SU trying to trademark "Orange" | Syracusefan.com

SU trying to trademark "Orange"

Can someone provide some backstory here...

When we changed our name from Orangemen, was it bacuase of social/media pressure becuase of it being racist (redskins anyone?), or was it because the local oneida/onandaga indian nation were legitly not cool with it. Or was it a branding thing? I know all our teams used to have their own logo etc. Anyone know the real reason for the change?

When we changed our name from Orangemen, was it bacuase of social/media pressure becuase of it being racist (redskins anyone?), or was it because the local oneida/onandaga indian nation were legitly not cool with it. Or was it a branding thing? I know all our teams used to have their own logo etc. Anyone know the real reason for the change?

Nike told us to.

http://www.suathletics.com/news/2004/5/11/newlogo2004.aspx?path=mbasket

It had nothing to do with skin color. There are no people with Orange skin. I believe it was a gender thing with the administration wanting to brand all our men and women as one, thus the Orange! Fyi, worst idea ever.

It had nothing to do with skin color. There are no people with Orange skin. I believe it was a gender thing with the administration wanting to brand all our men and women as one, thus the Orange! Fyi, worst idea ever.
oops. i forgot about the tanning mom. She was wicked offended.
78452_story__Untitled-15.jpg

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the original connotation of "Orangemen" is with the Orange Order, a Dutch/Scottish/Irish protestant organization. Because the Order was and is associated with violence in Northern Ireland, the Saltine Warrior was brought in as a more politically correct alternative. When that backfired, fruit became the terror from upstate. I think Otto needs a kilt, cause the Order still knows how to tailgate: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2013/jul/13/belfast-orange-order-march-violence-video

orangemen had ZERO to do with protestant groups -
su marketing dept hasnt been worth a shnit since it was created - we changed our colors to orange and never used nickname- we became the orangemen by defualt

orangemen had ZERO to do with protestant groups -
su marketing dept hasnt been worth a shnit since it was created - we changed our colors to orange and never used nickname- we became the orangemen by defualt

OK, I stand corrected. Syracuse was founded as a protestant university, but the Orange Order had nothing to do with it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syracuse_University#Founding

I still think Otto needs a kilt, at least for the Notre Dame games.

Um, this is untrue. Ever see a redhead with a fake tan?

This is the correct answer!!!!
As a female, I have to say I liked Orangemen. I don't like Orange. I was NOT insulted by our name. Sort of like the mailman. But I have a mailwoman. No one has changed her designation that I know of. Or maybe they have by postal worker. But we all talk about the mailman.

Has Miami trademarked "The U"? We ought to file for that one too, just to peeve them off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom