SU up to #4 in Big East power rankings | Syracusefan.com

SU up to #4 in Big East power rankings

#4 with a bullet.. if UL takes care of business and we do to.

i still think its head to head first even in a 3 way tie.

But if we beat Louisville and they beat rut and all 3 end up in a tie 6-1, doesn't the highest ranking go to the Orange?

So how do the tie breakers in the Big East work? Is it head to head? I am too lazy to look it up. Just trying to imagine a scenario where SU RU and Lville all end up with one loss (is that even possible?)

rutgers will lose two games so that wont matter
I don't know about that. Louisville could beat them. Other than that, their remaining schedule looks pretty manageable to me.

If there's a 2-way tie for 1st place, then it's head-to-head. If it's a 3-way tie, then it becomes a "mini conference." So if 1 team was 2-0 vs. the others then they get the BCS bid. If everybody is 1-1 in the mini conference then you go to BCS ranking as the final tiebreaker. We would almost certainly lose that tiebreaker. So Rutgers needs to lose twice.

we had them beat, temple had the ball and was ready to go up 17-0 when they imploded, tulane had the ball with a chance to go ahead late when they threw the int that changed the game. USF had the ball twice in the 4th with the game in the balance and daniels threw 6 inc in a row. Ark had the ball with a shot to tie mid fourth. uconn had the ball at the 40 in the 3rd with a chance to go ahead and went backwards..

they have dodged a ton of bullets against marginal teams who made tons of mistakes and still had shots to win the games. can they do that 5 more times? well really three more times with the kent/army due up.. I think @cinci/@pitt they lose at least one.

lets have a winning streak before we start dreaming of winning out in conference
Haha we did this last year too. I remember having this very same discussion of going to a BCS bowl and then...well we know what happened.

we had them beat, temple had the ball and was ready to go up 17-0 when they imploded, tulane had the ball with a chance to go ahead late when they threw the int that changed the game. USF had the ball twice in the 4th with the game in the balance and daniels threw 6 inc in a row. Ark had the ball with a shot to tie mid fourth. uconn had the ball at the 40 in the 3rd with a chance to go ahead and went backwards..

they have dodged a ton of bullets against marginal teams who made tons of mistakes and still had shots to win the games. can they do that 5 more times? well really three more times with the kent/army due up.. I think @cinci/@pitt they lose at least one.

I'm just saying, it's posts like this that keep me coming back to this board.

We blew the doors off Temple. Trying to claim we dodged a bullet is crazy. I think we held them to under 50 yards in the 2nd half while we dropped 35 points on them.

Same thing with UCONN, we put a choke hold on that "offense" in the 2nd half and just ran the ball knowing they were not a threat to score many points.

We didn't dodge a bullet against Syracuse, we outplayed you. You made more mistakes and that is part of the game. As a matter of fact, if Harrison doesn't drop an absolutetly perfect pass from Nova in the 3rd, the score would have been 30-7 and the rout was on. Coleman also dropped a TD pass. Drops are part of the game. They are mistakes.

USF was a nail biter but we pulled out a road victory on an ESPN Thursday night game which only happens historically about 30% of the time.

I know you guys won't like this but here is the reality, in consecutive weeks we have played three teams that treated our game as their bowl game. UCONN had a hard on for Rutgers, Syracuse had a hard on for Rutgers and Temple had a chubby that a cat couldn't scratch. All three came out with their hair on fire and Rutgers withstood the charge and won each contest.

You guys have the best front seven we have played this year and frankly, I don't think it's close. I expect you to beat Cincy and I think you can beat Louisville without your "A" game. I'll be pulling for it.

We blew the doors off Temple. Trying to claim we dodged a bullet is crazy. I think we held them to under 50 yards in the 2nd half while we dropped 35 points on them.

Same thing with UCONN, we put a choke hold on that "offense" in the 2nd half and just ran the ball knowing they were not a threat to score many points.

We didn't dodge a bullet against Syracuse, we outplayed you. You made more mistakes and that is part of the game. As a matter of fact, if Harrison doesn't drop an absolutetly perfect pass from Nova in the 3rd, the score would have been 30-7 and the rout was on. Coleman also dropped a TD pass. Drops are part of the game. They are mistakes.

USF was a nail biter but we pulled out a road victory on an ESPN Thursday night game which only happens historically about 30% of the time.

I know you guys won't like this but here is the reality, in consecutive weeks we have played three teams that treated our game as their bowl game. UCONN had a hard on for Rutgers, Syracuse had a hard on for Rutgers and Temple had a chubby that a cat couldn't scratch. All three came out with their hair on fire and Rutgers withstood the charge and won each contest.

You guys have the best front seven we have played this year and frankly, I don't think it's close. I expect you to beat Cincy and I think you can beat Louisville without your "A" game. I'll be pulling for it.

Just a thought AK... if you were truly confident about how well your team has played and who they have beaten, then why do you feel so compelled to validate your legitimacy when you find posts like these? Other than that, you did make some very good points in your post.

Good Post AK, game is often decided by who makes the least amount of mistakes. Hard to argue with anything you said.

Correction, SU is the best team you have played all season. Learn how to have more than one drive a game against a decent team.

I think this speaks more to how awful the Big East is than anything else.

You dodged a bullet against Syracuse. One lucky play on an UNFORCED fumble was the difference in the score. Syracuse far outplayed Rutgers, or perhaps the official stats are merely lies. Keep the faith with Nova, just like the QB carousel that has been the trademark of Rutgers over the last few years, he's on the same level as any of the others.

I cannot wait to be in the ACC so that, hopefully, Rutgers fans will stop obsessing over us and thinking they actually matter and register on our radar.

It was 17-7 after that freak FG block and turnover...I'll admit Rutgers blocks kicks often enough it's not totally freak...

But then, we had all the offensive momentum and they gave Rutgers the non-fumble...that is luck when a replay official either consciously or mistakenly awards the ball to one team when it should go the other way (wasn't close btw)

So, 17-7 with the ball vs 23-7 after a bad call, highly misleading post but understandable as a fan

You dodged a bullet against Syracuse. One lucky play on an UNFORCED fumble was the difference in the score. Syracuse far outplayed Rutgers, or perhaps the official stats are merely lies. Keep the faith with Nova, just like the QB carousel that has been the trademark of Rutgers over the last few years, he's on the same level as any of the others.

Let me ask you a question, do you think the offensive and defensive game plans remain the same regardless of the score in a game? Stats are for Fantasy Football guys. We were up 16 and sat on a lead. We often dropped 8 men back in coverage and dared Nassib to beat us. Keep everything in front of you, make them use clock and wait for a mistake. We've pretty much done the same thing all year.

As for Nova, you are out of your mind if you think Marrone wouldn't give a kidney to have Nova as his starter next year. I think his record as a college starter is something like 13-2 and this year he has thrown 15 TD's and 3 INT's.

Let me ask you a question, do you think the offensive and defensive game plans remain the same regardless of the score in a game? Stats are for Fantasy Football guys. We were up 16 and sat on a lead. We often dropped 8 men back in coverage and dared Nassib to beat us. Keep everything in front of you, make them use clock and wait for a mistake. We've pretty much done the same thing all year.

As for Nova, you are out of your mind if you think Marrone wouldn't give a kidney to have Nova as his starter next year. I think his record as a college starter is something like 13-2 and this year he has thrown 15 TD's and 3 INT's.

I actually agree with you outside the Nova stuff.

But we're leaving, ACC, bye, no one cares or should.

I hope Flood and Rice find jobs in bigtime conferences soon.

Las Vegas currently disagrees with you.

When does your fine University start playing teams with winning records? A fan base with any dignity is off the rails pissed at these continually disgraceful schedules your AD has historically played.

THe fact of the matter is we have no clue if Rutgers is a top 10 team, a top 25 team, or a top 50 team. Your schedule is that embarrassing. It seems that it's pretty easy to fool your newbie fan base who has no experience with big time college football as there seems to be little uproar.

Good luck going forward. With the weakened state of the Big East beginning next year, maybe your school will actually figure out how to win the conference one of these years. One would think that you could navigate the community colleges you will be associated beginning nxt year.