SU/Yankees 4-year deal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU/Yankees 4-year deal

I don't work for SU anymore, and frankly, I'd say exactly the same thing I post here to those same people in charge, if ever given the chance again. In fact, I've tried to offer help. Falls on deaf ears.

I see. So you have seen the data then? You think it hasn't enhanced the college's image in the NYC/tri-state area? Our presence in the city hasn't made SU an attractive commodity for, say, the ACC? From an Admissions standpoint, it hasn't helped increase application numbers from the area?

Maybe people are right. Maybe this is stubborn old Darryl Gross continuing to pour money into a failing marketing program in NYC and the powers-that-be at SU are letting it all happen. I'd like to think that a school like SU has enough smart people in high-up positions that they wouldn't continue to throw thousands upon thousands of dollars into something if there are no tangible results from it.

The ACC likes it! Building the SU brand in NYC is key to our media appeal.

We got a winner. Its the reason why TGD, despite the horrendous Grob hire, should be lauded for realizing right after he walked through the door that he needed to closely tie his University to the NYC media market. It was obvious to me once he implemented the Orange in the Apple campaign that he was positioning his University for the next round of expansion. ACC folks bought it hook, line, and sinker. Result: ACC.

They could have bought a sign at Citi Field, but then nobody would ever see it. ;)
B@stard! Those signs can be seen on many of the flights in and out of JFK...

Anyone else find it ironic that we now have signage in a baseball stadium when we have no baseball team?

I don't know. Turning Stone has signs in the Dome, and SU doesn't have any slot machines.

But did you take a class from Mr. Excitement? Did you attend a board tailgate to find out who is going to be on the starting DLine?

Didn't think so.

Just wait til the team starts winning. That is the plan... Right... RIGHT?

/snark

(Y'all see how I'm using this "/" thingy? I'm so Web 3.0)
I haven't taken a class with Mr. Excitement, and I don't attend board tailgates for my info.

It's all about brand recognition. Why not align your brand with arguably the most storied sports franchise in the country? I'm really not sure how this can be looked at as a bad thing. Are there more things that could be done in Syracuse? Sure. But this is still a smart move, and one that is fairly uncommon in the college sports landscape.

Cuse need to pick it up in recruiting, period. Otherwise any advertising, name recognition, etc etc is for not. That simple. Want asses in the seats, bring in a player who is worthy of wearing the #44 and start winning some games with some enthusiasm. I thought we broke through last year with that WV game, but then we fell apart. Point is DM just didn't have the talent to put out there.

You have no idea what you're talking about, brother. This is a HUGE waste of money...just like the taxi top ads. No matter how much TGD tells people we're NY's college team, no one is going to believe it because of an ad. Further, no one is going to see these ads and buy a ticket they weren't going to otherwise.

The money they spend on this crap could go a long way in doing things that matter and actually put asses in the seats. Hell, I bet you the cost of temporary paint for the hash tages would be less than this deal. There's the money for ya.

Unless the talks with YES about a partnership have picked up and this buy was part of us getting them to the table, this is a huge #fail. What else is new.
Mets fan?

Brother? Who are you, hulk hogan?

Getting your name on TV 81 times a year on the number 1 regional sports network in the largest media market seems like a good thing to me. Better than painting the hashtags in the Dome that would be seen on TV a couple times.

Cuse need to pick it up in recruiting, period. Otherwise any advertising, name recognition, etc etc is for not. That simple. Want asses in the seats, bring in a player who is worthy of wearing the #44 and start winning some games with some enthusiasm. I thought we broke through last year with that WV game, but then we fell apart. Point is DM just didn't have the talent to put out there.

Yep, lets just bring him in. Shouldn't be too difficult. :bang:

Solid move on Docs part same as playing a marque game in the big apple. He knows what he is doing as far as the money goes it is chump change .

I haven't taken a class with Mr. Excitement, and I don't attend board tailgates for my info.

Don't take these as personal attacks. In hindsight, I see that it comes off that way. I'm speaking to a larger group.

It's all about brand recognition. Why not align your brand with arguably the most storied sports franchise in the country? I'm really not sure how this can be looked at as a bad thing. Are there more things that could be done in Syracuse? Sure. But this is still a smart move, and one that is fairly uncommon in the college sports landscape.

Because it's something that Syracuse is involved in, ergo, someone needs to complain about it incessantly no matter what.

I'd have an easier time understanding this if the school owned its broadcast rights, a la the Big 10 conference or Texas, and therefore benefited from higher ratings. Since they don't, or only indirectly benefit along with other conference members, it seems like money would be better spent closer to home trying to put fannies in the seats at the Dome.

You have no idea what you're talking about, brother. This is a HUGE waste of money...just like the taxi top ads. No matter how much TGD tells people we're NY's college team, no one is going to believe it because of an ad. Further, no one is going to see these ads and buy a ticket they weren't going to otherwise.

The money they spend on this crap could go a long way in doing things that matter and actually put asses in the seats. Hell, I bet you the cost of temporary paint for the hash tages would be less than this deal. There's the money for ya.

Unless the talks with YES about a partnership have picked up and this buy was part of us getting them to the table, this is a huge #fail. What else is new.

"New York's college team" is not just about NYC, it's the entire state, and this is another platform to get the message out through out the state. There are an awful lot of upstate NY sports fans watching those Yankee games all summer. That signage isn't focused on selling tickets, this is about brand building.

The simple fact is that SU is the only major conference program in NYS, and SU keeps hammering that message. That's a good thing.

Because it's something that Syracuse is involved in, ergo, someone needs to complain about it incessantly no matter what.

Let's see, the proposed shape of the practice facility, signage in yankee stadium, the SNY deal, Marrone, Nassib, the offense, closing practice, and that's just this week.

"That signage isn't focused on selling tickets, this is about brand building.

The simple fact is that SU is the only major conference program in NYS, and SU keeps hammering that message. That's a good thing.

Exactly. It's not about selling tickets, this is about branding and getting your name out there; and in Yankee Stadium it's going to be seen by a heck of a lot of people.

It's a great idea.

Yanks/Angels ESPN tonight.

Exactly. It's not about selling tickets, this is about branding and getting your name out there; and in Yankee Stadium it's going to be seen by a heck of a lot of people.

It's a great idea.

Yanks/Angels ESPN tonight.

And staring in mid August how often will Michael Kay happen to be talking about his friend the coach at Syracuse that will be playing preseason #1/2/3 USC in the Meadowlands in early September as they shoot a close up of that sign. A Syracuse team that has a lot of NYC players on it.

And staring in mid August how often will Michael Kay happen to be talking about his friend the coach at Syracuse that will be playing preseason #1/2/3 USC in the Meadowlands in early September as they shoot a close up of that sign. A Syracuse team that has a lot of NYC players on it.

The placement of the ad couldn't have been better except maybe if it was behind home plate or on the wall like the Canon ad. Everytime there's a left field homer or foul ball or play in left field people watching on TV are going to see the Syracuse name. Are you kidding me, this is a homerun.

thanks for the pic Sherm:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1334429428-746963-jpg.783

Anyone remember the brilliant Avis campaign "We're # 2, but we try harder"? They knew they couldn't catch Hertz, but the campaign worked by convincing the public that they were Hertz's chief competitor. In a nutshell, they proclaimed themselves # 2 & the public bought it.

I think SU as NYC's team is the Avis strategy. The truth at this point matters little if the motion gains public acceptance. I'm not even sure that the target audience is NYC. It could very well be the rest of the country.

I'm all for the perception is reality strategy. It beats the hell out of the typical Upstate bitch, complain, & bemoan strategy. (And I say this as a native Syracusan who lives here & loves the place.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is better advertising than a hashtag in the endzone... At least people will be at Yankee Stadium to see it.

I think that more than just the people in Yankee Stadium will get to see this. Um, there's this thing called television, and another thing called cable, and let's just say it reaches millions and millions of people. (j/k, cuz)

And it's right on the foul line, where the camera will go for many homeruns this year. Imprints. Helps our brand awareness. Probably cost too much, but for 4 years, it's great advertising. Get the NYC alumni even more engaged. Open some new wallets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom