Sue Ludwig announces retirement | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sue Ludwig announces retirement

Donna Ditota has a column posted about this today. It just sounds to me that she's tired of the grind of college basketball and wants to take some time to enjoy retirement

“I still might get into basketball at some point. Not at the college level, but who knows?,” she said. “I still love teaching young girls how to play basketball. We’ll see what opportunities come but I don’t need to work right now. I’m just thinking about relaxing and vacationing and having time for all the things I didn’t have time for.”

I just wonder with the portal and NIL leading to so much turnover, it must be exhausting for these coaches to assemble and reassemble a new team every year. Sue is a young 58, I wonder how much a factor the present state of basketball led her to step down. It sounds like she'll eventually get back in the game just not at the college level. College has got to wear you out the way it is constituted. Best wishes to her, sounds like she's content with her decision.

I just wonder with the portal and NIL leading to so much turnover, it must be exhausting for these coaches to assemble and reassemble a new team every year. Sue is a young 58, I wonder how much a factor the present state of basketball led her to step down. It sounds like she'll eventually get back in the game just not at the college level. College has got to wear you out the way it is constituted. Best wishes to her, sounds like she's content with her decision.
Difficult if you love developing players over time and being so happy when they committed. Has to wear you down, when players you’ve developed relationships with, players who you worked hard with to maximize their talent for your team - then decide to leave.

Difficult if you love developing players over time and was so happy when they committed. Has to wear you down, when players you’ve developed relationships with, players who you worked hard with to maximize their talent for your team - then decide to leave.
That was my thought also. After coaching in high school for 30 years, developing players and watching them get better is probably the fun part for her. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the most important part of college coaching in these times.

Bingo. This gig is a GRIND. 10-12 hour days, 6-7 days a week. Maybe a couple weeks off a year at best. Constant travel. And now, you have to recruit players that are already on your team. Among many, many other duties.

She retired from her day job in the Central Square district before she joined FLJ’s staff.

Good for her - is likely set up well and can coach as a hobby instead of a job.

I can verify that the current state of college sports had a big impact on this decision. It is an absolute coach killer. Until changes are made I would suspect to see more of the same in the coaching profession.

IMG_9027.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom