SU Ranked #1 | Syracusefan.com

SU Ranked #1

Do you guys think that is accurate? Over WVU or even Ohio U in Athens? Or Colorado?!

Don't tell me you would rather be #1 in academics or even in college hoops !!

It's impossible to measure what school parties the most. However, Greek life is extremely popular at SU, and that is obviously a big source of partying.

I can't even see Syracuse the top party school in the ACC, New York, or even the city of Syracuse.

This is SU's official statement regarding it:
“We are disappointed with the Princeton Review ranking, which is based on a two-year-old survey of a very small portion of our student body. Syracuse University has a long-established reputation for academic excellence with programs that are recognized nationally and internationally as the best in their fields. We do not aspire to be a party school. With new leadership, we are very focused on enhancing the student experience, both academically and socially. Students, parents, faculty and the full Syracuse University community should expect to see important and positive changes in the year ahead that will improve and enhance the student environment in every aspect.”

cto said:
This is SU's official statement regarding it: “We are disappointed with the Princeton Review ranking, which is based on a two-year-old survey of a very small portion of our student body. Syracuse University has a long-established reputation for academic excellence with programs that are recognized nationally and internationally as the best in their fields. We do not aspire to be a party school. With new leadership, we are very focused on enhancing the student experience, both academically and socially. Students, parents, faculty and the full Syracuse University community should expect to see important and positive changes in the year ahead that will improve and enhance the student environment in every aspect.”
Why do schools even respond to this stuff?

Why do schools even respond to this stuff?
Because, like it or not, this type of illogical journalism is taken to heart by prospective students and maybe more importantly, parents.

I can't even see Syracuse the top party school in the ACC, New York, or even the city of Syracuse.

Syracuse for the most part is rich kids from NYC, DC, and Boston. It is a HUUUUUUGE party school.

But most of those kids can also buckle down and pass their classes as well. Work hard play hard.

Just because Cuse students don't care to go to football games has nothing to do with them "partying"

and there is nothing wrong with "partying"

This is SU's official statement regarding it:
“We are disappointed with the Princeton Review ranking, which is based on a two-year-old survey of a very small portion of our student body. Syracuse University has a long-established reputation for academic excellence with programs that are recognized nationally and internationally as the best in their fields. We do not aspire to be a party school. With new leadership, we are very focused on enhancing the student experience, both academically and socially. Students, parents, faculty and the full Syracuse University community should expect to see important and positive changes in the year ahead that will improve and enhance the student environment in every aspect.”

Yawn... same ole same ole horrendous PR response. They basically copied and pasted the last 10 schools to win this award.

The 1st school to respond "we take pride in our students studying hard while also having a good time" will be the 1st to tell the truth. Not every school is Stanford or Harvard. Take advantage of the publicity. Have responsible fun. Its the way to win. Nice companies finish 1st...

Lehigh has been on that list for years. They are a huge party school. They also have incredibly serious students. The two, academics and partying, are not at all related. One can study hard and also party hard, as long as the partying is done in a safe and mature way. Partying does not even have to involve drinking or drugs. Dancing, having a school wide water fight, celebrating after a football game with a big pizza party, camping out for 2 weeks to get the best seats for the Duke game, are all methods of partying. People put their own spin on this. While I understand the University is not thrilled with this distinction, (quick tell me who are number 3, 4 and 5 and that is why #1 is not the best pr), most people realize it is not a reflection of the academic or other stellar qualities of the university. Trust me, we are not as big of a party school as Arizona State, or any other of a long list. Maybe we have this distinction because our students bothered to answer the questions because in their own endearing way they were giving recognition to their school. The other school's students were to drunk or apathetic to bother to respond to questions involving their respective schools. What I find most interesting, is my facebook response was that I probably got the party started in the early 1970s and most of the responses are from other Newhouse students. I think we all carried on quite well academically in our day also.

Syracuse for the most part is rich kids from NYC, DC, and Boston. It is a HUUUUUUGE party school.

But most of those kids can also buckle down and pass their classes as well. Work hard play hard.

Just because Cuse students don't care to go to football games has nothing to do with them "partying"

Agreed. It's part of the college experience. Take pride in it. Our students can pull grades and have social skills, deal with it.

Because, like it or not, this type of illogical journalism is taken to heart by prospective students and maybe more importantly, parents.
Maybe so. I'll be honest I didn't see (nor did my parents) these rankings prior to college.

Some of my friends on Facebook are posting how ashamed they are about it.

Unreal. Live a little. Talk about taking life to seriously. "Declining academic standards...dumb drunk kids bragging about partying...wah wah".

Guess what? Not every person that parties is failing out.

I think the ranking would be easier to accept in good fun if the overall ranking of the school was back to where it was. When the school has slid as far as it has, these kind of rankings aren't really that great, imo.

Believe me, I had a blast when I went to SU. I also did pretty well academically. But I hate seeing how far the school has fallen in the overall rankings. I know they tend to be a bit arbitrary and political, but it still stinks.

The student newspaper and sports scene factored heavily into the #1 ranking.

First off, I think Syracuse has a proper enough image to handle any parent getting cold sweats over the #1 party school tag. Second off, aren't a respectable, active student newspaper and sports scene good things?

Every 20-30 something that I work with has a newfound respect for Syracuse, I can tell you that much..

I think the ranking would be easier to accept in good fun if the overall ranking of the school was back to where it was. When the school has slid as far as it has, these kind of rankings aren't really that great, imo.

Believe me, I had a blast when I went to SU. I also did pretty well academically. But I hate seeing how far the school has fallen in the overall rankings. I know they tend to be a bit arbitrary and political, but it still stinks.
so basically, you like to sit around and worry about nothing. explain to me how these rankings somehow affect your life, and don't BS me, because you and I both know that they don't.

Syracuse , most part is rich kids from NYC, DC, and Boston. It is a HUUUUUUGE party school.

I agree there's nothing wrong with it and I don't think paying and academic legitimacy are mutually exclusive.

But for me it's an awfully big leap of faith to believe SU is a bigger party school
than ASU , most SEC schools, or any large state school for that matter.

I thought SUNY Geneseo was a bigger party school than Syracuse...But admittedly that was over ten years ago.

so basically, you like to sit around and worry about nothing. explain to me how these rankings somehow affect your life, and don't BS me, because you and I both know that they don't.

Do I worry about it? Nope. Does it bother me when I see the rankings come out and we continuously slide down the ladder? Yes.

It obviously bothers the people on the hill as well with the statement they put out.

docsu said:
I agree there's nothing wrong with it and I don't think paying and academic legitimacy are mutually exclusive. But for me it's an awfully big leap of faith to believe SU is a bigger party school than ASU , most SEC schools, or any large state school for that matter. I thought SUNY Geneseo was a bigger party school than Syracuse...But admittedly that was over ten years ago.
There is zero chance SU (or probably any other school) is a bigger party school than ASU. Zero. This place is nuts.

Do I worry about it? Nope. Does it bother me when I see the rankings come out and we continuously slide down the ladder? Yes.

It obviously bothers the people on the hill as well with the statement they put out.

That statement the University made is as bland as it gets. Heck, WVU sends out similar garbage when they pop up on these lists.