Sudden Immortality: Memories from 11 NCAA Men’s Title Game OT Winners | Syracusefan.com

Sudden Immortality: Memories from 11 NCAA Men’s Title Game OT Winners

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

2009: Cody Jamieson​

Syracuse 10, Cornell 9​

What I remember…
I remember my feelings the most. That was a tough year for me personally. I had to overcome a lot to be in that position. And I probably wouldn’t have been there if it wasn’t for Sid Smith. So I just wanted to celebrate with him, and thank him for everything he did for me that year.

How it impacted my life…
I wouldn’t say scoring that goal impacted anything in my life. It is Syracuse Lacrosse, man. One of us was going to score. Maybe... giving me something to talk about at camps and clinics if I had to say something.

2009: Cody Jamieson​

Syracuse 10, Cornell 9​

What I remember…
I remember my feelings the most. That was a tough year for me personally. I had to overcome a lot to be in that position. And I probably wouldn’t have been there if it wasn’t for Sid Smith. So I just wanted to celebrate with him, and thank him for everything he did for me that year.

How it impacted my life…
I wouldn’t say scoring that goal impacted anything in my life. It is Syracuse Lacrosse, man. One of us was going to score. Maybe... giving me something to talk about at camps and clinics if I had to say something.

I was there. Absolute scenes.

This highlight video is great but incomplete. The Sid Smith check and the Abbott clear in overtime are just as important as any goal scored.

I never thought for a second that this was the final moment of true glory for this program for the foreseeable future.

I was there as well. I was sitting right in the section next to the goal for the incredible final play. Definitely the loudest crowd reaction I have ever been apart of, which is saying something having been to so many dome games. It is quite a noise when everyone involuntarily screams at the top of their lungs, which you had no choice but to do after seeing that play. Strangers hugging each other, me and my friends were all beating each other up and making a mini mosh pit in the bleachers, so loud. A great live moment in sports is a beautiful thing, mainly due to the connection to your fellow man in the stands. When it happens for your favorite team it's even better. It feels almost spiritual. I miss both Cuse performing at that level and the live lacrosse environment being that exciting. Unfortunately both have been trending in the same dark direction.

It was many years later watching how this game ended for me to truly appreciate how Syracuse managed to win that game. Also to be a Cornell fan and see how close they were and probably should have won it has to still sting pretty bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom