SU Wins 1-0 over #3 ASU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU Wins 1-0 over #3 ASU

I was at all of the games, except for the last one. One of the player's parents sent me updates during that game. The Orange women played really well during the 3 days of play. Yesterday, they almost beat ASU the first go around. They led most of the game, but ASU had 3 runs in the 5th inning, and we lost 3-1. But still gave them a tough game. So I was not at all surprised with the win against them this afternoon.

Here are the highlights of the 3 days of games. In order of play, not accomplishment.
1. On Friday, in the first game against Long Beach St., Lisaira Daniels had an in-the-park home run. I got a big hug from her after the game, when I congratulated her. According to her mother she will be a graduate assistant on the team next season, while pursuing a masters degree. Her younger sister, Shirley, is also on the team.
2. Jenna Caira pitched unbelievably in each of the 5 games. Especially in the win over ASU today. She pitched a lot of innings over the 3 days.
3. In the Saturday night game against Long Beach St. Jasmine Watson hit a homerun that was the talk of Tempe last night and all day today. It may have been the longest home run hit in the history of the ASU Farrington softball stadium. (That is according to ASU). Cleared 2 fenced areas, a dirt parking area, and hit a building in the distance. Would have been out of any MLB park in the country. All of the ASU fans talked about it today everytime she came up to bat.

Today was well over 100 degrees. I think around 105. I am sure that ASU had more experience with the heat, altho I saw absolutley no signs that the Orange women struggled with it at all in the 3 days. The fans on the other hand were struggling. I saw a couple of people being bought out with heat exhaustion.

As someone who recently relocated from NJ to AZ, I was excited to see a Syracuse team out here. I was spoiled when I lived in NJ with all of the opportunities I had to see SU sports there.

Also the coach had a number of players at the game who used to play for her at Bowling Green, and now live in AZ. Saturday night, we had a nice turn out of our alums at the game.

Yep, great effort and great year. Got to give the Arizona State pitcher her due though. She was actually the better pitcher in both games.

Cheers,
Neil
Don't forget, the arizona st pitcher didn't have to face the ASU line up. Much better than ours.

Great effort by 'Cuse women...by far the best softball team 'Cuse has fielded. At least for a evening took most of the football and conference bs and placed it in its rightful place...nearly out of mind.

I was at all of the games, except for the last one. One of the player's parents sent me updates during that game. The Orange women played really well during the 3 days of play. Yesterday, they almost beat ASU the first go around. They led most of the game, but ASU had 3 runs in the 5th inning, and we lost 3-1. But still gave them a tough game. So I was not at all surprised with the win against them this afternoon.

Here are the highlights of the 3 days of games. In order of play, not accomplishment.
1. On Friday, in the first game against Long Beach St., Lisaira Daniels had an in-the-park home run. I got a big hug from her after the game, when I congratulated her. According to her mother she will be a graduate assistant on the team next season, while pursuing a masters degree. Her younger sister, Shirley, is also on the team.
2. Jenna Caira pitched unbelievably in each of the 5 games. Especially in the win over ASU today. She pitched a lot of innings over the 3 days.
3. In the Saturday night game against Long Beach St. Jasmine Watson hit a homerun that was the talk of Tempe last night and all day today. It may have been the longest home run hit in the history of the ASU Farrington softball stadium. (That is according to ASU). Cleared 2 fenced areas, a dirt parking area, and hit a building in the distance. Would have been out of any MLB park in the country. All of the ASU fans talked about it today everytime she came up to bat.

Today was well over 100 degrees. I think around 105. I am sure that ASU had more experience with the heat, altho I saw absolutley no signs that the Orange women struggled with it at all in the 3 days. The fans on the other hand were struggling. I saw a couple of people being bought out with heat exhaustion.

As someone who recently relocated from NJ to AZ, I was excited to see a Syracuse team out here. I was spoiled when I lived in NJ with all of the opportunities I had to see SU sports there.

Also the coach had a number of players at the game who used to play for her at Bowling Green, and now live in AZ. Saturday night, we had a nice turn out of our alums at the game.
Thanks so much for that report. This is the first I heard about the home run being such a bomb. Were you one of the people behind the SU dugout Saturday night chanting "Let's Go Orange?" Do you know Kyle Fetterley the SU equipment manager? I thought I heard his voice saying, "Go Cuse" throughout the game. How many SU fans would you say were in attendance? I met Lisaira's mom during the season on a chilly spring evening at the softball stadium. I lent her my SU blanket as she had just arrived from Atlanta where it was 82, it was around 42 here with gusting winds.

Thanks so much for that report. This is the first I heard about the home run being such a bomb. Were you one of the people behind the SU dugout Saturday night chanting "Let's Go Orange?" Do you know Kyle Fetterley the SU equipment manager? I thought I heard his voice saying, "Go Cuse" throughout the game. How many SU fans would you say were in attendance? I met Lisaira's mom during the season on a chilly spring evening at the softball stadium. I lent her my SU blanket as she had just arrived from Atlanta where it was 82, it was around 42 here with gusting winds.
Yes, I was in that group. I got all of the Orange fans to sit together, by going around the stadium before the game and bringing them over to our section. We sat with the families in the next section so our "Let's Go Orange" had a good group of fans going.
I don't know the equipment manager, but one of the fans in our section was vocal the whole game, and had a large voice, so maybe you heard him. He was saying "Go Cuse" a lot.
During the day, I was pretty much the only fan there. It was very, very hot. I joked with the parents that the alums came out for the night game, because we know better than to sit in that heat!!

Just a question about that home run of Jasmine's. Did you ever hear how many feet the ball traveled before it hit something? The reason that I ask is that in Big East play SU used the Wilson A9010 Beast which is a limited flight, compression controlled center with a .47 core. I'm assuming that is the same ball used throughout women's college softball.

The thin air in Arizona would no doubt allow the ball to perform differently than in Central NY. I went to every home game this spring & the past fall, except the two games played at the Dome. The longest home runs I saw were in the 230-240 range.

I was involved in slo-pitch softball for four decades. In the 70's the balls were very soft, we called them mush balls. Only a few guys with legit power could hit them over 300 foot fences. Those guys, with the exception of one, all played in the major leagues at one time. They usually stood 6-3 or better.

In the 80's a new ball was introduced which had a core of .52, it came off aluminum bats like a golf ball. Midway through the first season those balls they were outlawed in league play. The league then dropped down to a .50 core ball. That reduced the amount of home runs but some guys who shouldn't have, still hit them over the fence. Presently they are using .47 core balls much like SU uses. Some guys still hit them out but those that shouldn't usually don't unless there is a strong tail wind and they are using the most juiced bats available.

In the 90's we played an exhibition game at Mac Arthur stadium against a high major ball club. They brought .54 core softballs for the exhibition which took place before the Syracuse Chief's played the Rochester Red Wings. My team had 1 home run that went over the 365 mark, high up the light tower. Another one of my players hit a line drive that dented the fence at 345. Another guy hit one just short of the warning track in dead center where the fence was 434 feet from home plate. Rochester hit 4 home runs and beat us 11-10.

Sorry for digressing. Getting back to my original question, was there a strong wind blowing out when Watson hit the home run. I know in their first game against Long Beach State the wind was blowing out pretty strong but there were no homers.

Thanks again for the on-sight reports. Your story about Jasmine's HR is bound to make her a legend in Tempe, Long Beach and Syracuse University.

Just a question about that home run of Jasmine's. Did you ever hear how many feet the ball traveled before it hit something? The reason that I ask is that in Big East play SU used the Wilson A9010 Beast which is a limited flight, compression controlled center with a .47 core. I'm assuming that is the same ball used throughout women's college softball.

The thin air in Arizona would no doubt allow the ball to perform differently than in Central NY. I went to every home game this spring & the past fall, except the two games played at the Dome. The longest home runs I saw were in the 230-240 range.

I was involved in slo-pitch softball for four decades. In the 70's the balls were very soft, we called them mush balls. Only a few guys with legit power could hit them over 300 foot fences. Those guys, with the exception of one, all played in the major leagues at one time. They usually stood 6-3 or better.

In the 80's a new ball was introduced which had a core of .52, it came off aluminum bats like a golf ball. Midway through the first season those balls they were outlawed in league play. The league then dropped down to a .50 core ball. That reduced the amount of home runs but some guys who shouldn't have, still hit them over the fence. Presently they are using .47 core balls much like SU uses. Some guys still hit them out but those that shouldn't usually don't unless there is a strong tail wind and they are using the most juiced bats available.

In the 90's we played an exhibition game at Mac Arthur stadium against a high major ball club. They brought .54 core softballs for the exhibition which took place before the Syracuse Chief's played the Rochester Red Wings. My team had 1 home run that went over the 365 mark, high up the light tower. Another one of my players hit a line drive that dented the fence at 345. Another guy hit one just short of the warning track in dead center where the fence was 434 feet from home plate. Rochester hit 4 home runs and beat us 11-10.

Sorry for digressing. Getting back to my original question, was there a strong wind blowing out when Watson hit the home run. I know in their first game against Long Beach State the wind was blowing out pretty strong but there were no homers.

Thanks again for the on-sight reports. Your story about Jasmine's HR is bound to make her a legend in Tempe, Long Beach and Syracuse University.
I don't know how far it was to the building. The SU athletic website had the info about it hitting the building. My husband did say that it would be out of the park in most MLB ball parks. It was in the deepest part of the field, and then travelled quite a bit past that. Obviously,it went over the batting cage area, a fenced in walking path around the stadium, and norrow dirt parking area, and then the building. It was all lit, so I am sure they saw it hit there. If there was wind, it was outside the stadium. Even the wind for Friday's Long Beach game game was much more noticeable outside the stadium. All I know is that on Sunday, it was the talk of the Tempe fans. And considering the quality of teams that come in there, that says something in of itself. They were joking that it had not landed yet, etc.

From suathletics.com:
"Watson then provided the heroics as she absolutely crushed the offering from Erin Jones-Wesley over the left field fence. Watson’s shots was documented as one of the longest home runs in Farrington Stadium history as her ball cleared two fences and hit the gymnastics building on the other side of the dirt lot."

From suathletics.com:
"Watson then provided the heroics as she absolutely crushed the offering from Erin Jones-Wesley over the left field fence. Watson’s shots was documented as one of the longest home runs in Farrington Stadium history as her ball cleared two fences and hit the gymnastics building on the other side of the dirt lot."
OK now I have something to go on. I'd like to get a number on how far it went, it will be, I'm sure, a topic of conversation during fall ball.