like a nice course. A few long holes but looks like a person with a good long driver and a decent short game could score pretty well. I wish I had a good looong straight driver LoL.

They really should do turning stone

Being in the golf business, why isn’t this event in the city ? Can someone explain why they haven’t explored Bellevue or Onondaga or anything? I know so many more people that would be willing to play.. I can certainly help get it moved too if they wanted somewhere closer

Being in the golf business, why isn’t this event in the city ? Can someone explain why they haven’t explored Bellevue or Onondaga or anything? I know so many more people that would be willing to play.. I can certainly help get it moved too if they wanted somewhere closer
Because no one in the past wants to do the work to set it up locally.

Hopefully you can get it organized.

Would seem to be a no-brainer. I guess no one in Syracuse has taken the initiative. Like Tomcat said, Drumlins would seem like a natural. And you would think that with the collectives, that they would jump at having a captioned audience. Probably could get 144 golfers like a lot of these more organized fundraisers have.

Because if its not in seneca falls it doesnt exist.. Its a simple course for this to be run on. Its cheaper than most. It would easily double in cost at a bigger course. The on course food is great. The fact that so few come and play from the syracuse area begs why move the venue.. Turning stone is 30-40 min away from much of the city as well and many who play now would not go.

the SU local alumni keep this alive. Syracuse had several of these and they all faded away, Also its an event that takes half a day for the coaches to attend.. If you start getting more teams its a 6+ hr event to play not 4+. How many on this board play now? Last yr less than 10 I think of us showed up

Would seem to be a no-brainer. I guess no one in Syracuse has taken the initiative. Like Tomcat said, Drumlins would seem like a natural. And you would think that with the collectives, that they would jump at having a captioned audience. Probably could get 144 golfers like a lot of these more organized fundraisers have.
I have a tournament consulting business where I literally run golf events across the country so this is no brainer. I was a member at drumlins for a long time and know everyone there. I would have no issue running this thing and crushing it because if this is in the city it’s more than a grand slam. TexanMark if you want to connect me with someone, I would be more than happy to start the process for 2025 event…

Timber Banks would be the best of both worlds. Maybe Drumlins

Because if its not in seneca falls it doesnt exist.. Its a simple course for this to be run on. Its cheaper than most. It would easily double in cost at a bigger course. The on course food is great. The fact that so few come and play from the syracuse area begs why move the venue.. Turning stone is 30-40 min away from much of the city as well and many who play now would not go.

the SU local alumni keep this alive. Syracuse had several of these and they all faded away, Also its an event that takes half a day for the coaches to attend.. If you start getting more teams its a 6+ hr event to play not 4+. How many on this board play now? Last yr less than 10 I think of us showed up
Maybe the coaches show up for a breakfast. In and out.