Sunday morning coffee thoughts…. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Sunday morning coffee thoughts….

It was close, but he was over. Even in your still the ball isn’t out of his hands yet, right?

Point being, we have a legit starting QB who’s among the more productive guys at his position in the conference. Football results hinge on a razors edge — a few plays determine wins and losses in many games. So I have no interest in playing the backup QB who has almost no game experience just because.

I think people are way out over their skis on this one.

His time will come, and I think he looks the part.

But we have a QB1, so he should keep getting backup snaps in practice, and hopefully a lot of snaps in the Wagner game.

He just arrived in the summer, didn't get to participate in spring ball. So he needs more time, and outside of garbage time or helmets coming off, shouldn't be thrown in the deep end.

We play a lot of good QBs this year. When all is said and done, I think we might say we just faced the best of them. His throws to Jones were pinpoint. Williams never had bad coverage, but they were thrown perfectly.

It's pretty amazing how we overcame all our mistakes yesterday (although Purdue made some humungous ones too).

Shrader was just off so many times, or overly hesitant the entire 2nd quarter. But then just make that absolutely perfect throw at the end. After Mang got beat badly and that guy is about to light him up. I guess that's baseball, er football Suzyn.

EDIT: I also love that Shrader called himself out in the postgame for missing Gadsden earlier. And first thing he did was thank the D and special teams for keeping us in the game while he was struggling.

I think the Dakota Davis experiment at tackle needs to be evaluated. He got beat off the ball quite a bit yesterday and Ellis seemed gassed all game. The coaches will probably wait until Wagner to do any line shuffling, but it’s apparent that Dakota is a guard in a tackle’s clothing.

I maintain that Purdue’s punt at the 13:00 mark in 2Q grazed Purdue player #29 at the 25 yard line. It was a great punt and I know the bell rolled down to the 10. But I wonder if the SU players should have just picked it up and run it in. I think the refs either missed it, or swallowed their whistles because SU was letting the ball roll slowly down to the 10.

If we pull away from Virginia it won’t be till the 2nd half. People are overlooking this game. Huge trap.
Honestly if we lose to UVA it would have to be because Armstrong goes off and did what O’Connell did. Even then, Cuse offense should have a much better day against that UVA defense than Purdue. Virginia just hasn’t looked strong this year. Friday night in a rocking dome I think the team will be ready to go. If it was Saturday noon with NC state the following week I’d agree

Rather than make separate replies, I'll save band width and make these bullet points:

- Shrader is a running quarterback who can pass. O'Connell is a PASSER.

- We had a #87. He's not tearing it up down at Georgia Tech but we had one.

- Ja'Had Carter's play in the end zone was not "screening". He reached out to tip the ball away.

- Purdue may lack a running game but their passing game is as good as it gets and their defense is very under-rated. I hope they run the table and make us look good.

- Virginia hasn't looked good so far this year but they aren't Connecticut and they certainly aren't Wagner. That's not a game to experiment with. Just win, it, baby!

- Shrader will get 2 weeks off after the Wagner game. We have the bye the week of the 8th. if he didn't play at all against Wagner, he'd take the field vs. NC State having not played in three weeks. Would that be good for him? Beat the Cavs, shoot down the Seahawks in the first half and then start preparing for the Wolfpack.

- CD-RW is clearly a talent but clearly a raw talent. I'm glad Becker will have a couple of years with him before we really need him. Of course, we might need him before that. That's what practice and the Wagner game is for.

I'm not sure that Shrader was 100%. At the press conference he said he was dealing with some stuff this week. He didnt elaborate. He was clutch when he needed to be but takes a lot of hits along the way. I'm glad he'll have a week off before NC State.

Purdue focused on Tucker and kept his numbers down, but he was still a force. He helped to keep Purdue's pass rush away from Shrader on numerous plays. He blocked, was a great decoy, ran the ball, and caught the ball. He's a team player. I hope he has a big day against Virginia. Sorry, Hoo.

Even if he was not 100%, most of the issues was in his head and not physical. He had open guys but couldn't find them. The Purdue QB knew were to throw it before he even caught the snap. Shrader was looking around and around.

I get being excited about the backup QB, but you guys did realize he threw the ball over the line, right? That’s what inexperienced QBs do under duress, among other things. Why would we sign up for that unless we have to?
Looks a little like something bad is going to happen every snap as well. With time that’ll improve.

Respectfully, I saw that throw as being legal on replay. It was close.
For those that don't know, throw is legal as long as some/any part of the body is behind the LOS.
Here is a screen grab. The LOS was the 47 yard line. This was a good throw, but remember, there was offensive holding on the play, so the play would have been nullified in either instance. But, we would have been able to replay the down (it would've been 3rd & 24 if offensive holding was the call).View attachment 220117

Correct, the refs were wrong on this one, but thankfully for them they had also called the (I think) 4th Holding Penalty on us of the Half

Give Purdue credit, they beat us up front on both sides of the ball. Could Definitely see them winning their side of the big.

Thought Shrader played marginally. Missed Gadsen on the goal line and a wide open wheel route to Tucker. Needs to be more consistently good rather than occasionally great as someone would say.

I know it was only one play, but that was a frozen rope into a tight window by rewritable CD yesterday. The future looks bright at QB.

I would give my right arm for a TE like #87. Without the character flaw. Hope Vallari can be that guy.

Not sure what to make of our WRs, but Gadsen looks to be emerging as the go to guy. Shrader needs to trust his WRs more and let some throws rip. We have size and should be able to win 50-50 balls.

Our OL did not get any push up front - just no room for #34 to get loose. Need to be better than that.

Quick thought about the officiating- thought they were pretty consistent on the PI calls. They allowed some contact…but not the egregious grabs. Thought we got a favorable call on an uncatchable ball in the first half, but that late PI on Jones was the right call. The bear hug prevented him from potentially getting to that throw.

Their Jones was really good at creating separation with subtle nudges. He was fantastic.

Let’s get through the next 2 weeks healthy and 5-0 and maybe have a special day vs NCState.
Well done

Amazing - in the game thread - how quickly the usual suspects (who have never been fans of Shrader) climb up from the floorboards to start calling for the backup. Didn't hear much from them the first two games.

Tucker has a less than stellar game and he earns (rightly) the benefit of the doubt; With Shrader? Off with his head!

There are going to be highs and lows, but Shrader has earned enough leash from me to let things play out. Even in games when things weren't going well with his passing(going back to last year), he seems to pull a rabbit out of a hat when it is needed (VTech, Getting into OT with Wake, yesterday, etc.).
Shrader threw one of the best TD passes any of has ever seen in the Dome with 7 seconds to go.

He’s been terrific this year.

This was the first down play on SU’s second drive in the first quarter. Watching from in the Dome, I was amazed he got back up as quickly as he did.View attachment 220121
I thought the exact same thing watching this play live (had a perfect view). Shrader's body bounced from the impact of his head hitting the turf like that with the force of his full body weight. I think he might have dodged a bullet in terms of the potential this play had for causing a serious injury.

Shrader threw one of the best TD passes any of has ever seen in the Dome with 7 seconds to go.

He’s been terrific this year.

He's clutch. That's for sure.

I thought the exact same thing watching this play live (had a perfect view). Shrader's body bounced from the impact of his head hitting the turf like that with the force of his full body weight. I think he might have dodged a bullet in terms of the potential this play had for causing a serious injury.
I had a play like that in highschool. It happened really fast, and I didn't even realize I bounced off my head.

I felt ill watching film.

I had a play like that in highschool. It happened really fast, and I didn't even realize I bounced off my head.

I felt ill watching film.
That actually explains a lot of things...

Seriously though, glad you were OK OttoinGrotto - you are one of my favorite posters. Your Kick 'Em in the *#*! campaign is snowballing into something that has caught fire.

Seriously though, glad you were OK OttoinGrotto - you are one of my favorite posters. Your Kick 'Em in the *#*! campaign is snowballing into something that has caught fire.
Yeah, believe me, I know that phrase is incredibly stupid, but... it's part of what's working this season, I think.

It would be nice if you added a lot of tge positive stuff SU did but I guess there are a lot of fans that only see the not so great.
Comstock did that.

One of the things I cheer when we are on defense is "Knock him on his butt and kick him in the nuts!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom