Summer trip scheduled (Denver --> Rapid City --> Badlands) | Syracusefan.com

Summer trip scheduled (Denver --> Rapid City --> Badlands)

Shrmdougluvr

Give it all to me fool!
So the Shrmdougluvrs are scheduled for a trip in August out to Denver for a few days, then renting a car and driving up to Rapid City to see Mt. Rushmore (maybe the Crazy Horse monument too), then to Badlands, then back to Denver to fly home. Flights are done.

Looking for recommendations about how to get around Denver (can we just "hoof it"/ride share/light rail), and some activities for Denver. Right now we're minimally thinking the Zoo, a Rockies game. What else should we hit? Keep in mind we're not "big" drinkers and we're traveling with a 13 year old and 10 year old so I'm not looking to spend the days hitting craft breweries and dispensaries (or whatever fund term CuseTroop used for them). Touristy stuff is fine. I don't need chugg21 telling me the only way to really experience The Rockies is by tickling a buffalo's scrotum, or something deeply cultural. The "Disney version" of things is fine.

As for Mr. Rushmore or Badlands, is there a recommended place to stay or way to see them? I always wanted to visit Vandamm's lair from North by Northwest but alas, it is a fiction.

Thanks in advance for all of your insights.

I would not go anywhere near rapid city if the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is going on, unless that is your thing.

It's not my thing and something i didnt even consider. Looks like it'll be all wrapped up though by the time we head out there.

Its A LOT of driving out there, but I second Custer State park.

Honestly, you can see badlands in a morning because you'll just drive through it and stop to take a few pictures. It will be HOT. I recommend against any significant hiking out there in August unless you're very prepared. Stop by Wall drugs because everyone does. Get a sticker.

Wind Cave national park is also out there, short drive from badlands. You'd need to check whether its open, its been closed for a while for some repairs/upgrades and if you can't go into the cave, its not worth it.

Theres a few scenic drives in Custer state park/Black hills national forest. Needles highway is a great drive and there are several shortish hikes worth pulling over to take. Iron mountain is a great drive as well with a bonus view of Mount Rushmore. Spearfish highway is a beautiful drive as well.

Devil's tower is about 90 minutes from Rapid City IIRC.

So the Shrmdougluvrs are scheduled for a trip in August out to Denver for a few days, then renting a car and driving up to Rapid City to see Mt. Rushmore (maybe the Crazy Horse monument too), then to Badlands, then back to Denver to fly home. Flights are done.

Looking for recommendations about how to get around Denver (can we just "hoof it"/ride share/light rail), and some activities for Denver. Right now we're minimally thinking the Zoo, a Rockies game. What else should we hit? Keep in mind we're not "big" drinkers and we're traveling with a 13 year old and 10 year old so I'm not looking to spend the days hitting craft breweries and dispensaries (or whatever fund term CuseTroop used for them). Touristy stuff is fine. I don't need chugg21 telling me the only way to really experience The Rockies is by tickling a buffalo's scrotum, or something deeply cultural. The "Disney version" of things is fine.

As for Mr. Rushmore or Badlands, is there a recommended place to stay or way to see them? I always wanted to visit Vandamm's lair from North by Northwest but alas, it is a fiction.

Been to all those so I’ll ponder this a bit. I’m guessing you’re not interested in strip club recommendations in Rapid…

That part of the country specializes in hotels with water parks which I’m guessing is exactly what your kids would love. Name is escaping me but I’ll google it in a minute.

Whats your planned route from Denver to Rapid?

Been to all those so I’ll ponder this a bit. I’m guessing you’re not interested in strip club recommendations in Rapid…

That part of the country specializes in hotels with water parks which I’m guessing is exactly what your kids would love. Name is escaping me but I’ll google it in a minute.

Great Wolf Lodge

We're going to head up through Wyoming and return through Nebraska. Going to stay at some cabins (either Badlands Frontier or Cedar Pass) one night. Not sure where we're staying in Rapid City yet. Looking at a Best Western near a new indoor water park.

We're going to head up through Wyoming and return through Nebraska. Going to stay at some cabins (either Badlands Frontier or Cedar Pass) one night. Not sure where we're staying in Rapid City yet. Looking at a Best Western near a new indoor water park.
Was going to suggest doing a scenic drive through Wyoming. Some serious beautiful ares out there.

It’s seriously rough on the soul, but driving through the Pine Ridge Reservation is something you should consider.

In Denver, cool day trips; Mt. Evans (highest paved road in the country), timed tickets are needed now

Mount Evans Recreation Area Timed Tickets

Recreation.gov
https://www.recreation.gov › timed-entry

Rocky Mountain National Park; also requires tickets now. I'd suggest buying as far in advance as possible as they do sell out.

Denver Museum of Nature and Science. Very cool things to see, never gets old.

Red Rocks Park and Amphitheater. Grab something to eat around there.

Wyoming, very underrated scenic wise, mainly in the more western parts, Wind River range is an amazing drive imo.

Camp in a tent out on the prairie and play old songs from the pioneer times, like "Bury me not, on the lone prairie".

We don't mind driving. when in SD, is there a better place to stay then Rapid City to access Mt Rushmore, Custer, etc.? The itinerary is basically just a drive up from Denver, arrive in the afternoon, spend two nights in the Rapid City area, one near Wall/Badlands, and drive back. It's quite condensed. Sight seeing is more of the goal.

How'd this go?

Got into Denver late Wednesday night. Flew Southwest out of Albany. I don't know how many here have flown out of Albany during an evening, but we made it from car to gate in like 10 minutes. Had a relatively quick, on time connection at Midway. Got out of Denver International pretty quickly and shuttled over to our Hyatt Place on 61st and Pena.

Next morning, took the commuter rail into Downtown. The RTD (Regional Transportation District) was free all week, which was nice from the standpoint of not having to figure out fares. Walked all over Downtown Denver after leaving our bags at the Hyatt Centric we stayed at (would recommend). The Mall (16th Street) was tore up, but we went to the big REI and Aquarium, which was neat because it featured a lot of freshwater species (and they had tigers for some reason). Ended up taking the light rail all the way out to the University of Denver, which we were impressed with. Had a couple ok meals.

Day 2 in Denver we Uber'd to the Zoo (larger than I anticipated) and then ate a late lunch at Three Margaritas, which was good. Went to the Rockies game that night. Coors Field was a great place to see a game. They love them some Charlie Blackmon.

Day 3 we rented a car (Chevy Traverse) and drove up to the Black Hills. We went up through Wyoming and stayed in Custer. The ride was fine. A little redundant. Custer was a good choice for a base of operation. We visited the Crazy Horse monument and watched a Native American dance demonstration (hoops).

Day 4 we did the Wildlife Loop in Custer, which we really enjoyed. Among other things, got right in the middle of one of the Bison herds (didn't touch their scrotes), and hiked part of the prairie trail, where we saw lots of prairie dogs. Prairie Dogs were noisy mofos that kinda look like a cross between a squirrel and a ground hog. Finished the loop after seeing the wild donkeys. Then took the Iron Highway up to Mount Rushmore, which was fine (I need to watch North by Northwest again). Then took the Needles Highway back to Custer (sketchy).

Day 5 we headed out of the Black Hills, through Rapid City, to Wall. Loved the 80 mph speed limit. Loved how campy Wall Drug was. Spent the late afternoon and evening in The Badlands, which was as astounding as advertised. Saw the Milky Way. It was about 100 degrees that day so we did almost all of our exploring by car.

Day 6 we headed back to Denver, through Nebraska this time. When you see "National Grassland," just think, utter waste of space. With the exception of Scottsbluff, saw more cattle than people until we got to the Denver suburbs. Don't remember much about what we did when we got back to Denver, but we stayed at the Grand Hyatt that evening. We did spend about $60 on ice cream at the Yard Milkshake Bar where an employee with a stoner-vibe chatted up the little Shrmdougluvrs about lacrosse.

Day 7 we walked over to and explored the State Capitol, then Uber'd to the Botanic Gardens. Enjoyed both. Took the train back to the airport and while busy, progressed steadily to our gate, where we had a direct flight back to Albany. Home by 11:30.

Overall, we all enjoyed the trip. Mrs. Shrmdougluvr really liked Denver. The vibe was active and polite. School bus stop like (you know, friendly because you have kids and the school in common, and you're only together for like 10 minutes, but you never really get more than superficially friendly). Everyone's dressed like their about to go on a hike or a jog. Lots and lots of homeless. The few locals we spoke with seemed to lament it. Although we saw some drug related behavior, they were not aggressive and I never felt unsafe. Denver was the only place I've ever been where the populace really uses those Lime Scooters. I assume that's because it's so flat its easy to get around. The pace of life seemed middling.

Didn't do anything with the Rockies and couldn't even really see them all that much. It was very hazy because it was mid to high 90s every day, and the air quality wasn't great.

Binged Deadwood before we left. Every time we went somewhere half nice in Custer, I'd think about Swearengen putting out canned peaches.

Custer State Park was very nice, and the wildlife loop was probably my favorite thing. Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore were both worth the stop. Totally dug Wall Drug. Badlands was otherworldly and definitely worth the long ride out.

We'll probably go back some day, but it would be easier if we had a reason (like a Syracuse game).

Last edited:
Too interesting for an edit (imho).

On Day 2, while out for dinner, I happened to notice what appeared to be multiple individuals wearing mascot costumes. Upon further inspection, they were FURRIES! So all through dinner, individuals wearing tails, sometimes full costumes, etc., kept casually walking by. My 13 year old got a pretty bad summer cold and thought he was having a fever dream. Apparently this was in town.

Anyway, they seemed like a jovial bunch just living their best life and letting their freak flags fly. Power to them.

A couple of additional observations I nearly real timed into the H0T Takes thread:

• Has a septum ring ever looked good on a woman (or on anyone for that matter)? Lots of ladies with those in Denver.
  • Almost everyone was tatted up. None of these people looked like they could fight. When did tattoos become so normative for nerds, dweebs, and artsy folk? In my day it was military men and bikers.

Got into Denver late Wednesday night. Flew Southwest out of Albany. I don't know how many here have flown out of Albany during an evening, but we made it from car to gate in like 10 minutes. Had a relatively quick, on time connection at Midway. Got out of Denver International pretty quickly and shuttled over to our Hyatt Place on 61st and Pena.

Next morning, took the commuter rail into Downtown. The RTD (Regional Transportation District) was free all week, which was nice from the standpoint of not having to figure out fares. Walked all over Downtown Denver after leaving our bags at the Hyatt Centric we stayed at (would recommend). The Mall (16th Street) was tore up, but we went to the big REI and Aquarium, which was neat because it featured a lot of freshwater species (and they had tigers for some reason). Ended up taking the light rail all the way out to the University of Denver, which we were impressed with. Had a couple ok meals.

Day 2 in Denver we Uber'd to the Zoo (larger than I anticipated) and then ate a late lunch at Three Margaritas, which was good. Went to the Rockies game that night. Coors Field was a great place to see a game. They love them some Charlie Blackmon.

Day 3 we rented a car (Chevy Traverse) and drove up to the Black Hills. We went up through Wyoming and stayed in Custer. The ride was fine. A little redundant. Custer was a good choice for a base of operation. We visited the Crazy Horse monument and watched a Native American dance demonstration (hoops).

Day 4 we did the Wildlife Loop in Custer, which we really enjoyed. Among other things, got right in the middle of one of the Bison herds (didn't touch their scrotes), and hiked part of the prairie trail, where we saw lots of prairie dogs. Prairie Dogs were noisy mofos that kinda look like a cross between a squirrel and a ground hog. Finished the loop after seeing the wild donkeys. Then took the Iron Highway up to Mount Rushmore, which was fine (I need to watch North by Northwest again). Then took the Needles Highway back to Custer (sketchy).

Day 5 we headed out of the Black Hills, through Rapid City, to Wall. Loved the 80 mph speed limit. Loved how campy Wall Drug was. Spent the late afternoon and evening in The Badlands, which was as astounding as advertised. Saw the Milky Way. It was about 100 degrees that day so we did almost all of our exploring by car.

Day 6 we headed back to Denver, through Nebraska this time. When you see "National Grassland," just think, utter waste of space. With the exception of Scottsbluff, saw more cattle than people until we got to the Denver suburbs. Don't remember much about what we did when we got back to Denver, but we stayed at the Grand Hyatt that evening. We did spend about $60 on ice cream at the Yard Milkshake Bar where an employee with a stoner-vibe chatted up the little Shrmdougluvrs about lacrosse.

Day 7 we walked over to and explored the State Capitol, then Uber'd to the Botanic Gardens. Enjoyed both. Took the train back to the airport and while busy, progressed steadily to our gate, where we had a direct flight back to Albany. Home by 11:30.

Overall, we all enjoyed the trip. Mrs. Shrmdougluvr really liked Denver. The vibe was active and polite. School bus stop like (you know, friendly because you have kids and the school in common, and you're only together for like 10 minutes, but you never really get more than superficially friendly). Everyone's dressed like their about to go on a hike or a jog. Lots and lots of homeless. The few locals we spoke with seemed to lament it. Although we saw some drug related behavior, they were not aggressive and I never felt unsafe. Denver was the only place I've ever been where the populace really uses those Lime Scooters. I assume that's because it's so flat its easy to get around. The pace of life seemed middling.

Didn't do anything with the Rockies and couldn't even really see them all that much. It was very hazy because it was mid to high 90s every day, and the air quality wasn't great.

Binged Deadwood before we left. Every time we went somewhere half nice in Custer, I'd think about Swearengen putting out canned peaches.

Custer State Park was very nice, and the wildlife loop was probably my favorite thing. Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore were both worth the stop. Totally dug Wall Drug. Badlands was otherworldly and definitely worth the long ride out.

We'll probably go back some day, but it would be easier if we had a reason (like a Syracuse game).

Should've tickled the scrotums. Kids would've remembered it forever.

I think you summed up Denver pretty dam accurately. Bill Burr had that take on everyone in Colorado dressed like they're going on a hike. Yes, the homeless issue is crazy here, as well as those stupid scooters. I also asked why there were lions at the aquarium. They do love them some Charlie Blackmon. There's probably more tattoo shops than anything other than weed stores. Yeah the 16th St mall will be totally different when they're done. That used to be the #1 tourist attraction for Denver. It went down hill and now trying to renovate that.

Glad you had a good time though