Subbing patterns | Syracusefan.com

Subbing patterns

wiCuse

Walk On
Long time lurker on the forum. I feel one item that isn't getting enough discussion is Boeheim's subbing patterns (or lack there of). Anyone notice that our 1st half subbing patterns are like clockwork over the past few years? To date the starters always play until the 12min mark in the first half and we know how things work in the 2nd half. Mixing and matching subbing patterns (maybe go big at guard with Swider) might be one of the only things that can be done this season with the lack of athleticism.

Long time lurker on the forum. I feel one item that isn't getting enough discussion is Boeheim's subbing patterns (or lack there of). Anyone notice that our 1st half subbing patterns are like clockwork over the past few years? To date the starters always play until the 12min mark in the first half and we know how things work in the 2nd half. Mixing and matching subbing patterns (maybe go big at guard with Swider) might be one of the only things that can be done this season with the lack of athleticism.
Swider at the 2 and who exactly at the pt? I don't see how that helps us.

Play Symir or Joe at the pt. We need to get back to the days where 6'1" guards couldn't shoot over us because of our length up top. I'm not proposing starting Swider at the 2. You could play Swider at the 2 when Buddy needs a break. If Jimmy is ineffective like yesterday, you could slide Buddy to the 3/4 and Swider up top. We can't keep giving up this many 3's, many were on Buddy's side yesterday.

Play Symir or Joe at the pt. We need to get back to the days where 6'1" guards couldn't shoot over us because of our length up top. I'm not proposing starting Swider at the 2. You could play Swider at the 2 when Buddy needs a break. If Jimmy is ineffective like yesterday, you could slide Buddy to the 3/4 and Swider up top. We can't keep giving up this many 3's, many were on Buddy's side yesterday.
As bad as our guards are on defense, I actually think our forwards, including Cole, are worse. Or at least as bad. And Buddy at the 3 just doesn't work. We already get murdered on the boards.

I’m not sure what JB can or will do, but he usually finds a way to optimize the lineup. The fact that he has NEVER had a losing season might be the single most incredible accomplishment on his HOF resume.

History aside, I don’t see a lot of options. But I would like to see Jesse and Buddy become the focal point of the offense. They need to play inside out, force teams to double Jesse, and kick out for 3s. Jesse is an answer, I think.

JG needs to spend less time on the floor against pressure teams. This is inevitable IMO. When Sym is on the floor you must have 4 other guys that can score.

I would like to see minutes with Swider at the 2 and Buddy at the 1 even against pressure. It can’t be any less effective than JG backing his way up the floor and will create mismatches. Would make the zone really big at top and maybe make high post entry more difficult. We struggle to cover 3s as is, maybe concentrate on covering the middle of the floor more?

Were just not there yet. Usually, we have the luxury to hit them with 75% of what we got and keep rotating it. At the 12-10 minute mark hit them with our best, and play fast up and down late in the half. My biggest concern, we let teams shoot around 50% 9 out of the last 12 halfs against us, and rebounding is not consistant. Agree with Jessie scoring, but Cole has to start, he should be in the 14-19 shot range with Buddy.

Last edited:
No matter what combination we have on the floor our ball handling will be average/below average this year. We might as well get as much length on the court for defense and find the match up that can bring the ball up. This shouldn't compromise offense.

No matter what combination we have on the floor our ball handling will be average/below average this year. We might as well get as much length on the court for defense and find the match up that can bring the ball up. This shouldn't compromise offense.
Dribbling is overrated.:confused:
Go with:
Buddy
Cole
Benny
Frank
Jesse

Last edited:
As bad as our guards are on defense, I actually think our forwards, including Cole, are worse. Or at least as bad. And Buddy at the 3 just doesn't work. We already get murdered on the boards.
Playing F in JBs zone is the most demanding position without question. Our Fs know where to be, but lack quickness. Not a lot of options, but maybe the emphasis should be more on defending the interior.

Symir / Buddy
Bennie / Jessie / Cole

is my preference because I think it’s the only one that can eventually form into lineup that can play defense.

I don’t think it really matters though.

Start ajax Frank and Benny, don't worry about any defense, and just have them rebound for the first 4 minutes. Just Kidding.

Playing F in JBs zone is the most demanding position without question. Our Fs know where to be, but lack quickness. Not a lot of options, but maybe the emphasis should be more on defending the interior.
100% agree. And I include that to up top. Lets pack it in and get rebounds and stop the interior pass to the foul line. If people hit their 3's. so be it. the way we are going, they were going to get open anyway so let's at least stop the pass to the foul line and stop rebound after rebound going to the other team.

100% agree. And I include that to up top. Lets pack it in and get rebounds and stop the interior pass to the foul line. If people hit their 3's. so be it. the way we are going, they were going to get open anyway so let's at least stop the pass to the foul line and stop rebound after rebound going to the other team.
It seems to make sense. By trying to cover with traditional rotations we are giving up the 3s and exposing the interior. I would make a similar shift at top and have the weak side guard defend the high post entry.

Symir, Frank, and Benny can never be on the court again together. That’s why we fell behind yesterday.
Agree. Need to adjust the subbing pattern in the 1st half. This combination together has hurt us in all of our losses.

I also feel we need length up top to prevent the entry pass to the foul line.

Comparing Symir to Griffin, their frame is pretty similar. I wonder if Symir could cover ground at the 3, and if he can jump high enough to rebound standing still. I remember Jim saying he is really quick for a guard preseason, we won't be seeing that at guard, maybe forward. Edwards is the best player, but if I could have 2 of any player on this team this year, it would be Cole.

Last edited:
Agree. Need to adjust the subbing pattern in the 1st half. This combination together has hurt us in all of our losses.

I also feel we need length up top to prevent the entry pass to the foul line.
The rotation is going to tighten

Dribbling is overrated.:confused:
Go with:
Buddy
Cole
Benny
Frank/Ajax
Jesse

1000 turnovers, but if it didn't, Frank running high screens and flying to the offensive boards, while Benny focuses on getting back to stop transition would be kinda fun to watch. 3rd forward is without doubt our biggest deficiency.

Last edited:
JB will respond, this is Cole's first year here, it takes 2 years to learn 1 position in the zone, so we dont have the time to teach him 2 positions

Cole and, Benny cover ground much better than anyone. Try putting Benny uptop some on Jimmy's side, and pray we can handle the ball.

Boeheim is clearly going to do what Boeheim does. After half the team left after last season and we have this constructed team (on purpose), I stopped trying to make sense of nonsense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom