SU-Tennessee 1998 video | Syracusefan.com

SU-Tennessee 1998 video

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
Whole game is on youtube. I just remember the crowd being electric this game. Walking into the dome, people were crazy. Got really loud quite a few times. Not as loud as when McNabb was announced on Senior Day against Miami, or against Virginia Tech the same year, but pretty loud nonetheless.

Anyone remember that after this game the huge Labor Day storm came through, and most people didn't have electricity for SU's next game at the Big House? That year may not have lived up to expectations, but they played some great games.

And who can forget the "equipment violation" calls in the game against Tennessee, and the BS pass interference?

1st Half:

2nd Half:

Thanks for making me lose my breakfast, lol. That pass interference call was total BS as you stated. Lovely SEC officials hosed SU that game.

That Tenn team was probably the worst National Championship Team ever. They had lady luck on their side a lot that season.

Someone also has the first quarter of the Wisconsin Kickoff classic up and he promises to post the rest soon. I forgot how great it was to have the National announcers and ABC coverage, god I hope we get that soon.

It would be incredible if we had another FB with that type of versatility. Adam Harris please step up

I just Googled Syracuse vs. Wisconsin, and I noticed the name of the guy who uploaded the first video (which is on YouTube as Syracuse 34 Wisconsin 0 -- 1997 Kickoff Classic (part 2)) is Matt Baniewicz...any chance that's Mark's brother?

Another thing - this is the first time I've seen it since it happened, but did anyone else notice that our first TD against Tennessee is, as far as I can tell, the exact same play that we ran to beat Va Tech that same year?

Another thing - this is the first time I've seen it since it happened, but did anyone else notice that our first TD against Tennessee is, as far as I can tell, the exact same play that we ran to beat Va Tech that same year?
It was the same play. Almost exactly, but it was at the opposite end of the field.

Losing contain on Tee Martin is what lost the game when could have stopped them with three point lead. The energy as the 4th. It wasn't Byrds PI, which was correct, just called very late. The equipment BS by the SEC was absolute garbage. Plus the Konrad fumble in the second qtr. at 7-7 on our own 14 was not and then they made up some BS defensive hold that gave them first and goal after Bulluck ran down Martin with what would be a 15 yard Horse-collar today. But it gave them the lead going into the half.

It was the same play. Almost exactly, but it was at the opposite end of the field.

Losing contain on Tee Martin is what lost the game when could have stopped them with three point lead. The energy as the 4th. It wasn't Byrds PI, which was correct, just called very late. The equipment BS by the SEC was absolute garbage. Plus the Konrad fumble in the second qtr. at 7-7 on our own 14 was not and then they made up some BS defensive hold that gave them first and goal after Bulluck ran down Martin with what would be a 15 yard Horse-collar today. But it gave them the lead going into the half.

Byrd's PI wasn't correct. And it was called by a ref that was 30 yards away from the action in the wrong spot to call it. The line judge right next to the play didn't call it.

I think they called the horse collar, just not with the language. They called holding and personal foul on that play, which is why they had the ball at the 1. The end of that first half was the perfect storm of crap. Of all people to fumble at that spot..better off taking a knee, UT had already burned at least 1 timeout.

Wait, I thought that it was Will Allen who was called for the decisive PI?

Wait, I thought that it was Will Allen who was called for the decisive PI?

The play is at the 1:13 mark 4th and 7. 1:48 remaining. Both Byrd and Allen could have been called for it. Byrd I think was ok but you might be right about the flag actually being thrown on #25. This is the first time I have re-watched that game, and for some reason I had it in my mind as #22 was the one called. I was in 329 BB that day, just checked the stub. Pretty good line of sight down to that play.

We still could have won after that with another stop. The three plays after that call were 11 yd. run by Jamal Lewis, 16 yards slant beating Will Allen by Peerless Price. and an 15 yard run by Lewis.

Man there were a lot for future NFLer's in that game on both sides.

Thanks for the memory. Got married that day, made sure the wedding was late in the afternoon, so I could watch the game.
My best man was getting excited in the 4th quarter since his only job was to get me to the church on time "We gotta go, We gotta go now!"
Dude - we can't leave now, might as well set the parameters for the marriage right off the bat!

As a result, never has my SU fan watching been criticized in my marriage. Questioned, as when I stood in a rainy Georgia Tech stadium and watched us lose 0-56 or whatever, but never criticized.

Byrd's PI wasn't correct. And it was called by a ref that was 30 yards away from the action in the wrong spot to call it. The line judge right next to the play didn't call it.
Does it really matter who called it? It was PI. The uniform violations were BS though.

Tennessee was hands down the better team especially up front. Cuse just happened to have the best single player on the field - by far. I think relative to the competition that was Donovan’s best performance as an Orangeman. He was unbelievable that day.

Last edited:
Just watched the 1H, beyond a fraud what these refs did

I was there and have never watched this game

this is just plain cheating from Southern officials

I may not watch 2H

The one play I wish we could have back: 9:34 left in the 4th quarter, up 27-24, Tennessee had the ball 3rd and 10. Tee Martin breaks containment and leisurely jogs for about 50 yards, and then Phil Nash loses his mind and does a UFC takedown of Martin out of bounds for another 15 yards. If we make a stop on that possession I really think we win that game.

Just watched the 1H, beyond a fraud what these refs did

I was there and have never watched this game

this is just plain cheating from Southern officials

I may not watch 2H

I was second row in that game, student section, it was my freshman year.

I hate complaining about refs, but this game was terrible with them.

With all that said, we had enough opportunities to win... If we had won this game and then smashed UM at their place, I can't even imagine what we would have been ranked.

Granted, the NCSU and WVU games that year were crap, but the hype would have been insane if we won the first two out of the gate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom