Sue Edson leaving SID to teach at Falk | Syracusefan.com

Sue Edson leaving SID to teach at Falk

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

In September 1990, Sue Cornelius, a recent Syracuse graduate returned to her alma mater to work in the sports information office. Thirty-four years later, Sue will walk out of the athletics facility for the last time as an employee she is joining the Falk College of Sport faculty to teach in the sport management program and will develop and lead a student experiential program for first-, second- and third-year students to gain hands on experience in sports-related organizations in the community, to set them up for their senior Capstone experience.

GVIfQgCXoAAWo6f

A long line of DO sports writers finally get their wish. Sue was a notorious foe of a lot of students, many of which have gone on to big sports writing positions and held grudges against her / the school for the unnecessary fights she picked.

Sue Edson is the best! What a professional!

So glad she will be remaining with Syracuse University

A long line of DO sports writers finally get their wish. Sue was a notorious foe of a lot of students, many of which have gone on to big sports writing positions and held grudges against her / the school for the unnecessary fights she picked.

Going to be an unpopular opinion, but this is a good thing for the athletic department.

135205i9B42EF54EDCA22A3.gif

Was this a "Sue we have an opening at the Falk School you should really consider" or "Sue we get your tired of the communications thing but can you help us out at Falk"?

Was this a "Sue we have an opening at the Falk School you should really consider" or "Sue we get your tired of the communications thing but can you help us out at Falk"?
Are those the only two scenarios?
What about, Sue: "I've been in this position a long time and a lot of people I liked are gone, but I really don't want to leave SU. I wonder if there is another position in the university that sounds interesting."
Or
Email from SU: "You are hereby reassigned within the university. Please report to the Falk school at 8:30 am on August 19th. Please see the attached positional duties for further information."

Well, the curmudgeons who were in the athletic dept for many years (Jake, Boeheim, Pasqualoni) weren't exactly the most "media friendly" folks to the newhouse students at the DO/media. We've had a generation of cranky folk on the Hill towards the media. Not saying it didn't work but Sue was part of this industrial complex at Syracuse University.

The amount of talent that has come through Syracuse University who hold grudges is staggering and hilarious. Time for new blood up there and glad it's happening with Fran, new SID, etc.

Well, the curmudgeons who were in the athletic dept for many years (Jake, Boeheim, Pasqualoni) weren't exactly the most "media friendly" folks to the newhouse students at the DO/media. We've had a generation of cranky folk on the Hill towards the media. Not saying it didn't work but Sue was part of this industrial complex at Syracuse University.

The amount of talent that has come through Syracuse University who hold grudges is staggering and hilarious. Time for new blood up there and glad it's happening with Fran, new SID, etc.
As someone who has accidentally left the Newhouse programming on ESPN radio between Steve and Paulie and Axe/Brian Higgin's shows... Someone needs to be a curmudgeon to the Newhouse students sometimes. Brutal. They'll probably go on to bigger platforms and be great, but there's some humbling and education that goes on during their time on campus and it's needed.

As someone who has accidentally left the Newhouse programming on ESPN radio between Steve and Paulie and Axe/Brian Higgin's shows... Someone needs to be a curmudgeon to the Newhouse students sometimes. Brutal. They'll probably go on to bigger platforms and be great, but there's some humbling and education that goes on during their time on campus and it's needed.
I'm sure there's a lot of that but my references to grudges were situations that never should happened and she was to blame. Lot of other people in that office never caused issues. Perhaps she's mellowed since. Admittedly, it's also a terrible, thankless job. Sometimes it's good for there to be turnover and fresh ideas in a department.

Couldn't have been easy for that department dealing with the failed tenures of GRob, Shafer, and Dino over the last 20 years. A losing program is difficult for all members of the AD that support it.
We went from cranky successful coaches/ADs to very media friendly coaches/AD who were absolutely dreadful at the day job.

Time for change on the hill though. It's good. Feel like alot of things in society need a turning over to a newer generation. Alot of the ills of college, etc are attributed to people holding on wayyyyy too long (Hello Jim Boeheim).

I'm sure there's a lot of that but my references to grudges were situations that never should happened and she was to blame. Lot of other people in that office never caused issues. Perhaps she's mellowed since. Admittedly, it's also a terrible, thankless job. Sometimes it's good for there to be turnover and fresh ideas in a department.

There are a multitude of areas in my humble opinion at Syracuse that need turnover and fresh new faces and not people who have been there and cushy for 20+ years

I think someone like Anthony DiFino, who came in and tried to change some things from a fan experience and marketing standpoint, have become frustrated with some of the older regime and the status quo.

Not blaming anyone. Just reality. Things have a tendency to get stale the longer good people are in positions for a long time.

There are a multitude of areas in my humble opinion at Syracuse that need turnover and fresh new faces and not people who have been there and cushy for 20+ years
amen. Long overdue and we'll all be better off for it. It's no surprise we improved fundraising when JW put in new outsiders. Sometimes you just need different ideas and people who are willing to break stuff and do it differently.

Sounds very newhousey

Sounds very newhousey
Probably but people wonder why guys like Thamel, Passan and many others were always edgy or a little over the top with their negative coverage of SU. Sue was the reason. A PR person should never be the reason why there’s a grudge or an issue. Good PR people have a respectful relationship with journalists even if they’re 20 and don’t always see eye to eye. Everyone has a job to do.

Now if the little snot from Newhouse does something that’s over the top, you have every right to do your job and teach them a lesson along the way. But that’s not what she did. She unnecessarily pulled access and played games with folks at the DO, causing issues that lasted a long time. I think new leadership in that department will benefit the school and the athletics department greatly.

We know at least one more, for sure. :cool:

As an aside on Sue, I saw her coach her daughter’s AAU basketball team several times and she did a pretty good job.
Maybe she should be FLJ’s top assistant.