Sunday morning coffee thoughts…. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sunday morning coffee thoughts….

I get being excited about the backup QB, but you guys did realize he threw the ball over the line, right? That’s what inexperienced QBs do under duress, among other things. Why would we sign up for that unless we have to?
Respectfully, I saw that throw as being legal on replay. It was close.
For those that don't know, throw is legal as long as some/any part of the body is behind the LOS.
Here is a screen grab. The LOS was the 47 yard line. This was a good throw, but remember, there was offensive holding on the play, so the play would have been nullified in either instance. But, we would have been able to replay the down (it would've been 3rd & 24 if offensive holding was the call).
LOS Pass Purdue.png

Respectfully, I saw that throw as being legal on replay. It was close.
For those that don't know, throw is legal as long as some/any part of the body is behind the LOS.
Here is a screen grab. The LOS was the 47 yard line. This was a good throw, but remember, there was offensive holding on the play, so the play would have been nullified in either instance. But, we would have been able to replay the down (it would've been 3rd & 24 if offensive holding was the call).View attachment 220117
It was close, but he was over. Even in your still the ball isn’t out of his hands yet, right?

Point being, we have a legit starting QB who’s among the more productive guys at his position in the conference. Football results hinge on a razors edge — a few plays determine wins and losses in many games. So I have no interest in playing the backup QB who has almost no game experience just because.

I think people are way out over their skis on this one.

I can’t speak to the game thread, and want to clarify that OiG and I are NOT calling for ANYBODY to relace GS.

Or to platoon with him.

We’re just saying that, in games that are well in hand, that it would be nice to work CDRW in so:
A - he can get some live game reps
B - avoid Shrader taking any more hits than he needs to.

That’s it. That’s all.

This isn’t fans clamoring for Tommy to start over Dungey or anything remotely of the sort.

Now - if people were saying or alluding to such things in the game thread -
They are dumbasses.
Understood, and I wasn't calling out anyone in particular in this thread.

Brought our B- game and won. Says a lot.

A couple people have made this comment. There's a difference between "bringing" a B- or C game and "playing" one. It remains to be seen what this team's ceiling is.

Not quibbling about the "winning" part. A or D, I'll take the win and the team played hard and with character regardless.

Amazing - in the game thread - how quickly the usual suspects (who have never been fans of Shrader) climb up from the floorboards to start calling for the backup. Didn't hear much from them the first two games.

Tucker has a less than stellar game and he earns (rightly) the benefit of the doubt; With Shrader? Off with his head!

There are going to be highs and lows, but Shrader has earned enough leash from me to let things play out. Even in games when things weren't going well with his passing(going back to last year), he seems to pull a rabbit out of a hat when it is needed (VTech, Getting into OT with Wake, yesterday, etc.).
Shrader is the #1 without question. He had a relatively bad day(questions as to his health) but gutted out a win. Really what more can you ask from the guy. It is time for everyone to just stop with their negative spins.

Agreed 144%.

Dude doesn’t look flustered at all, just comes in cold and does what he hasta do.

Even though that play got called back - he was at least a yard past the LOS - it just showed what he’s capable of doing:
Extended the play, avoided taking a sack, ran and kept his eyes up, then threw a laser to the WR.

Here’s hoping we can get up 2-3 scores against UVA, so CDRW can get some run in the 2nd half.
And then play a bunch vs Wagner, before the 3rd string QB comes in for mop up duty.

Sorry to disagree, but committing a penalty (throwing a forward pass beyond the LOS) on a play is literally the definition of NOT doing what he "hasta" do.

It was a nice escape and throw (other than being beyond the LOS). I think he shows potential, but there were two penalties on that play and, in general, it was all F'ed up. But it was fun to watch; more fun to re-watch when the outcome is no longer in doubt.

I don't care how much time he gets; that's up to Dino, Anae and Beck. I think they'll figure it out.

I don’t want to give anyone too much time off. We’ve been lousy after bye weeks. We don’t need to give guys two weeks off.

It was close, but he was over. Even in your still the ball isn’t out of his hands yet, right?

Point being, we have a legit starting QB who’s among the more productive guys at his position in the conference. Football results hinge on a razors edge — a few plays determine wins and losses in many games. So I have no interest in playing the backup QB who has almost no game experience just because.

I think people are way out over their skis on this one.
Well, it is 1/100 of a second from leaving his hand the his foot is behind the LOS. It may not have been reversed on replay (not definitive enough), but the video+logic tells me it was a legal forward pass.

But again, to no avail. We were almost assuredly punting anyhow.

I am buoyant on Del-Rio Wilson. Really excited. But I hope he doesn't take significant snaps until 2024 season.

You got to give Garrett a pass on the misses when he puts everything on the money that last drive. Tucker gave us nothinig and its clear that Shrader is taking a beating out there and starting to feel it.

If Tucker plays well against UVA Shrader will too.

I will be a bit more worried about GS(and Tucker) if they look like this against UVA. Should be much more opportunity to move the ball, Purdue is excellent and underrated defensively. Plus Garrett was apparently sick this week, he is human and that, not just Purdue’s D, likely contributed to his uneven day

You got to give Garrett a pass on the misses when he puts everything on the money that last drive. Tucker gave us nothinig and its clear that Shrader is taking a beating out there and starting to feel it.

He got really creamed on a run early in the game, flipped to his head, impacting in a way that I thought would be a serious injury. He got up and just kept playing. 99 out of 100 people would not have, it was a terrible looking tackle.

He put one throw on the money on the last drive, and thankfully that was all we needed. But his first throw could have been picked, and he led two other passes too far outside.

Anea clearly wanted to pick on that side of the field, since I think almost every pass was 15-ish yards downfield to the same spot.

I like Shrader a lot but he was off nearly all day. Did a ton with his legs though, which we’ve been lacking since Dungey left.

I'm still giddy with the win. What a game. I was hoping to be able to stay in CNY another week to go to the Purdue game but it was not to be. I was able to watch it from my hilltop refuge in Colorado and have watched it several times this morning. What a game. We were so fortunate to win. The defense was indeed a mob. O'Connell was unstoppable with Jones & Durham, but his pick 6 to Caleb was huge. Purdue lost in the end because they lost their poise. They had a lot of penalties but the ones at the end were devastating.

This version of SU football has that special quality of team cohesiveness that wins close games. It was apparent in the Louisville game, too. This team has more high fiving and intersquad support than I've seen in recent years. There is leadership and passion in every element... offense, defense, fans, and coaching. What a win when we lost the stats game. Kudos to all. LGO!!

Hard pass.

We have a starting QB. I don’t want anyone learning on the job when we have a good season in the works. Football is a random sport, I don’t want to give away any possessions unnecessarily.

Ideally he’ll get time against Wagner.
My thought is it would be helpful to Shrader to keep some tread on those tires.

I think shrader was very hesitant yesterday and was more so looking to scramble then find the open guy. Missed tucker on a DL down the field. (Kudos to the DE making a hell of a play for him, but just a terrible ball).

That was a rope by CDRW. It is very apparent that Shraders arm is extremely week for a D1 QB but he is getting he job done. I was impressed by the Purdue defense. Better than I expected.

Looked to me Purdue sold out to stop Tucker. We needed to throw the ball to run. Make them adjust. And the one play it looked like Tucker had some room to create he dropped the ball on the pitch. Purdue has allowed 3.1, 1.8, 3.4(most of the damage by shrader) yards per carry on the ground this year. Penn state went on to average 6.9 and 6.3 in there next two games. Purdue obviously has a tremendous run stopping team.

Thought the refs were pretty even for both teams. Thought there was a bad spot on the first 3rd down of the game when they gave them a first down without measuring. Looked short of line to gain. Thought that play jake was talking about being uncatchable was the correct call. There was a ton of contact which didn’t even allow our guy to even attempt getting to the ball, so I believe it was PI. I thought the interception of the flee flicker was ticky tack. I didn’t think there was a whole ton of contact, the defender was face guarding but the contact was very minimal.

All in all, Hell of a win for not our best game. Gotta put some of that on the coaching staff and the JMA & Fans!!!! You can win games like that at home!!!!
Semantics here i know but the ball to Tucker wasn't terrible. It was underthrown but catchable if the DE doesn't get his finger tips on it. Catchable balls aren't terrible. Allen threw a terrible ball, 5 feet over the receivers head out of bounds is terrible. Underthrown but catchable is by definition not terrible. That said a better ball is an easy TD there.

I can’t speak to the game thread, and want to clarify that OiG and I are NOT calling for ANYBODY to relace GS.

Or to platoon with him.

We’re just saying that, in games that are well in hand, that it would be nice to work CDRW in so:
A - he can get some live game reps
B - avoid Shrader taking any more hits than he needs to.

That’s it. That’s all.

This isn’t fans clamoring for Tommy to start over Dungey or anything remotely of the sort.

Now - if people were saying or alluding to such things in the game thread -
They are dumbasses.
I mean, I did say in the game thread that it looked like Purdue had Shrader figured out, and/or he just didn't look right, and it might be worth shaking this up by throwing something at them they haven't seen in CD-RW.

Obviously we made an incredible come back and Shrader ended up throwing some great TDs, but he was well under 50% passing and got bailed out of two interceptions.

Game results matter. Throwing that game winning TD matters. It erases a lot of sins, so to speak.

But for a chunk of that game we had nothing going, and that went into the 3rd Q too when Shrader looked like he was just holding on to the ball.

He got really creamed on a run early in the game, flipped to his head, impacting in a way that I thought would be a serious injury. He got up and just kept playing. 99 out of 100 people would not have, it was a terrible looking tackle.
I believe that is overstating it. Never want to see a guy land like that but it didn't look that bad

Exciting game; thank God for my strong heart!
Loads of miscues and yet this team is determined to win!

We must continue to improve our offensive production and the QB/WR connection. Need to find creative ways to get Tucker involved when a D is scheming to take him out of the game!

Purdue WR’s getting behind our DB’s way too much!

The Mob stiffened when it needed to!

Gotta love this teams determination to win!

60F32C79-A3AE-47E8-B484-24A8F8B8D9F8.jpeg

I mean, I did say in the game thread that it looked like Purdue had Shrader figured out, and/or he just didn't look right, and it might be worth shaking this up by throwing something at them they haven't seen in CD-RW.

Obviously we made an incredible come back and Shrader ended up throwing some great TDs, but he was well under 50% passing and got bailed out of two interceptions.

Game results matter. Throwing that game winning TD matters. It erases a lot of sins, so to speak.

But for a chunk of that game we had nothing going, and that went into the 3rd Q too when Shrader looked like he was just holding on to the ball.
I'm not sure that Shrader was 100%. At the press conference he said he was dealing with some stuff this week. He didnt elaborate. He was clutch when he needed to be but takes a lot of hits along the way. I'm glad he'll have a week off before NC State.

Purdue focused on Tucker and kept his numbers down, but he was still a force. He helped to keep Purdue's pass rush away from Shrader on numerous plays. He blocked, was a great decoy, ran the ball, and caught the ball. He's a team player. I hope he has a big day against Virginia. Sorry, Hoo.

i believe Shrader’s own words were something like “I played the worst first half I could possibly have played.”

Not sure why some get sensitive about people in the game thread saying he’s playing bad….when he’s playing bad.

He got it going for stretches in the second half and made an incredible throw to win the game. But he didn’t play well at all for a lot of the game. Seems he was sick during the week, so that’s obviously part of it.

This was the first down play on SU’s second drive in the first quarter. Watching from in the Dome, I was amazed he got back up as quickly as he did.
7870FBDE-78F0-4040-AC48-F76DE68B1D1D.jpeg

The Locked On podcast interviewed the beat writer for Purdues local newspaper and he described the Purdue d line coach as one of the best, if not the best, in the country. Possibly this could be the toughest d line we play all year. They looked well coached and disciplined.
Dude we play clemson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom