substitution philosophy | Syracusefan.com

substitution philosophy

stuckinbig11

All American
I often wonder which reason is in JB's head when he makes each substitution

a. Winning--we all know JB plays to win, so getting the right players on the court for any given situation is obvious.
b. Foul trouble--obvious.
c. Teaching moment--getting a player off the court to explain what he is doing wrong.
d. Punishment--getting a player off the court because he repeatedly does what he has been told no to do.
e. Not playing well--sometimes guys have bad games.
Testing combinations--with an enlarged roster, a gimme game presents an opportunity to try new things.
g. Playing a hunch--trying a player based on instinct at he moment.
h. Other reasons?

Each opponent and each game is different, so reasons vary by game, but a and b are always in play.
Last night, I think he tried , at least in the first half. c and d may have come into play also. Hughes faced e. Several faced c and d.

Thoughts?

computers-internet-website-online-online_surveys-questionnaires-rmun48_low.jpg

wish we had coherent philosophy sums it up best.

effective substitution pattern isn't only about numbers. (altho we had 3 of the top 5 minutes played last year) it's about giving rest and wise council to your starters and developing bench talent for the future.

I would like to know why he put Buddy in last night in a close game. There is no reason for it in relation to winning a game.

buddy was reportedly highly recruited. no reason he can't match up with cornell talent.
(hope this wasn't just optics of the boeheim/boeheim thing). don't think it was.

I would like to know why he put Buddy in last night in a close game. There is no reason for it in relation to winning a game.
Because Hughes was doing nothing and the offense was stagnant? Buddy is a like for like sub for Hughes if Howard and Battle are both on the court. Also buddy hit a 3 upon entering.

Most of last nights subs were geared around finding an offense that works against their zone. We have and have always have had a terrible zone offense... we do exactly what we hope other teams will do against the zone and none of what works against our zone. Inexplicable

I often wonder which reason is in JB's head when he makes each substitution

a. Winning--we all know JB plays to win, so getting the right players on the court for any given situation is obvious.
b. Foul trouble--obvious.
c. Teaching moment--getting a player off the court to explain what he is doing wrong.
d. Punishment--getting a player off the court because he repeatedly does what he has been told no to do.
e. Not playing well--sometimes guys have bad games.
Testing combinations--with an enlarged roster, a gimme game presents an opportunity to try new things.
g. Playing a hunch--trying a player based on instinct at he moment.
h. Other reasons?

Each opponent and each game is different, so reasons vary by game, but a and b are always in play.
Last night, I think he tried , at least in the first half. c and d may have come into play also. Hughes faced e. Several faced c and d.

Thoughts?

One more:

Kris Joseph just missed a rotation somewhere, so (fill in the blank big man) has to come out for a stern talking-to.

Because Hughes was doing nothing and the offense was stagnant? Buddy is a like for like sub for Hughes if Howard and Battle are both on the court. Also buddy hit a 3 upon entering.

Most of last nights subs were geared around finding an offense that works against their zone. We have and have always have had a terrible zone offense... we do exactly what we hope other teams will do against the zone and none of what works against our zone. Inexplicable

Not to bash Buddy, but pretty sure he missed a 3 badly upon entering the game. And I guess you are talking about on offense when you say Buddy is a like for like sub for Hughes, because I saw Buddy playing up the top of the zone when he was on the floor.

Not to bash Buddy, but pretty sure he missed a 3 badly upon entering the game. And I guess you are talking about on offense when you say Buddy is a like for like sub for Hughes, because I saw Buddy playing up the top of the zone when he was on the floor.
I’m pretty sure he made one 3 as well... yes I am talking about offense. When buddy comes in battle shifts to 3?

I’m pretty sure he made one 3 as well... yes I am talking about offense. When buddy comes in battle shifts to 3?

He did make one shortly thereafter, but he was clearly nervous on the first shot. No big deal. It was his first Boeheim on Boeheim event.

After I commented on your post, I got to thinking about where Battle went, and honestly, I think he may have gone to the bench then. I need to take a look.

Had to be battle as Frank assisted him on the three pointer.

Buddy Boeheim made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Frank Howard.

Yeah my mind was foggy there. I just know Buddy never comes in for Hughes. That much is a given.

I guess that means KCSU is wrong about JB taking Battle out for a minute.

Yeah my mind was foggy there. I just know Buddy never comes in for Hughes. That much is a given.

I guess that means KCSU is wrong about JB taking Battle out for a minute.

Not surprising with that last one. Actually Battle only played 36 of the 40.

either play Buddy or sleep on the couch! End of discussion.

Speaking of Hughes .. how disinterested did he look ? He hardly even attempted any shots .. guess he’s one of “those “ guys .. explaining why someone with his talent has had the career arc he has had